Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Martian-mart wrote:
Looking at my last photo. Once the t-storms pass I’ll go out and crawl under and see if the shift rod is actually touching the tire and being affected. It’s looks like it’s touching on the photo

It is OK for it to touch as long as it does not affect the shifting.

You can also deflate the spare some to get a better fit. I carry a 12V tire pump for this reason.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Thanks. I was under there today and the shifter rod is totally clear.
The only thing that is touching is one of my radiator hoses. It’s the thickest one.
I was hoping it would be ok, but it seems to be an issue as today I drove it around and in about 15 min, my coolant light started flashing. The temp gauge was only at 1/2 way. I stopped and ran and errand and it was fine. Then it came on again. This time I looked at the overflow tank and it was about 1” above the full line. I took out the spare and waited a few minutes, then starred it up. No light. So I drove it home. Could it be that the little bit the tire is pushing the hose up into the undercarriage os enough to make it overheat?
The spare was pretty hot when I took it out. Ugh. Now I need to lower it somehow. I tried the u bolts and it seemed more like a pain due to the double hinge. The original set up was easy to close.

Anyone know if the RMW Oversized Spare Tire Carrier would fit a 205/60r16. It looks like I need 1/2” or so.

My clamshell is the shorter version, 1.5” - I heard there’s a deeper one our there on later models.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Martian-mart wrote:

I'd be more frightened by the giant spider that is living up in your shifter box.. legs reaching down and holding on the edge there.. If I recall, that box is like 4 or 5 inches across, those legs look like they'd span a good 8 inches all screeched out. Wonder what the body looks like.. Maybe it catches the mice that can get in through the shifter!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

But, I digress,

The reason wider tires on wider rims are problematic is not anything that the pan, or optional bars can fix. It comes down to the frame member at the rear of the spare compartment. That location dimensions [or more accurately the hole in it] limit how much of the tire you can fit back there. Finding ways to drop the front to allow clearance of the hoses toward the radiator is less complicated. But, of course, with the Manual transmission, you have the shifter box, and that limits the travel forward the rim can make. Thus, it is difficult to shove enough of the tire back in the space. Airing down is my present method. And, not a good one, if I weren't along, it would be a nightmare for the person trying to recover from flatting a tire.

I am pursuing a less wide rim for a spare, with smaller than 215/60/16's. Something even as strange as carrying a 15" X 6 1/2" Merc rim with a 195mm wide tire, even if the rim is mismatched. They are, indeed "out there" ..
Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Thanks. I asked earlier in the year if anyone tried the CLK spare rim as an option. I didn’t hear any reply so didn’t want to try and waste time or money - but it seems I still am…
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Martian-mart wrote:
Anyone know if the RMW Oversized Spare Tire Carrier would fit a 205/60r16. It looks like I need 1/2” or so.

My dad has a 16" BFG with alloy wheel stuffed under there on his '89 M/T van using RMW's carrier. However, he had to make a couple of additional bends in the carrier, and added a short stack of washers to the factory bolt, to make it work.

Edit: Photos of the above:

Earlier this year, I put a 15" alloy under my '90 A/T with an LT Cooper tire using RMW's carrier + a longer bolt with spacer (1/2" IIRC). It touches one hose towards the rear, and I have that section wrapped in silicone tape.

Neither van has cooling issues.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

I have that set up w a CLK RIM and General Grabber tire. Had to deflate tire to facilitate shift linkage. Works fine.
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

* * * * I have to amend my earlier post !!
truepaul wrote:
... the PO removed the shifter enclosure box -- I assume to provide more space. You *can* run a manual transmission without it.

NO !!! DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SHIFTER ENCLOSURE BOX !!!! DO NOT RUN YOUR VAN WITHOUT IT !!

I learned this the hard way. This box is not merely for ease of shifting !! It's there to protect your transmission !!

I am sadder, poorer... and chastened.

I had to install a "good" used transmission, while my van was 5 hours from home, in October. The good mechanic I found in Vermont firmly believes that driving for a few years without the shifter enclosure box led to the transmission and clutch parts running amok. The pilot bearing was shreadded, and other components ruined. The clutch plate itself was in two pieces. It was not a pretty sight.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

truepaul wrote:
* * * * I have to amend my earlier post !!
truepaul wrote:
... the PO removed the shifter enclosure box -- I assume to provide more space. You *can* run a manual transmission without it.

NO !!! DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SHIFTER ENCLOSURE BOX !!!! DO NOT RUN YOUR VAN WITHOUT IT !!

Hmmm, since my van doesn’t have a stock trans or shifter, I have no shifter box. Never occurred to me that might allow the 225/60-16 spare to fit. We will see.
When I tried it with stock carrier, it seemed the cross member was the sticking point.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: