Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

I知 at United Campground north of Durango Colorado waiting for a replacement fuel pump to come in to AutoZone. My plan is to replace the fuel pump myself. I watched a video on YouTube last night and it shows removing front seats emergency brake handle assembly and automatic gear selector trim bits. I read a bit of another text-based tutorial that suggests just cutting the carpet with a razor knife and accessing the fuel pump cover plate and fuel pump assembly through the carpet cut. I believe the driver seat was also removed and that tutorial. Looking for any tips or suggestions and this procedure and any acceptable workarounds for the special tools for the fuel line clamps and the fuel pump lock ring removal tool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

Maybe this will help.

Here is where the carpet is perforated. Yellow arrows pointing to where I cut (you can just pull it apart carefully). Blue is perforation on the other side, but I've left mine in tact. You can also pull out the seats. I chose the yellow side, in combination of pulling out the passenger seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You need to remove the e-brake coverings.

You can see how much access you get with the yellow side cut only. you can see that the cover is far enough from the shifter housing to not be an issue. I don't remember if the auto housing is significantly bigger.

There are 3 philips screws that hold the cover down. circled where they would be. The cover sets a little under the e-brake some.

Sorry, no pictures at this point. The top of the fuel pump will have one connector and and two fuel fittings. If I remember right, the fuel lines are crimped on. You'll need a couple small hose clamps. The pump is threaded on by its outside ring. Once that is removed, the top should spring up. You will then need to reach down and grab the bottom part of the fuel pump to twist it off a bracket that is fused to the base of the fuel tank. It's possible you will need to unbolt the e-brake handle (13mm I believe) to get the fuel pump out.

Good luck
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Maybe this will help.

Here is where the carpet is perforated. Yellow arrows pointing to where I cut (you can just pull it apart carefully). Blue is perforation on the other side, but I've left mine in tact. You can also pull out the seats. I chose the yellow side, in combination of pulling out the passenger seat.

You need to remove the e-brake coverings.

You can see how much access you get with the yellow side cut only. you can see that the cover is far enough from the shifter housing to not be an issue. I don't remember if the auto housing is significantly bigger.

There are 3 philips screws that hold the cover down. circled where they would be. The cover sets a little under the e-brake some.

Sorry, no pictures at this point. The top of the fuel pump will have one connector and and two fuel fittings. If I remember right, the fuel lines are crimped on. You'll need a couple small hose clamps. The pump is threaded on by its outside ring. Once that is removed, the top should spring up. You will then need to reach down and grab the bottom part of the fuel pump to twist it off a bracket that is fused to the base of the fuel tank. It's possible you will need to unbolt the e-brake handle (13mm I believe) to get the fuel pump out.

Good luck

Thanks for that I believe I知 going to try this method in the morning. Did i have to remove the passenger seat or is that optional? You mentioned something about perforations is the carpet pre-perforated there and I知 just completing the perforation with a razor knife or a pocket knife or similar? Can I use a standard universal screw drive type hose clamp instead of the Oetiker 11.9 mm I致e seen mentioned?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

If you cut both sides, you do not have to remove the passenger seat. The right side will be harder to hide however. I opted to cut only the left side, then remove the passenger seat. 2 bolts, one nut.

I think you will be fine with the right size hose clamp for the fuel line.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
If you cut both sides, you do not have to remove the passenger seat. The right side will be harder to hide however. I opted to cut only the left side, then remove the passenger seat. 2 bolts, one nut.

I think you will be fine with the right size hose clamp for the fuel line.

Good luck.

Thanks for the guide I got down to the top of the fuel tank in the pump now I知 waiting for a tool to come in to release the lock ring. Any chance you have a picture of the complete fuel pump assembly that you took out or put in? I知 not sure what I got from the local AutoZone is correct
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

I have this picture from a van that I converted to diesel. It's just under the cover plate. You can loosen the ring on top also, by tapping on the ribs of the ring in a counter clockwise direction. I've used a flathead screwdriver on the ribs, gently tapping the back with a hammer. better would be some sort of wood dowel on the ribs.

This shows where the bracket is, fused to the bottom of the tank. In this picture, they are mutilated, because i'm trying to remove it. You will need to twist the base of the pump off of this ring and twist the new one onto this ring.

bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the fuel pump: Remove seats, e-brake, carpet? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
I have this picture from a van that I converted to diesel. It's just under the cover plate. You can loosen the ring on top also, by tapping on the ribs of the ring in a counter clockwise direction. I've used a flathead screwdriver on the ribs, gently tapping the back with a hammer. better would be some sort of wood dowel on the ribs.

This shows where the bracket is, fused to the bottom of the tank. In this picture, they are mutilated, because i'm trying to remove it. You will need to twist the base of the pump off of this ring and twist the new one onto this ring.

Thanks for your tutorial on Shortcuts and pictures I did get it done yesterday I started it in a campground and finished in the Home Depot parking lot under a nice shade tree it didn稚 necessarily go smoothly but it did eventually get it done and all is good now so again thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: