Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Alt Harness -- three red wires?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: GW Alt Harness -- three red wires? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I've reviewed the archives and found a number of 'the GW harness doesn't exactly match the old harness' threads, but nothing that seems to describe my situation. Apologies if it's already been covered.

I have a 1984.5 1.9L Waterboxer. As far as I can tell, the harness I'm removing is from the factory.

The connections to the alternator and the starter are pretty straightforward, but I ran into trouble at the junction box. The new harness has a blue wire with a spade terminal and a red wire with an 8m post terminal.

Here's how the old harness hooks up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The blue spade wire is there, underneath THREE wires, all on the post. One is solid red, two (crimped together at the terminal) are red with white.

I read elsewhere that the two wires were vestigial from before VW upgraded the alternator, but I haven't seen mention of the third wire.

Can anyone assure me that if I wire in the one red wire from the new harness to replace these three, I'll be getting power everywhere it needs to go?

Thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Alt Harness -- three red wires? Reply with quote

Yours is the normal red wire combo for your year. In mid 86 the arrangement changed for the better. You should be fine, just expect it to be a little different.

The smaller red wire will remain but the other 3 reds will be removed and replace by only 1 red from the alternator to that stud.

Mark
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Alt Harness -- three red wires? Reply with quote

Thanks, crazy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: