Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

[quote="VW_Jimbo"]
Dan22 wrote:
I like the smiling shoe! Laughing (last picture).

Looking good on the car progress too!

Smiling Shoe...Yes!!

How about the," JIMBO was here"!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great PROGRESS!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

[quote="MACJELLY58"]
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Dan22 wrote:
I like the smiling shoe! Laughing (last picture).

Looking good on the car progress too!

Smiling Shoe...Yes!!

How about the," JIMBO was here"!!

Great PROGRESS!!

Yep! There is the goon I have been drawing on hidden panels, during the construction process for 5 decades. As a kid, from age 7, to 18. Plus on the weekends during school. Then as a young adult, while wrenching all day long. I would work on my own 1908 home or on neighbors homes. It was side money to the automotive tech job I had full time! After giving the automotive thing up, I went and started my own business. Started 2 more since then, the last one, "Jim Was Here", having gone the distance. 22 years and counting! And that goon has been on the side of my truck all that time. It was on the old 82 Chevy diesel C20 and is on the Chevy 2500HD diesel. Rolls around carrying 10,000 pounds of tools on it! Even has a VW sticker on it and tooling to rescue a VW. It also serves as the tow truck for the Bugs as well. As I am sure you have seen in the bringing it home pictures!

Good eyes!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Another 2 hours. At this point it is almost not worth it, as unburying the Bug and then reburying it takes most of the time. But, who cares. Forward progress was made, again!

Double checked the fit of the trunk floor panel and then tacked it in! What a moment!!!!

Time allowed me to weld the front edge into place, grind that all down and spray some weld through on it, so I can return to fill a few pin holes. I then checked placement and fit of the tank. Man, it has been a while since that has been touched, let alone placed into its spot! I then laid a trail of plug welds on the upper seam. The amount of flex at the lower (radio) dash area is astounding with the trunk floor out. I had to pull it into the trunk a quarter of an inch to get it looking right! I am guessing at its final spot, due to not thinking of measuring it.

Got something done! Next up is grinding that top seam down and then welding in the sides. That is not going to be fun, since I will need to weld upside down! I am thinking Rotisserie. Then I could get the front area of the heater channels welded up to, and several other items.

Yep, thinking about it, next up is to remove the pan and see if the Bug will retain its shape. If it will, then onto a Rotisserie. Then mount the Bug. Finish cleaning up the lower areas I need to address. Then double check everything and off to the blasters! So, in a 6 months! Let see what happens!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Hey Jim, progress is progress, every little bit adds up. As we say in the aerospace business, "How do you eat a whole elephant?"

"One spoonful at a time!"

You'll get there before you know it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Hey Jim, progress is progress, every little bit adds up. As we say in the aerospace business, "How do you eat a whole elephant?"

"One spoonful at a time!"

You'll get there before you know it.

I also live by that philosophy! It was begrudgingly given to me by my father. As a kid, maybe 8 or 9. He had a custom cabinet shop and a lot of small scrap pieces of wood. He refused to throw it away, “we can burn it in the fireplace during the winter.” It was a motto of his. He chimed it every time a piece was actually thrown away!

Anyways, a few years of this madness goes by and I get the orders handed down to me that the wood pile must be removed!!!! What!?!? Did the old man lose it? Anyways, without a question or any protesting (since those only lead to a good attitude adjustment in the past), I grab one of the carts and a 20 gallon steel barrel and would fill it up, roll the cart over the heavily damaged asphalt over to the 3 yard bin and throw it into that, one piece at a time. I was not strong enough, yet, to lift a full barrel. I did this task, everyday, not Sundays, upon arriving after school during the week and on Saturdays after sports. It took just under a year! It was a LARGE pile of wood! Did I say that?!?!

All that to say, that was my introduction to that methodology of thought! It has served me very well through the years. And when I reflect upon those (at the times “mean”) hard lessons. I reflect with a smile and happiness in my heart. I truly know the meaning of WORK.

Man, you got me up on my soap box!

Thanks for looking in on me! It so much helps!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Jimbo, I've spent a few days looking over your thread and I want to thank you for sharing your skill and expertise with the Samba community. Your knowledge and skills are very impressive and just photographing and documenting it all is a major undertaking in and of itself. Following your progress and looking forward to seeing the finished product.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

5500 wrote:
Jimbo, I've spent a few days looking over your thread and I want to thank you for sharing your skill and expertise with the Samba community. Your knowledge and skills are very impressive and just photographing and documenting it all is a major undertaking in and of itself. Following your progress and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks! And sorry it is so long! I knew it was going to be a BIG project but really under estimated the extent of the rust. I knew it was everywhere, BUT IT IS EVERYWHERE! That’s okay. I am in it for the long haul! I am just hoping to get some time in on it this weekend!

Happy 4th! Now, GET OUT AND GO HAVE FUN!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

So, 42 PAGES INTO IT and I am finally going to build a rotisserie!!!

The car feels pretty solid, so with that I am going to suspend it from its bumper mount points. Anyone opposed? Maybe I could incorporate the body to pan bolt locations as well. We will see what happens! Right now, with the limited time between work and vacations, I am lucky to even touch the Bug. I did managed to squeeze a trip to the steel supplier during work time!!!!

Here’s my pile of tubing!

Took Monday off and after I crawled out of bed and drank a few Mochas, I felt like cutting and pasting steel together. I found a thread by Evil_Fiz that was nicely thought out and drawn with measurements. So instead of redesigning the wheel, I went to town! Thank you Evil_Fiz!!!!

Here is Evil Fiz’s thread on the subject.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714077&highlight=type++rotisserie

And what his looks like.

And here is my stack of pieces!

Cutting a radius to create a clean joint.

And the first end piece welded together! That is a ton of work!

Now, I have 2 weekends full of vacation time. Not getting back to it till then.

See you on the Flippity Flop!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

AH! An update.

That is a hell of a stack of steel.
How did you radius the tubing for the pivot section? Grind, or notch tool?

Thanks for the tutorial on the rear fender repair. I fd up one of my rear fenders memorial Day weekend and it needs the edge fold repaired to make it whole again. Damn thing is rubbing my rear tire.

Keep up the great work.

And enjoy the vacation time. You deserve the time off after the last year of hell that you and the rest of the world have been through.

Take care Brah!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
AH! An update.

That is a hell of a stack of steel.
How did you radius the tubing for the pivot section? Grind, or notch tool?

Thanks for the tutorial on the rear fender repair. I fd up one of my rear fenders memorial Day weekend and it needs the edge fold repaired to make it whole again. Damn thing is rubbing my rear tire.

Keep up the great work.

And enjoy the vacation time. You deserve the time off after the last year of hell that you and the rest of the world have been through.

Take care Brah!

HELL OF A STACK! It is not cheap either. I actually hesitated when the cashier stated the total. “Did you double the weight?”, we’re the first words out of my mouth. He said, “No sir. Cash, credit or a check?” He did not even flinch saying that to me. That’s the moment I knew that I had officially moved up in maturity. Really wish I was younger and had no idea what steel cost 20 years ago!

Radiusing the tubing was easy! Used my 3” cut off disc. After segmenting out the fall off side, very close to my line. I set a brand new disc on the cut off tool and with the edge, weaseled the material up to the line. The disc was very, very close to the radius I needed. Lucky!

You are welcome! I try to input as much as I can during these processes. Each one is a little bit different in some fashion. My entire goal with these build threads is for the future me, to have a source to refer to for a “known” way of taking care of business. I read and see a lot of wrong ways, everyday of my life. Someone has to show a better approach, for those that “wing it” in between, work, family and friends - right?

And thank you for the well wishes! Me and the wifey are heading up the coast line with our best friends. We are starting our trip at our local brewery (my 2nd home) and from there driving to another brewery. We are going on a brewery tour. I would love to find the perfect chocolate stout! The four of us enjoy the atmosphere of our local watering hole and are going to see what the California coast, up to San Francisco, has to offer. Going to have a blast!

Thanks for looking in on me! I’ll be back in 3 weeks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I would try to put hole on the tube at different angle so you can slide a rod in it and keep the body to that angle. aftert that you can use the strap as the person did for the karmann ghia.

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
I would try to put hole on the tube at different angle so you can slide a rod in it and keep the body to that angle. aftert that you can use the strap as the person did for the karmann ghia.

Agreed! That is not the finished product, not yet. Still got to add some additional supports for side ways movement and front to back movement.

I was going to weld on a threaded nut and use a 12 inch long bolt, bent at a 90 degree angle, so that I could twist it to lock or unlock the pivot, as needed.

The strap thing is not for me. That looked too sketchy!!!! My luck and one of those would snap in the night and allow the car to fall over onto the other car in the garage!

Thanks for looking in on me! I will always take anything offered or called out. I am not above learning ANYTHING!

I was hoping to get some time in on the Bug today, but instead I have to study for an ICC test. Looking forwards, into my future, to be a city building inspector. My old bones do not have too much more time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

ROTISSERIE !! Popcorn

I'm excited! This is also in my future, and of course...I got no clue. I had also admired Evil Fiz’s thread. I was thinking of something workable but, less permanent. I'll try and piece ideas together from all the great examples. Really looking forward to your "special' inputs and additions. Popcorn
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

On vacation right now! Back at it in a few weeks! Stay tuned!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Here is my rotisserie if it helps spark any interest in build design.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Volksvr6gti wrote:
Here is my rotisserie if it helps spark any interest in build design.

I like it Doug! Got any dimensions? I was thinking of just attaching to the bumper support brackets and the rear body mount points at the front and rear.. ....... But if looks like you have a proven design, so why go recreating the wheel!

I am back for a few days, before heading to Havasu! So tomorrow, I am planning on figuring it all out and getting the Bug on it. Well, my fingers are crossed.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Alright, vacations over!

It's time for an update.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Sorry man. You are going to have to wait a few more weeks! I blew my back out in Havasu. Not sure what happened, but it puts me in extreme pain. I think I stressed, strained, pulled or just exhausted my back muscles, pushing the boat around. You know, the big guy gets to push the boat off the shore after everyone gets back on it! Anyways, I spent last weekend on the couch with a heating pad and an ice bag, with lots of Motrin pumping through my system. Today, finally, I am down to 1 Motrin and was super careful lifting or twisting today. That a good sign!!!

Gonna wait another weekend before I get back out to the Bug. It is hard to sit still all day, but it is easier to wait, then to be in pain at every twist, bend or straightening!

Thanks brother, for checking in on me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your back issue.
I'm lucky. I've never really had any back problems.

Too bad you don't live closer. My nephew makes some killer CBD balm that really relaxes soar muscles. He applied some to a soar knee a couple years ago while we were on a camping trip. 20 minutes later? No knee pain. Fn amazing stuff.

Take is easy and heal up. You'll be back at it in no time.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Thanks Perry! Going head out to the garage in 30 minutes. Feeling good! Just going take it easy and get reacquainted with what I need to do!

Baby steps!

Update: Twisted wrong within the first 15 minutes. Back to the couch I went! Sorry! Maybe next weekend!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 87

Jump to: