Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is This Really Happening In Europe?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
From Ireland. 🙄

With private cars to blame for a large portion of Ireland's emissions, the OECD suggests measures including increasing the cost of petrol and diesel cars and using the planning system to cut reliance on private cars, to help Ireland meet energy goals.

that's great for cities/suburbs but what about the rural areas with little or no public transport? time to get the pony and trap out perhaps!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
baz76 wrote:
From Ireland. 🙄

With private cars to blame for a large portion of Ireland's emissions, the OECD suggests measures including increasing the cost of petrol and diesel cars and using the planning system to cut reliance on private cars, to help Ireland meet energy goals.

that's great for cities/suburbs but what about the rural areas with little or no public transport? time to get the pony and trap out perhaps!

Our transport minister has that covered already, we can share cars among 10 families if we live in the countryside. The guys a genius.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

They can pry my 10,000 lb Gross vehicle weight 6 liter diesel commuter truck from my cold garage full of dead animals
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

OECD is a very legit source of information. They respond and advise to governmental requests ( they wrote a scathing analysis of car scrapping schemes aka " Cash for clunkers"). OECD advice is often ignored due to expediency. I do see the inevitability of various restrictions and they will phase in gradually as older generations ( the ones that are mostly interested in owning fore-mentioned cars) are departed from their possessions. Recent events show how much more work can happen without individual transportation. This will provide more evidence to move plans forward in urban centers.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I do see the inevitability of various restrictions and they will phase in gradually as older generations ( the ones that are mostly interested in owning fore-mentioned cars) are departed from their possessions.

I think some are intending to take their possessions with them... Laughing

nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Owners will need to pay up to £650 just to drive their classic car once a week in London.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/london-sticks-classic-car-owners/
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

nicholastanguma wrote:
Owners will need to pay up to £650 just to drive their classic car once a week in London.

Go back and re-read, then delete.

You’ve been click-baited.
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
nicholastanguma wrote:

Go back and re-read, then delete.

You’ve been click-baited.

Not seeing it. What did I miss? Eh?
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

It does seem, however, that if one's vintage vehicle is sufficiently old it will be exempt.

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/blog/market-t...ssion-zone
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

wouldn't want to drive anything except an armoured car on the streets of london.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Officers look for the obvious, modified exhaust, tail lights and such. Heck, no one know or cares about dropped spindles or shortened beams.

Back when I worked for PD I would bring my various modified vehicles and ask other officers to find the 'illegal' stuff on the cars. Only the true auto enthusiasts could even make a guess as most were not 'car guys'. Back in my teens I had a resto custom vert that was all stock with a dual carbed 1600. I drove that thing in primer for years hauling ass all over then I painted it. 7 tickets in 4 months, lost my license and didnt even know it due to points. On the 7th ticket the motor cop was into dune buggys and threatened to tow my car due to smog violations. That was the only time a cop knew what was up with old VWs.

Seems like EPA is going after the rest of the country like CARB does in CA.

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

Anything with a VIN cannot be a racecar?????

I kinda understand them going after people selling computer bypass systems on smog equipped vehicles but like in CA any vehicle older than 1975 is exempt from smog check/inspection should be the law to follow. The main reasoning of the change was the fact only a small portion of 'old' vehicles are on the road and would not have much impact as they were mostly pleasure vehicles.

As mentioned before all us old farts will still get to drive a few more years until gas is the price of the rest of the world or runs out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
As mentioned before all us old farts will still get to drive a few more years until gas is the price of the rest of the world or runs out.

Don't worry, you'll be dead before either of those things happen.
(This is not a threat)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Don't worry, you'll be dead before either of those things happen.
(This is not a threat)

Ive used up 8 lives already so it might be sooner than you think Cool

After growing up as a teenager in CA with the crazy inspections and smog tests really sucked if you didnt have the extra 'smog' engine to throw in or the $200 for fake papers. The older I got the more regulation there was and made me realize Id never own a 'modern' car due to the inability to legally tune. So until around 93 or so I only owned pre 66 cars which were exempt as no vehicles had any smog equipment before then for CA. Around that time they started allowing 73 or earlier cars to be exempt and continued a rolling date for a few years til 75 then locked it down. The problem with CA smog is if you fail multiple times and it goes into the system and is considered a 'gross polluter' it can never be registered again on CA roads. I saw many perfect original cars crushed or junked due to these laws.

Non car people just roll over to these regs as its just a hassle, only us car nuts keep fighting to keep our junk on the roads.

One thing that should happen here is a safety inspection. Brake lights, turn signals, brakes, wipers, structural integrity etc. This will save more lives than pollution control on these old rigs
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem with CA smog is if you fail multiple times and it goes into the system and is considered a 'gross polluter' it can never be registered again on CA roads.

No.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
No.

Its been decades since Ive had this happen, have the laws changed?

Had a square body truck with a BBC that would not pass and got flagged to the official state referee. Engine was tuned and not smoking but basically told me failing visual and test was the death blow and entered GP . As a kid I didnt have the cash to throw in a rebuilt engine and was forced to park the truck. and use the parts on my K5 instead. As mentioned I lucked out and that is when they started the rolling exemption year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: