Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Almost 20 years ago I had a mechanic install a South African big brake kit on my 1986 syncro tin top. Rotors and pads have been since replaced. Recently my front passenger wheel is starting to rumble at high speed. Suspect the wheel bearings are burning out. My question is, are the wheel bearings stock syncro or were they specific to the kit?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

pretty sure it was stock syncro as the only thing they needed to change was the rotor, caliper & maybe trim the wheel hub.

You will need to order the seals as well, Inner and outer.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

I thought the Syncro front hub was small from the factory and had separate rotors like a regular braking system? And press in bearings like a FWD car.

So you'd just need a stock Syncro wheel bearing set and a press.

https://www.vancafe.com/251407625-p/251407625.htm
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
I thought the Syncro front hub was small from the factory and had separate rotors like a regular braking system? And press in bearings like a FWD car.

So you'd just need a stock Syncro wheel bearing set and a press.

https://www.vancafe.com/251407625-p/251407625.htm

The bearing is press in. It is a wide bearing because it houses both the inner and outer bearing.

You can either remove the entire spindle and take to a machine shop or use a bearing press kit. The problem with the bearing press kit you get on loan from the local FLAPS is they do not have the exact diameter of the bearing so you have to get creative in finding something to push the bearing out.

I used all-thread rods and sockets/pvc tubing to get mine. It was a PITA!

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Assuming stock syncro front wheel bearings, You will need 2 of these for each corner if you are replacing the wheel bearings. Steve mentioned them above.

http://t3technique.com/drivetrain-parts/cv-joints,-boots,-etc/syncro-front-wheel-bearing-seal.html
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. Thought they sounded like stock from googling but wasn't quite sure. Now I just need to find them. Van cafe has bearings but no seals. Go Westy is out of their kit. Sounds like my favorite local mechanic will be involved due to pressing them in.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Order them Monday, have them by Friday has been the norm for my dealings with them.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t3-syncro/dr...front.html

syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Will talk with my mechanic Monday, see what he can come up with. If not will give your suggestion a shot. Never ordered parts from Europe.
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings / South African big brake kit Reply with quote

Hi all, '89 Syncro with 120k miles since SA Big Brake and hub install. I'm about to change out the pads and rotors and while I've had no problem with the hubs was wondering if there is a time table for maintenance? Tnx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: