Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

McMaster Carr sells stainless steel O-rings in every size.

Use them often to seal plastic die tooling.
They can take 20,000psi of pressure.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

A video on you tube . timely !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGaNgcSSn-k
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Tom, I looked at McMaster a while back, and those stainless o-rings did not come in large enough sizes… at least where I was looking. Maybe they are in a different category.

Wreck, aren’t both of those methods for use with copper gaskets? Crushing them into a mating groove? I have seen the wire trick used on Cummins engines before.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

no just a flat 1x5.5mm copper gasket . I cut them from a sheet of Copper . just used a jig saw to rough cut , then a sanding drum on a drill for the ID and a linishing belt on the OD .

What is very important for a good seal is that the cylinders are 100% even . A tip given by a few good engine builder is to use what ever sealant you use on the cylinder bases . torque up the heads , then after the sealant is cured , carefully remove the heads and make sure the tops of the 2 cylinders are flat with a straight edge . If it means shimming a cylinder .002" then thats what you do and try the whole process again till the straight edge is flat .
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Wreck seems like your process worked because i don't see any evidence of leaks on the cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills914-4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Here's some pic's of a modification I did a few years ago , the motor is a 2.5L
80 x 100 the heads are 1700 which have a 100mm bore for the 90mm cyl.
the sealing ring is 304 ss .078W x .100H flat on
the head side & radius on the cylinder side , it will have .040 deck
I'm hoping to push 20+ lbs. of boost , Bill D.

I have some pic's on shoptalk

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150581&sid=406bead00c583a08e32914f3c76d1da4

1700 type 4 heads 42x36

100mm nickies

100mm pistons & protrusion

Weekend Therapy
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

That is EXACTLY what I had in mind!

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

One of the problems I am having is finding a 103mm piston with the top compression ring far enough down from the crown to make this work. There are loads of 103mm pistons out there from aftermarket VW to Chrysler HEMI engines. Finding something where the crown can extend out of the cylinder by 6mm or so while still keeping the compression ring in the cylinder is a sticking point.

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Wreck and all you guys, reading all the experimentation that has been done since the 1990 when most of the VW guys did not have clue about T-4 engines.

The few that did, well it was mostly negative information that was passed around.

I myself had no clue till I saw what my 914 could do and was lucky to get a New T-4 training engine.

Extremely happy to see you guys still going strong with engine improvements.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Never settle, Joe Cool

Always something to test and learn from.

Thank you for being one of the early pioneers in the states, developing affordable diy upright conversions. Your work paved the way for many who may otherwise have dismissed the T4 conversation.

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Thanks I really appreciate that!!

What you said "always something to learn" especially stands out when you think how old the T-1 especially has been around and for generations have tried to find what we think is how to make it better.

Still selling the manual, so must be a lot of barn finds, ha

Thanks again
Joe.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

My first conversion was done in the late eighties , the main person I got parts from was of Czech origin and used to import second stuff from Europe . He made up the kit for me .
A lot of development was done during the Super Vee days . Then Kafer Cup in Europe .
Pistons are an issue , getting what you want , I would like a 4032 forging in the 103.5 (4.065”) range with similar pin height to what AA supply with their kits , with a 22mm pin . Also with the compression ring above the pin .
Not going to happen with an off the shelf item .
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Applebomb, Wreck,
you guys made me think.
How do I advertise my manual-- HVW'S and VW Trends had pagers of Clubs world wide, No internet, just phone nubers and addresses. I sent out over 100 letters with my two page introduction. Also to Magazines world wide. Reviews were done in many countries.

That I hows I met Joe of DTM fame, Mike Sharp of Sharpbuilt, BAS of German.

Funny, I just came 30 years full circle. My first ad in VW Trends. 1993 No Website or phone number, just a PO Box. Check out the ad below mine for a complete bug restoration. I guess that was expensive then when Chris Vallone, sells his from 40k to 80k

I just released my first new advertisement and it is out 29 years later. I think, this month. They said the April issue.

With Just a email address. ha!

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Different Way of Machining Big Bore T4 Heads Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Pistons are an issue , getting what you want , I would like a 4032 forging in the 103.5 (4.065”) range with similar pin height to what AA supply with their kits , with a 22mm pin . Also with the compression ring above the pin .
Not going to happen with an off the shelf item .

Yeah, it’s definitely a sticking point. JE, Wiseco, and Ross are happy to supply flat top 6.1 Chrysler HEMI pistons without the valve pockets machined into the crown, but none of them want to move the piston rings down a few mm. But, if you shell out the big bucks, then they will build you a custom set of pistons… which almost double the price for something as simple as moving the rings down a bit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: