Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leak between the engine and transmission
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a 57 ragtop that I am getting back on the road after sitting for a few years.

I've spent the last month sorting out trans issues; you can read about those here, though I suspect this is not related. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754438

After getting the motor and trans back in, on first start, within about a minute I get oil pouring (yes poring not dripping) from between the engine and trans. It wasn't hot and it was pretty clean, so I'm pretty sure its transmission fluid, not engine oil.

Not sure if it matters, but the car is up on stands still; it's not resting on wheels on the ground.

I'm guessing rear main seal in the trans needs to be replaced? Just wanted to sanity check this before I pull the damn thing apart again. This will be the 3rd time in two months. Shocked
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Yes, here is only one seal on the trans which is the main seal, make sure you buy a good german one and you might as well change the one on the engine while you have it out too unless you know it's good and since you're there check the brass starter bushing too. Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

special tools are helpful > z
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

If it were me. I would figure out if it was tranny oil or engine oil. They are very different in smell, feel and taste. Yes, taste! Once you get the oil selection finalized, replace the seal that that oil is seeping by.

Remember that it could be a cracked case, or some other seal, so investigating is key. But you really need to figure out which major component to go looking at.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Thanks all. As I said...I'm 90% sure it's tranny fluid, but I'll def look for any signs it's coming from any place other than the trans once I remove the engine.

I'm guessing I should drain the trans fluid before removing the seal, or is be below the level of the seal?
Miklo
ˇChale!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

I've never seen a transmission pour oil from the bell housing area.

A possible bad input shaft seal... Terribly bad. I would still suspect the engine.

If you aren't sure when the trans fluid was replaced, might as well just drain it and refill after installing the new input shaft seal on the transmission.

I however wouldn't doubt it's a bad main seal behind the flywheel or bad or incorrectly installed cam plug.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

I agree...it was pretty intense...or at least I thought so, but I may be overstating it. It was maybe a 1/2 quart or so in the few minutes I had it running. Zero leaks before starting it...and it stopped once I turned it off. Also, as I said...the fluid was cold.
Miklo
ˇChale!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

!/2 a quart is not overstating it. That's quite a bit.

I still suspect the engine. Main seal behind flywheel or the cam plug.

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Engine oil doesn't seem to be any lower. I think I'll drain the trans fluid and start it up again to confirm. Last thing I want to do is another tear down and replace only to find I didn't replace what I needed to.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:
I've never seen a transmission pour oil from the bell housing area.

A possible bad input shaft seal... Terribly bad. I would still suspect the engine.

If you aren't sure when the trans fluid was replaced, might as well just drain it and refill after installing the new input shaft seal on the transmission.

I however wouldn't doubt it's a bad main seal behind the flywheel or bad or incorrectly installed cam plug.

… might be good to always - always replace the input shaft seal when your engine is out and always - always replace that trans seal too - I once bought a half dozen of each, just to have 'em on hand - they get used - Think I have SOBO brand, bought at Bughaus in Tulsa - buy a bunch... buy all the special tools too - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Did you rebuild the engine, too? I am asking to clear up a thought in my head.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

"… might be good to always - always replace the input shaft seal when your engine is out"

Probably good advice. I didn't know they could this pernickety.

"Did you rebuild the engine, too? I am asking to clear up a thought in my head."

I did a partial rebuilt when I first acquired the car 5 years ago. New gaskets and rings, but did not split the case. After that I did run the motor some (only a few miles) but never had this oil leak issue.

I drained the trans fluid yesterday and started it and nothing leaked so trans seal it is. But I'll take Zen's advice and replace the main seal also.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

If it was gear oil, you should know pretty easily. It has a very strong odor, some may like it, but it smells like crap to me Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
"Did you rebuild the engine, too? I am asking to clear up a thought in my head."

[quote=“Lumbee”]I did a partial rebuilt when I first acquired the car 5 years ago. New gaskets and rings, but did not split the case.[/quote]

That’s what I was fishing for. Seen several “rebuilds” where res silicon was used as the sealant between the case halves and that drain at the rear get plugged up. I was thinking that may be the issue, a plugged up oil drain hole at the seal.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

Jimbo, is that someone I can check out when I replace the main seal?
Miklo
ˇChale!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

We don't know till the engines pulled. It'll answer everything...

A few quick points.

Excessive end play will beat up a main seal.

Always grease the new main seal at the flywheel well when installing the new seal.

Not greasing the new main seal at the flywheel will melt a new main seal to the flywheel on its first run.

Deforming and creating a big leak at next start up, even with a brand new seal.

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

lumbee wrote:
Jimbo, is that someone I can check out when I replace the main seal?

Believe so. I would need to double check on a case I have. On the 1600, yes. 12s, 13s, & 15s, I would need to double check. But, if silicon was used then assume the drain is plugged!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Leak between the engine and transmission Reply with quote

If you've ever driven through Odessa, Texas, that's what 90 weight gear lube smells like. Not good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: