Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 bug radio
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Plucenik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

I could really use some help identifying this radio for my 15 year 1967 bug project. I was certain that I had the correct Sapphire radio for this car but I can't find it. All i'm able to locate is this Blaupunkt. The label I had on it said 6V or 12V. Judging by my pictures can anyone tell me if this radio is period correct for the 67. Also not sure about the faceplate. Plan is to update the original with all new electronics and USB. Thanks, Mark
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

It is not correct for a 1967 beetle. Your photo is for a pre "ATR"(1962, earlier) Blaupunkt Bremen and faceplate, which could be had for late 50's, very early 60's beetles as an alternative to Motorola or Sapphire. The Blaupunkt offerings for '67 were very different.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

Forgot to mention in my previous post, the face-plate also appears to be for a Mercedes or similar other non VW type of installation. You could probably install that unit if you got another face plate and have it do what you had planned for it. It just wouldn't be 100% correct for a '67, if that matters to you.

I've attached a picture of the Blaupunkt "Super Export" AM only, 6v /12v switchable that was dealer installed (late '66) in my early 67 type1. It was one of a number of Blaupunkts that were available in 1967 model year, such as the Stuttgart, Hamburg, Vienna, and Frankfurt. Any "W", "X", or "Z" series Blaupunkts are appropriate for the expanse of the crazy 1967 model year. (Yes, the "white" knobs were there originally, not added later, and yes... the face plate doesn't have the dash trim "ears", but this is what was originally installed!) It still works perfectly to this day! Very Happy

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Plucenik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

thanks for the info, I still can't locate the radio for the 67. anyone out there have any interest in a swap. My 50's to 60 radio for the later "67" style? My radio looks good but I have not tested it. I just need one that looks good, plan is to update it anyway. Would like the sapphire V. I think that's correct for the 67,

Last edited by Mark Plucenik on Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

Pm sent
Mark Plucenik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug radio Reply with quote

I thought I would post this one more time about a trade. Thanks for any interest. Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: