Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

brake parts inc. has recalled master cylinders sold as napa m4840,raybestos mc391232 and ac delco 18m2578 for not being crimped together properly and the rod falling out...these masters fit 2012 -17 new beetles, 2005-2018 jettas and 07-10 gli's....the one year old one in my sons 2014 jetta just decided to lock all 4 wheels and the only way to get the car to move was to crack open both brake lines at the master...and according to its casting letter its not part of the recall(yet?) but covered under ac delco 2 yr warranty
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

Fretting but... staying clear from second-rate parts!

Wondering why a 2014 car needs to swap a factory master cylinder, running a 10 year-plus one, no issues. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

Good information but I too steer clear from those manufacturers.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

pathetically enough my son claimed the low fluid light was coming on all the time and he kept having to add fluid...no visible leaks anywhere...so i assumed the master was leaking into the booster ...so i ordered one...vw wanted $360 for theirs...ac delco is originial equipment for general motors...so theoretically i wasnt ordering a no name piece of crap... when i finally pulled the master surprise the inside of the booster was dry...but i already had it too long to return so i installed the new one anyway...some days you just cant win
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
pathetically enough my son claimed the low fluid light was coming on all the time and he kept having to add fluid...no visible leaks anywhere...so i assumed the master was leaking into the booster ...so i ordered one...vw wanted $360 for theirs...ac delco is originial equipment for general motors...so theoretically i wasnt ordering a no name piece of crap... when i finally pulled the master surprise the inside of the booster was dry...but i already had it too long to return so i installed the new one anyway...some days you just cant win

... there's a saying here in the neck of woods (Europe) that 'merican AC Delco General Motors, Ford & Co Inc' is very cheap, hardly enduring.
Opinions! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

Many companies just rebox parts. I doubt if AC Delco is making European parts.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:

You might want to check the steel brake lines carefully anywhere they are near or in contact with any other part of the car. I had a 91 8v GTI and the steel coiled fabric wrapped preheater tube would just lightly rub one of the brake lines. The steel coil is harder than the brake line and over time rubbed it enough to open up a pinhole leak. No visible leaks but the fluid level kept dropping. After I did find it, the dealer wouldn't report it to VW as a safety issue but did kindly offer to fix it for something like $400. F that. Just got some new line, bender, and flaring tool at Napa and did it myself.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

the actual problem was a left rear caliper that leaked out the shaft for the parking brake lever...guess it only did it now and then and whenever we checked it wasnt leaking and the rain washed it clean...finally it puked completely...2014 shouldnt need a master? true...and it shouldnt need a caliper either...i never saw a cast iron caliper leak there but these are aluminum....i think everything is reboxed made in china at the moment including original vw
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

Junk.new vws are Junk..I rented a newl Tiguan.anf had to unhook the battery every time I parked it for the whole first week, second week it was Ok
.brought it to VW to find out which fuse to pull and service dept said they needed a mechanic to look at the computer and only the services offices were open...I ended up unhooking the battery EVERY TIME I parked it Absolute Junk...All new VW's are not worth it.. transmissionsl fail. Never ever would buy a newer than 2000 VW
..I won't even rent one....Bill Pellegrino
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

Not certain why you are renting a car and you having to fix it.

You can't just pull fuses to locate draws anymore. Cars have advanced to the point many have no clue how they work. It's not the manufacturer's fault for that.

If I recall, many of the old VW's were junk too.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

I was thinking that too... I rented a car once and the battery went dead overnight.

They sent out someone to replace the battery.

Battery dead again the next morning.

I exchanged the car for another one that day.
They credited me and gave me an upgraded vehicle as well for the inconvenience.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: master cylinder recall...napa,raybestos,ac delco Reply with quote

I just now changed the master in my 94 Golf, it was my fault for not flushing brake fluid, more often or ever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: