Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tykratz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

I was an idiot when ordering tires for my MK6 Golf. the stock size of my golf was 195/65R15. even my door jam says that size but I never looked at my tire like an idiot.

long story short I get my tires delivered and I'm looking at them I'm thinking these are way too small. sure enough my golf has 18 inch wheels. ugh.

my question is can i fit these tires on onto a stock 4*130 beetle rim.

I ordered two sets of tires:

- Hankook Winter i*Pike RS W419 195/65R15 95T XL
- OHTSU FP7000 195/65R15 91H

did I make an $800 mistake or can I make lemonade out the these lemons ?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

There are some different rim widths depending on year model. What rim width do you have? 4.5” or larger?
tykratz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
There are some different rim widths depending on year model. What rim width do you have? 4.5” or larger?

not sure on the width. but it's a 73 std beetle.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Glutamodo wrote on another post
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
The factory wheel and tire size changed mid-year 1972.

Before March 1972:
Wheel size : 4Jx15 40mm offset
Tire Size : 5.60x15 (155SR15 radial)

After March 1972:
Wheel size : 4½Jx15 34mm offset
Tire size : 6.00x15 (165SR)

So your rims are probably 4.5”. There are legal tire widths permissible and shops may not mount the tires for you even though you can physically get them on. I don’t think the 195’s are possible on a small rim. 185’s maybe.

Running with oversized tires can void your insurance too.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

195’s are too wide for a 4.5” wheel.
Yes, they will fit physically the wheel but the contact patch will not be flat on the ground. Terrible handling and uneven wear.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Those will fit, but you may run into steering interference issues.

I've put a 235 on a 4.5" rim...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Sport rims are 5.5, so are Porsche 914 rims.

I have Porsche/Pedrini alloys and have 195/55-15 front and 206/60-15 rear.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Of course if the OP wants to buy some wider rims it will be a lot cheaper than not using the tires.
tykratz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Of course if the OP wants to buy some wider rims it will be a lot cheaper than not using the tires.

not really blew most of my money on these tires.

so went looked at my beetle tires that i have right now. they are 185.

i called my friend who works at a tire shop i explained what I'm trying he said he can get them on there, but as the other user said it may mess with my steering.

i was trying going to try mounting one of them on my spare to see if it can go on the rim and to check out the clearance on the steering.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
195’s are too wide for a 4.5” wheel.
Yes, they will fit physically the wheel but the contact patch will not be flat on the ground. Terrible handling and uneven wear.

It is correct what he says. You will need 5-1/2" or wider rims.
tykratz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
It is correct what he says. You will need 5-1/2" or wider rims.

Would this be the correct rim I'd need?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6622%2DMB
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

I found this reference that basically says the max width tire you should run on 5.5" wheels is 195s.
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

If your current wheels are 4.5" wide (most common stock width) then running 195 tires would be too wide. Have some others run them on the stock 4.5" wheels... I'm certain some have. That doesn't mean it is safe or recommended.

Pull one of your wheels and see if you can find the wheel size as shown in the pics below. Sometimes these markings are on the outside of the wheel, sometimes they are on the backside. Other times, I've not been able to find the markings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"4 1/2J x 15" means 4.5" width; 15" diameter. The "J" code represents the shape of the wheel lip.

"ET34" = "Einpresstiefe 34mm" which literally translates as 'insertion depth' or offset. It is the measure of the offset from the wheel centerline to the mounting surface. This is another way to represent the backspacing but is measured from a different spot so there is no straight conversion between the two.

tykratz wrote:

No, not if you are looking for wider than stock wheels. Those are stock 4.5" wide replacement wheels.

Look at these 15x5.5" wheels:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6623%2DMB

Just realize that running wider wheels+tires could result in interference with steering or rubbing at the fenders. You should be fine at the rear running 5.5" wheels. It is the front where fitment problems happen.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

Put them aside and save a few bucks so you can buy a secondhand set of 5 inch wide wheels, you can find plenty for sale on the samba and you can sell the ones you have too!
Btw wide tires on a stock bug will make the bug slower probably due to the extra friction, rolling resistance, heavier steering, tire noise, increased fuel consumption and weight most likelycompared to stock 155/165 width but hey you will have extra grip on wet roads and bends, roundabouts, emergency stops!

I would just go with a wide pair at the back and keep stock up front.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: biggest tire size i can fit on a stock 4*130 rim? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
I found this reference that basically says the max width tire you should run on 5.5" wheels is 195s.
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

If your current wheels are 4.5" wide (most common stock width) then running 195 tires would be too wide. Have some others run them on the stock 4.5" wheels... I'm certain some have. That doesn't mean it is safe or recommended.

Pull one of your wheels and see if you can find the wheel size as shown in the pics below. Sometimes these markings are on the outside of the wheel, sometimes they are on the backside. Other times, I've not been able to find the markings.

"4 1/2J x 15" means 4.5" width; 15" diameter. The "J" code represents the shape of the wheel lip.

"ET34" = "Einpresstiefe 34mm" which literally translates as 'insertion depth' or offset. It is the measure of the offset from the wheel centerline to the mounting surface. This is another way to represent the backspacing but is measured from a different spot so there is no straight conversion between the two.

tykratz wrote:

No, not if you are looking for wider than stock wheels. Those are stock 4.5" wide replacement wheels.

Look at these 15x5.5" wheels:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6623%2DMB

Just realize that running wider wheels+tires could result in interference with steering or rubbing at the fenders. You should be fine at the rear running 5.5" wheels. It is the front where fitment problems happen.

the link shows the correct 5-1/2 wide rims. The question is - what ET do they have? is it 34 or 25 or 40 mm? 25mm is the most common . 40mm was used on Porsche 914 and 34mm was used on late Superbeetles.

The company should be able to tell you. THere is no conversion table for ET and off-set.

What kind of Beetle do you actually have?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: