Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting issue (sometimes...)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

I thought about posting a new thread but I want to continue this because hopefully it gets solved and can help someone in the future!

I've tried everything you guys have suggested above and my 78 FI Beetle has passed everything electrical. Ignition switch tested ok, starter is good, battery is good, car has fuel.

A neighbour came over and helped me out today and upon listening, he said "it seems like it's not getting fuel.." which made me think- maybe that's my issue...

Where would you start with a fuel issue on a FI?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

First start at the tank, making sure the outlet isn't plugged.

Check that the fuel pump runs. If it runs, you should check the fuel pressure it is producing with a fuel pressure gauge.

Those are the first two things to check.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Get a can of starting fluid and spray some in the intake, if the car starts then quits 15 sec.s later it's a fuel issue. If you have an inline filter change it. Make sure your points are gapped 0.016" as the phoenalic piece that opens and closes the points wears down closing the gap.
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Get a can of starting fluid and spray some in the intake, if the car starts then quits 15 sec.s later it's a fuel issue. If you have an inline filter change it. Make sure your points are gapped 0.016" as the phoenalic piece that opens and closes the points wears down closing the gap.

I'll start with the intake to ensure it's a fuel issue: is this just removing the intake boot and spraying down the throttle body?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

waller wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I'll start with the intake to ensure it's a fuel issue: is this just removing the intake boot and spraying down the throttle body?

Yes
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Well that’s the problem! A bit of fuel in the intake and it briefly started up.

Now I have to figure out where the issue is..
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Well that’s the problem! A bit of fuel in the intake and it briefly started up.

Now I have to figure out where along the line the issue is..
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Look carefully at all the wires to the FI is all I can help on FI motors. It could be a FI Question thread which would draw in members with that background. Or buy the Orange Bently Manual (Amazon) as it will have tests for FI and all the other info for your bug.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Is there a white wire connected to the negative (1) side of the coil? Many people forget to plug this back into place.

After that, knowing the car will run on carb cleaner or some other accelerant.

If you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump motor run? You should not, but sometimes previous owners bypass stuff). If not and with the key still on, go to the air flow meter and open the flap just half way, with your finger. Can you hear the fuel pump now. If not, get a rag and socket to hold the air meter open and go around to the front to listen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
If not and with the key still on, go to the air flow meter and open the flap just half way, with your finger. Can you hear the fuel pump now. If not, get a rag and socket to hold the air meter open and go around to the front to listen.

I’ve looked up the AFM and the images I see (a black cover) is not what I have. Do I have a different version?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

And I also found this underneath the gas tank. It appears
To be an electric fuel pump? Maybe I should start here, how do I test it?

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Reread my last post. Then go test for the fuel pump to run.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo- I just don’t seem to have the same AFM that others have with the black box. Where is it in my pic?
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo- I just don’t seem to have the same AFM that others have with the black box. Where is it in my pic?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

waller wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
If not and with the key still on, go to the air flow meter and open the flap just half way, with your finger. Can you hear the fuel pump now. If not, get a rag and socket to hold the air meter open and go around to the front to listen.

I’ve looked up the AFM and the images I see (a black cover) is not what I have. Do I have a different version?

Yes you do, the black cover is on the bottom.
You need to buy and run the FI test sections of the Robert Bentley Manual for 71-79 VW Beetles
Do not replace Parts unless they are bad or this will happen to you

Water Cooled VW going Nuts
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

waller wrote:

Are there electrical wires going to this thing? I can't tell from the photo but it actually looks more like a fuel FILTER to me, which could still be the source of your problem if it's clogged up (or was put on backward)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

waller wrote:

Your air box has the panel on the bottom. No big deal. Remove the inlet boot (the one from the air filter) and run the test.

Also, here is a great reference for you. Read it! Knowledge is power. Reading is how you acquire that knowledge, retaining it takes physical practice. Do it enough and it becomes second nature!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...r_1974.pdf

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

Did you ever get any further?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
waller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Did you ever get any further?

I appreciate you checking in, Jimbo! In short, no but I think I'm close and I'm determined to figure it out. Learning a lot along the way!

Putting a tiny bit of gas down the intake starts the car briefly, so this is fuel related.

I have a few q's:

- I have an electric fuel pump (78 FI SB) and after reading a lot, many say the fuel pump starts up (or you can at least hear it) with a turn of the key in the on position. I hear nothing from mine. What's the best way to test whether the wiring or the pump itself is faulty?

- The wires for the pump are coupled and I can trace them under the dash I think, but where do they go on the other end?

Thanks!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issue (sometimes...) Reply with quote

waller wrote:

- I have an electric fuel pump (78 FI SB) and after reading a lot, many say the fuel pump starts up (or you can at least hear it) with a turn of the key in the on position. I hear nothing from mine. What's the best way to test whether the wiring or the pump itself is faulty?

- The wires for the pump are coupled and I can trace them under the dash I think, but where do they go on the other end?

Thanks!

Do you have a voltmeter? Test for 12 volts on the wire at the fuel pump. If it registers 12 volts with key in ON position then you are getting power to the pump, so it would most likely be the pump itself. If no voltage then it's the wiring or something else upstream from the pump

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: