Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sink drain & trap info?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

One of the items on the current trip's "pre-flight check list" is clearing out the sink gooseneck trap, whatever.

If that rascal can be unscrewed from the drain, sure fooled me. I tried a trap wrench which can twist off almost anything willing to get twisted (odd phrase...). Nothing. There's what I take to be a small threaded drain plug(?) at the bottom the treads are stripped. Sure would be nice to put the brain on the bench to get it out and fit a new plug. Short of pulling the sink(!!!), I'm stalled there, too.

So... is the trap removable? If so, am I missing a secret catch, release, or...?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

are we talking about a westy?

the trap is definitely removable.

we had a cast iron skillet bounce around and break the outlet nipple off ours last summer. it was pretty trivial to remove from what i recall. dont remember what i used but im sure it was just a channel lock or something from the vans tool kit.

https://www.busdepot.com/253069183a

its some fairly universal rv part as well

better picture here - the whole inner portion of the thing is threaded, and threads onto the sink outlet

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/253069183.htm

you may find the gaskets to be shot when you pull it apart.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

Yep, '90 Westy

Bus Depot thinks the part's in stock - $12.95

That's a ~20 minute drive from here. Woohoo!

I just replaced the floor (I'd call it a 'thru-hull' in a boat - van???) and... wait for it... there's one in the kit. Argh. There's also a more sensible piece of drain hose. The PO's choice was everything but armored. Grrr...

I don't think the gasket's part of the kit, though. :(

Worse comes to worse, I'll cut one out of rubber gasket stock kept for surprises like that.

Anyway, overall, everything looks exactly as I expected to find.

Ah well... there's no problem that can't be solved with the application a suitable amount of dynamite...
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

The sink drain might be moving with it, stick something like a screwdriver into it and see if the bottom then unscrews.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

The drain grid or part visible in the sink isn't going anywhere. I'd almost feel better if it did.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
The sink drain might be moving with it, stick something like a screwdriver into it and see if the bottom then unscrews.

ah this does ring a bell. i think i stuck some needle nose into the drain to hold it from above, which spinning the plastic bit from underneath.

used a sturdier clear line for the drain as well.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

If I get to the point of seeing the drain spin, I'll lock it at two holes to avoid the worst of seeing the bars deform. Hmmm... maybe make up a tool for all four holes... gotta think about that.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

WTF do I know - not much. I simply cannot turn the trap, even with a screwdriver shaft in two holes. I resorted to my no-more-mr-niceguy channel locks after the strap wrench failed. Nothing. I took my Dremel tool to the plastic, figuring I'd split the threaded part, and... all done. FAIL

At this point, either someone in Westfalia used the wrong sealer, or the PO got creative. There are signs someone "improved" things in the drain assembly. Grrr...

FWIW when I reassemble the drain, I'm betting on four turns of yellow, gas plumbing, tape. It's working like a charm in I don't remember how many joints.

I hoped the plastic would shatter. I hope to win the Power Ball lottery, too.

So far, drain 1, me 0 Sigh...
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

The sink drain is a normal RV part I bought at a camper supply place there is a screw coming up from the bottom that holds it together if I remember correctly. Mine broke apart when I tried take it apart. I don’t remember the job being that hard. John
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

There's really no need for a trap on the drain. A trap in a plumbing system prevents sewer gas from coming back through which you don't have that situation in a westy. You can replace the whole assembly with common sink parts. An 1.25" sink drain, dishwasher outlet, rubber plug and hose is all you need. Get rid of the crappy plastic parts.

PDXWesty wrote:
You can replace it using common plumbing parts. I forget how to get that plastic drain off. It unscrews from the sink near the top I think. Hold the drain inside from turning and rotate the whole assembly. The bottom piece is just a trap assembly that often breaks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488884

The drain is a standard plumbing size, 1-1/2" or 2" I think. I used metal replacement parts that I had to slightly modify. Just got them at the hardware store. Replace the sink drain with the standard drain. Buy a tailpiece with a side outlet and plug the bottom. Connect your drain hose and you're ready to go. Should only be $10 for these parts. You could buy the new plastic assembly at GoWesty but it will probably break again.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259506&highlight=sink+drain

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
There's really no need for a trap on the drain. A trap in a plumbing system prevents sewer gas from coming back through which you don't have that situation in a westy. You can replace the whole assembly with common sink parts. An 1.25" sink drain, dishwasher outlet, rubber plug and hose is all you need. Get rid of the crappy plastic parts.

PDXWesty wrote:
You can replace it using common plumbing parts. I forget how to get that plastic drain off. It unscrews from the sink near the top I think. Hold the drain inside from turning and rotate the whole assembly. The bottom piece is just a trap assembly that often breaks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488884

The drain is a standard plumbing size, 1-1/2" or 2" I think. I used metal replacement parts that I had to slightly modify. Just got them at the hardware store. Replace the sink drain with the standard drain. Buy a tailpiece with a side outlet and plug the bottom. Connect your drain hose and you're ready to go. Should only be $10 for these parts. You could buy the new plastic assembly at GoWesty but it will probably break again.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259506&highlight=sink+drain

This is a very clever solution!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

Ah, ha! 1 1/4" sink drain - all is revealed on that question.

At this point, I've got no choice but get the remains of the plastic thing off the threads. The channel locks from hell have score and twisted the plastic. The Dremel tool hasn't really advanced the project that much - just made a mess. The bowl at the bottom popped off early in the demolition. Overall, what should have been mind-numbingly simple has turned into "now where'd I leave the dynamite." Grrr...
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

I went through this same exact thing.

While getting something from under the sink right before a trip a few weeks ago, my hand grazed the trap and it instantly crumbled.

My PO lived in Arizona, so I'm pretty sure the plastic had essentially melted onto the threads. Unfortunately I was in a Home Depot parking lot and only had Vise grips -- I used the vise grips over the course of 1.5hrs to literally crush the drain.

If I could do it again, I would have saved a few hours and just bought a Dremel + maybe a heat gun. If you replace the drain, you don't have to worry about messing up those threads.

It also helps to have someone apply torque to the drain from above (but doing that + not damaging the sink is tough!)

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

I've been using different high speed milling bits. The problem is the plastic melts. Waiting for it to cool adds to the fun. NTL, the plastic doesn't shatter, and doesn't peel away from anything. It's the plastic from hell.

I'm tempted to take a cutting wheel to the mess, but... so nice to have all that wonderful gas plumbing nearby. Yes, it's sealed (yellow gas thread tape, of course). Yes, the valve's closed. No, I'm happy about seeing hot metal "sawdust" flying around.

At least I'm parked next to my garage, and not next to a Homer. :)
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

If the plastic is not cracking, I wonder what would happen if you subjected it to extreme cold (like dry ice)

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

Heck, if I could lay my hands on it, I'd go for liquid nitrogen. Anyway, lacking either, I'll continue with my kick-butt channel-locks and someone else to lock up the actual drain, instead of doing both at the same time.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

I replaced mine long ago with this one from West Marine but you can find elsewhere cheaper.

Needed an adapter and a small section of hose from Lowes.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

Speaking as a former boat owner, almost any place sells for less than West. Once upon a time, they had pretty good prices. They bought up much of the competition, and now they're "up yours, you know there's no other store closer than us".

For non-immediate needs, there's always Defender, oh my, yes there is. :D

Definitely "No more Mr. Niceguy" - I'm off on a road trip, including a stop at the local RV dealer.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

If you install a replacement OE drain seriously consider replacing the thumb screw with either a hot dip galvanized or stainless/monel screw and using Neverseez liberally. The small nut is encapsulated and can't be easily changed. After a few weeks the included screw will seize and no longer be removeable for servicing/cleaning of the trap. This servicing was originally as an annual service item as was lubing the poptop hinges.
The alternative shown does not have an internal trap and let's fumes enter the van unless an external trap is used as was on some models (including ours).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sink drain & trap info? Reply with quote

This has been on an amazon list for a long time as a reminder to research correct sizing when I deploy the Thimwhy solution. Still marine pricey...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD8RTKW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: