Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

Hello guys
I post a similar question in the '58-'67 forum with no luck so I hope not to be bending any rule posting here too.
i am in the process of rstore my '65 bug, the original engine a 40HP 1200 will be used after a refurbishment plus a Judson suprecharger
Considering I live in a very hilly city with a lot of stop and go traffic and 90 all year around I think an external oil cooler will help
I also found in my bin part a Racimex 19 rows330 mm external oil cooler so my question is
This oil cooler could be used or is too big for a dalily driver 1200 engine
I would like to thanks in advance any inout on the matter
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

I would first check the current oil temp if it is needed. You can use a Weber I grill to check the temperatures currently. If you go for an oil cooler, make sure you fit a thermostat.
Another option to consider: A gene berg deep sump
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

Thanks Jee Wee but I missed a very little detail, I have a very titght budget for the restoration and that's why I am using all the parts already have, a Gene Berg sump is a item I can not even dream with it maybe a oil pump cover for a full flow
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

upgrade to a doghouse fan shroud/cooler and add an oil filter with full flow.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
upgrade to a doghouse fan shroud/cooler and add an oil filter with full flow.

Yes...this. The doghouse offset oil cooler is the way to go.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

MAW65 wrote:
Thanks Jee Wee but I missed a very little detail, I have a very titght budget for the restoration and that's why I am using all the parts already have, a Gene Berg sump is a item I can not even dream with it maybe a oil pump cover for a full flow

well, from my experience there isn't a simple way to do it.

If you want an external cooler then you will have to get the oil to it somehow.. so you need a new cover / pump set up and a return line somewhere which means tapping the case, unless you can find another option... such as a hollow stud somewhere..

or... you get a doghouse shroud, adapter and bits and pieces... which adds up but not crazy expensive... this I think would be your best and cheapest option...

or you do both...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

With a Judson it's always head temperatures that get you into trouble, melt down on #3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

Sell the Judson and have more money to build a better engine...

Sorry, probably not what you’re looking for, but it’s an option I’d look at. The Judson is a nice conversation piece or appropriate if you want to stick to a true Vintage Speed setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

^^ Yes
Sell the Judson and put in 83mm pistons, a merged exhaust, and a mild cam. It might not look and sound as cool as a Judson, but you will be money and power ahead. The Judson makes a big difference on a 36hp, but the 40hp was already halfway to the power you can from a Judson when it left the factory.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
With a Judson it's always head temperatures that get you into trouble, melt down on #3.

Is this not also a result of (or made worse by) many people changing the dizzy to an 010 or similar, without the built in retard on #3...

I reckon doghouse is your easiest and cheapest way to go...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Is this not also a result of (or made worse by) many people changing the dizzy to an 010 or similar, without the built in retard on #3...

I reckon doghouse is your easiest and cheapest way to go...

Not sure if it's the stock carbs inability to meter the fuel accurately enough at the top end of the range. Head man refused to recommend anything but the stock carb when the 30 pict was better suited. That was what one of the workers told me.
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reponses
I am open to hear any sugestion or idea I am just litsening and learning by know
Yes selling the Judson could bring enough money to build a more powewrful a relaible engine but not so fancy for sure
I have been in the VW scene for very long now and I am definitley incline more toward the classic look rather than performance since I do no plan racing or use my cars to the edge
Said that I guess I will be using the Judson and an after mafket adaptor to eliminate the vertical oil coller or even tap the original vw doghouse oil cooler adaptor pn # 113,117.303 I have laying around to run the hoses of the remote oil cooler.
Finally I also have beside the original 40HP fan housing some 36HP I acn also use are there ani advantage uisng one or another more that the look, what do you think and thanks one more time
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: External oil cooler on a 1200 Judson supercharged engine Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I don't think the stock 40hp engine has a retard on #3 but you could be right about the different advance curve / total advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: