Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to grease to remove a squeek
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Where to grease to remove a squeek Reply with quote

*Newbie so be gentle** - 74 KG.... When ever I drive next to a cement barrier I hear a notable squeak/rubbing. It slows when I brake and if I brake while driving slowly I don't hear it at all.

I think its something in the front wheel/axle that needs to be greased but I don't know where one puts grease in a KG.

I watched a few YT videos about Bugs and they show injecting grease in a small hole until you push old grease out the other end. I don't have that equipment (lift, grease gun) so was going to take it to Mr. Lube to have them do it.

Are there other places a DIYer could grease-up to lubricate that squeak away?

THx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to grease to remove a squeek Reply with quote

welcome Very Happy
there are 4 grease nipples/zerks on the front beam, when the car is raised they are easy to see. Grease is squirted it there until it comes out the ends of the beam around the trailing arms. This is best done with the car jacked up or on a hoist. I think a lube shop is a good place to get it done.
Hopefully that fixes the squeaks.
That's it on the chassis for your model
I put a little bit of 'Dry Lube' on the door catches so they shut easily.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Where to grease to remove a squeek Reply with quote

From your description, it sounds like you have a “rotational” noise. First off, check that the lug bolts are tight.

After that, jack up the front & check if there is excessive play in the wheel bearing (rock wheel back & forth while feeling for looseness.). Probably a good time to check, clean, repack, & adjust wheel bearings.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where to grease to remove a squeek Reply with quote

check rear drum torque could be loose axle nuts
also loose trim rings/hubcaps can cause this at slow speed
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: