Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater boxes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
J tubes are the same tinware different btwn 36 and 40 horse.

Actually that is not true. The stale air 40hp J tubes are 2" longer than the 36, as the 40hp muffler is different , and its inlets sit farther back toward the rear bumper. I had a few sets of the 40hp J tubes made a few years ago, but they are all gone now (Harris got at least one set, in fact if memory he was the one who bugged me about getting them made... Wink ).

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Heater Boxes Reply with quote

johnshenry;
Quote:
(Harris got at least one set, in fact if memory he was the one who bugged me about getting them made... ).

Good memory John. I did bug you about the 40's, but actually found my set here that were almost NOS. Had I known you had a set available, I would have bought them. You can't do better than Zarwerks

lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Boxes Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
johnshenry;
Quote:
(Harris got at least one set, in fact if memory he was the one who bugged me about getting them made... ).

Good memory John. I did bug you about the 40's, but actually found my set here that were almost NOS. Had I known you had a set available, I would have bought them. You can't do better than Zarwerks

lou

Oh yeah, I remember now. A few others had asked about them, but since I think I only had about 20 made, they were pretty pricey. I think I just sold the last sets last year.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
djkeev wrote:
ZAR Werks http://www.zarwerks.com/ used to have a good pictorial about old heater boxes, the differences and how to tell but the link is down.

http://www.zarwerks.com/heater_boxes.htm

Did anyone have the foresight to copy this info onto their hard drive and would like to share?
Hopefully the link will come back, it was very informative.

Dave

Not sure what happened to that page, I will get it back up tonight. The '58-'61 style boxes will fit the 36hp lower tin. There are numerous pictures of them in manuals that show this. I have run them on a couple 36hp engines myself. Getting the J tube positioned right in the box half can be tricky however.

Greasemonkey, I will send you a PM later and we'll work something out....

I'm going from memory here but I remember trying this before and the later boxes fit fine (with some light bending) but you could not hook up the early heater flap to the later boxes. And vice-versa. The arms didn't line up with the heater flap connection.

Corrections welcome.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
djkeev wrote:
ZAR Werks http://www.zarwerks.com/ used to have a good pictorial about old heater boxes, the differences and how to tell but the link is down.

http://www.zarwerks.com/heater_boxes.htm

Did anyone have the foresight to copy this info onto their hard drive and would like to share?
Hopefully the link will come back, it was very informative.

Dave

Not sure what happened to that page, I will get it back up tonight. The '58-'61 style boxes will fit the 36hp lower tin. There are numerous pictures of them in manuals that show this. I have run them on a couple 36hp engines myself. Getting the J tube positioned right in the box half can be tricky however.

Greasemonkey, I will send you a PM later and we'll work something out....

I'm going from memory here but I remember trying this before and the later boxes fit fine (with some light bending) but you could not hook up the early heater flap to the later boxes. And vice-versa. The arms didn't line up with the heater flap connection.

Corrections welcome.

That is not the case Ev, the "squarish" '51 to '57 style are completely interchangeable with the later '58-'61 ones being discussed here. Their mating to the lower tin "shoebox" is identical, including connection to the square flaps. The length of the control rods between the two box styles is different, but since the the rods are usually attached to the boxes, it is a direct swap (in fact you can't even take the rods out of the later boxes without splitting the box halves).

VW, through the supplier LMB, even supplied the later boxes are replacements for the earlier ones for many years.

I have been restoring heater boxes, and having J pipes made for nearly 10 years now, and know this hardware very well. I do want to find out what issues greasemonkey was having however as I never like anyone to be unhappy with anything that I sell them, and will always try to make it right.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries,you have nothing to "work out" with me. My heater boxes were actually OK,I just tried to use the ones you sold with the J-tubes,and they did not line up to the lower outlets and the rod was not a direct fit.
No big deal,I simply sand blasted my OG ones,and used your J-tubes and I am very stoked.
The MAIN thing was the J-tubes and the ones you sold me are awesome,and saved me $100's on buying new or used boxes/pipes.
I am a happy customer,and am very happy to havce been able to get those and my bug runs great,thanks for your concern,but there is no need.
Aloha,and wishing you and everybody a great 2011! Cool
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between the length of the heater flap rod between the >57 and the >61 - What was longest and by how much?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Triumph wrote:
What is the difference between the length of the heater flap rod between the >57 and the >61 - What was longest and by how much?

I'll measure and post pics tonight. They are different at the heater box end as well. The early is just an "L" end with a small hole drilled for a cotter pin, the later one is crimped and "eared" and fits into a keyholed slot in the lever in the heater box. It must be rotated 90 degrees to be removed, and this is why you have to separate the halves to remove it.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Last Triumph wrote:

I'll measure and post pics tonight. They are different at the heater box end as well. The early is just an "L" end with a small hole drilled for a cotter pin, the later one is crimped and "eared" and fits into a keyholed slot in the lever in the heater box. It must be rotated 90 degrees to be removed, and this is why you have to separate the halves to remove it.

Hmmm..... have a look at these that I sold. They bolted straight up no problem and seemed to fit perfectly before I saved the og ones...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored the heater box page, it is at http://zarwerks.com/heater_boxes.htm.

I think I deleted it a while back because I am no longer restoring heater boxes as a service as it describes. I will edit it one day, make it more a generic discussion of the types (and sub types). But for now it is as it was, with a section on the different types.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the heater box control rods. I am 99% sure the two shorter ones are for the '57-'61 and the long one is for the '61-'62 stale air 40hp. Remember the heads are offset by half a piston width, so the rods (R&L) are two different sizes.

I do not have a pair for the earlier boxes to photo graph but I know that they are both shorter than these later ones.

In the pics, the center to center lengths are 238, 255 and 268mm. Overall lengths, add the diameter of the rid, which is around 4mm I think.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Heater Boxes Reply with quote

John,

Do you know if the 40 hp control rods are the same length or are they different lengths for (R&L)?

Thanks

johnshenry wrote:
Here's the heater box control rods. I am 99% sure the two shorter ones are for the '57-'61 and the long one is for the '61-'62 stale air 40hp. Remember the heads are offset by half a piston width, so the rods (R&L) are two different sizes.

I do not have a pair for the earlier boxes to photo graph but I know that they are both shorter than these later ones.

In the pics, the center to center lengths are 238, 255 and 268mm. Overall lengths, add the diameter of the rid, which is around 4mm I think.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine them not being different lengths. The offset issue is the same in the 40hp engine, the heater box position R&L is offset, and the flaps in the heater boxes are not. I no longer have any 40hp stuff so I can't confirm though. Anyone??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Heater Boxes Reply with quote

Thanks,

That would stand to reason. The old light bulb just came on after looking at your post. My drivers side flap will not completely close down and the valve is always a little open in the box as a smalll amount of heat always comes through. Never had that problem before and still using the old heater cables. I disconnected that side last summer. The passenger side is fine.

10 to1 I got them reversed.
simak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
inside of these heater boxes are two springs. One pulls back outer lever connected via string to heater knob in cabin and the other one closes the flap in outtake. I managed to damage both of them (resp. all 4), is there any chance to get spares? Local workshop capable of doing them charges pretty hefty price. Many thanks.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: heater boxes Reply with quote

What is the length of j pipes for the 36hp..boxes? Any recommendations on where to purchase them?
Tomas in LA

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: