Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spark plug wires, distributor caps, chaos
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: spark plug wires, distributor caps, chaos Reply with quote

Endeavoring to replace the distributor cap, rotors, plugs, and wires for the first time on my 1984.5 1.9L WBX. Engine seemed to be firing OK, but there was no clear record of when all this was done last when I purchased the van last year.

Assuming (foolishly, of course), that everything was factory or OEM before I took anything apart, I asked my local Vanagon whisperers to get me the best plugs and cables for the model year. They delivered a Bosch early model distributor cap w/ the copper bushings inside:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and these STI cables:

with these pins:

When I went to do the job, I found that there was a newer model distributor cap with the pins in the cap:

And when I went to put the cables onto the plugs, I realized that the metal casing over the boots on the new cables won't fit into the plug seats. I went to compare them to the cables I had removed and realized that those cables, which are designed to go over the pins in the newer distro cap, don't have the metal casing over the plug boot at all.

So I'm left wondering:

1) Does the new-style distributor cap mean that it's an after-market distributor? Are the caps interchangeable?
2) Do I have the wrong cables for the old-style distributor cap? If so, why would the otherwise knowledgeable shop have sold me those cables with that distributor cap?
3) What's the deal with the metal casing on the boot? Are the plug holes larger on a 2.1L? Could I just take off the metal casing and put the rubber boot on without it?
4) Assuming at least one of these parts is wrong, is it better to keep the cables and get a new-style cap or keep the old-style cap and get different cables?
5) As always, what else am I missing?

Feel free to gently mock me. Just trying to learn.

Thanks!
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug wires, distributor caps, chaos Reply with quote

OK, I've figured out that my dumbest mistake is that I hadn't removed the screw-on nipple tips on the new plugs. Once I did that, the cables slide on and seat just fine.

The questions about the different distributor cap styles remain, though:

Are the caps interchangeable as long as you have the correct cables?

If so, is there any advantage to one over the other?

Do I have the correct pin type for the old-style cap?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug wires, distributor caps, chaos Reply with quote

you can switch to the newer style pin caps, yours likely came with a socket cap, i like the feel of the wire insertion better on the pin caps and pin wires. BUT... you MUST use the correct rotor with the correct cap. look at the listings of the vanagon vendors to get the correct part numbers.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug wires, distributor caps, chaos Reply with quote

And while you're trying to get everything to match up... check your coil to see what you have there.

I have never encountered chaos doing this - just purchased the correct Bosch parts for my 84.

You said yours is an 84.5 - I do not know what that means.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: