Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewire 3 wire turn signal switch 1961
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Rewire 3 wire turn signal switch 1961 Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I have a 1961, snowflake taillight vw Beetle that at some point in his life, received a 3 wire turning signal switch instead of the correct 6 wire one.

The car has always had faint light in the rear, so I tried fiddling around with it (cleaning connections etc) to see if it would get better but now I screwed up I think Very Happy
The issue I now have is. the licence plate light comes on when I brake... and I cant seem to get it to work properly.

My turning signals work
Brake lights work + licence plate light
taillights work

My question is, what is the correct way of getting everything working in the rear... because using the standard wiring diagram doesn't get me very far with the 3 wire turning signal switch?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Yes a 3 wire turn switch can be used ...but it will need a device to cancel the stop while the turn per side is activated.

6v or 12v ?

12= Easy peasy...

Connect a trailer light converter for the rear circuits.

6 or 12

Relays..

Search snowflake conversion. Links within the following topic

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541480&highlight=snowflake
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Thank you!

Its still on 6v 👀
I’ll have a look to see if I can figure this out.

Buying a 6 wire turning signal switch cod be my last option.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Just because it has a three wire signal switch doesn't necessarily mean the original wiring isn't all still there, allowing you to simply reinstall a six wire switch.

For the license light issue, I would look at the wires at the T3 and T1 connectors located at the left side of the engine bay. It's possible the wires aren't all connected to the correct spots.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

The wiring is still there,

But from what I read on similar topics the trailer converter is not gonna work on my 6v setup.

And I cant seem to figure out what type of relays to use as an alternative.
(Mostly because of my limited understanding of electronics 😂

The “easy” thing would be to get a 6 wire switch, since I could then use the 1961 wiring diagram as a guide.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

If you decide to go the multiple relay route, you'll want to purchase four six volt five pin relays (example HERE), and follow the diagram shown in VOLKSWAGNUT's post HERE.
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Thank you sir!

I will have a look at it!
From that diagram ot definitely seems doable, even for a n00b like me 😂

Thanks again.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Connect a trailer light converter for the rear

This is what I had to do in my ‘56.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

is you 56 still on 6V?

I read in similar posts the trailer converter wouldnt work on 6V, only on 12V
If yours works on 6V could you share a link on where to buy one?

Thanks 👍.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Sorry, it’s 12v.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

Ah I was afraid of that Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rewire 3 wire turning signal swicth 1961 Reply with quote

We have this issue frequently with beach buggy tail lights. Here is a good thread that shows a couple of simple ways to use relays to accomplish the needed tail light brake/turn signal conversion.
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rewire 3 wire turn signal switch 1961 Reply with quote

Thank you!

I think I will have a go at the relay x4 option.
Doesn’t break the bank,

buying a new turning signal switch 6 wire would 😂
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: