Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

adam beefcake bruno wrote:

-Fabbed conversion tin kit for Porsche 356 engine into VW engine compartment.
-Fabbed muffler with four early bus tips just for fun!

Any more info on the tinware and exhaust mods? I live the tips you used but want to run a tow bar so will use them wider apart. Did you modify a 356 exhaust or build something from scratch?

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

bally wrote:
adam beefcake bruno wrote:
-Fabbed conversion tin kit for Porsche 356 engine into VW engine compartment.
-Fabbed muffler with four early bus tips just for fun!
Any more info on the tinware and exhaust mods? I live the tips you used but want to run a tow bar so will use them wider apart. Did you modify a 356 exhaust or build something from scratch?

Cheers. Dave
The muffler is a modified 36hp unit. The main can of the muffler is the same shape as stock, so it would not interfere with a tow hitch.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Thanks Lind 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind,

came across the Südfunk bus when I saw your line-up in an other thread.
That bus is awesome! It’s from my hometown and I started googling around a bit:

https://www.radiogeschichte.de/92-startseite/1018-suedfunk-stuttgart-und-waiblingen.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sadly the remains of the D-sign on the lower left on the eingine lid got lost at some point... But that doesn’t make it less desirable Wink

Although not associated with the radiomaker you might want to replace your D-sign with this one?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/203077980728?hash=item2f48641238:g:gNwAAOSwBNRfN~dE
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:
Lind,

came across the Südfunk bus when I saw your line-up in an other thread.
That bus is awesome! It’s from my hometown and I started googling around a bit:

https://www.radiogeschichte.de/92-startseite/1018-suedfunk-stuttgart-und-waiblingen.html

Sadly the remains of the D-sign on the lower left on the eingine lid got lost at some point... But that doesn’t make it less desirable Wink

Although not associated with the radiomaker you might want to replace your D-sign with this one?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/203077980728?hash=item2f48641238:g:gNwAAOSwBNRfN~dE

That is awesome, thanks.

I love the advertising piece. I need to get some Sudfunk radios. The last really cool one I saw on ebay was not cheap.

The D sticker was gone by the time I got it. I have since installed a metal USA plate with matching patina since it lives here now. I will get one of those stickers from the radio station for the bus.

Sudfunk is featured in the latest issue of HotVWs. (August 2021)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Super nice interview with Lind and his wonderful bus Cool

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Last year, I had my cabinetmaker replicate the first production westfalia kit for my bus. I was really pleased with how it came out. We had two pictures to work with, although I have since found a third photo that is way more detailed. We did a couple things differently on purpose, and a couple things were different because we didn't have the details to tell. The bed boards are wood in my version, where they are steel with springs in the original. The drawers below the bed are open top with a handles in my version, where the originals had lids with latches. The walls are dark wood in the original, while I opted for a lighter wood. I couldn't find a closely matching plaid, so I just picked one that I liked. I found some upholstery material that was a very close match. I also wasn't going to bolt a roof rack through the roof like original. Overall, I feel it is a really close approximation. My cabinetmaker, John Bowers, did an incredible job building the kit. He is on instagram @jbcampers

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Very nice Lind! Do you have any more details on your rear indicator mod please?

Cheers. Dave
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Very nice Lind! Do you have any more details on your rear indicator mod please?

Cheers. Dave

I generally like stock stuff, but I feel that semaphores are unsafe. So I decided to install blinky turn signals, but with no rear bumper there were not many options for placement on the back of the bus. I bored a hole in the backside of the reflectors, and put an LED bulb back there. It took me a while to find a bulb that would fit, as there is not much room behind the reflector. I used a maglite LED conversion bulb. I used a 6v one, but I would recommend using a 4.5V one, because the 6v one doesn't always work at idle. I used an instrument light bulb holder, and held it all together with with a section of an oil pressure relief spring. Those are the ingredients, it takes some creativity to make it work, and of course standard turn signal wiring. I had to drill a couple 13mm holes in the body also. For the front signals, I just used orange bulbs in the parking light sockets of the headlight buckets.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Fab. Thanks Lind. I’m doing the same at the front and have the same issue at the rear so will look to follow your lead using the reflectors. I might experiment with motor bike LEDs

Many thanks. Dave
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Fab. Thanks Lind. I’m doing the same at the front and have the same issue at the rear so will look to follow your lead using the reflectors. I might experiment with motor bike LEDs

Many thanks. Dave

Glad to help.

The problem that I found with most LEDs is that they are intended to fit into normal bulb sized spaces. There just isn't much depth to work with in the reflector housing.

I should have taken more pics of making them. this is the only one that I got, which was right before I installed them.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Thanks. That’s very helpful 😎
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Interior looks great Lind, and I really like the reflector idea. To be honest, there’s not a thing not to really like here Cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Interior looks great Lind, and I really like the reflector idea. To be honest, there’s not a thing not to really like here Cool

Thanks Ben. I feel very fortunate to have the bus and be able to drive and enjoy it.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

It looks so good! There is nothing like looking at risque westy photos in your barndoor westy interior.

Lind wrote:
although I have since found a third photo that is way more detailed.

when do we get to see the third photo?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
It looks so good! There is nothing like looking at risque westy photos in your barndoor westy interior.

Lind wrote:
although I have since found a third photo that is way more detailed.

when do we get to see the third photo?

In good time. I have to come up with the recreation photo first.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: