Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop color / antenna
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

I am in the process of re-spraying my westy. The original color is Flash Silver metallic. My question to you, should I spray the top the same color? or keep it the original white?
Does anyone know the paint code to the white top? I know some have used marine paint etc. I prefer to use automotive paint with clear.

Also, I was debating on shaving the antenna, rear wiper, rear badge holes for a cleaner look. Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts? What other items have you removed? I dont ever use the the radio and I dont think I would miss my rear wiper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

i am in the same boat with the antennae.. i opted to keep the hole so as to throw a large antennae in there.. can always just rubber plug it until you figure it out. My guess was to better have the option

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

i just did a Luggage Rack on mine using Rust-Oleum "Topside" boat paint.
About 18 buck a qt. at Home Depot.

Check out my thread on it. the white is definitely a cooler temp, but i think with silver you would not have any problems either.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&start=80

Also there are some other threads out there doing the drain mod and painting.

They do not make the "Topside" in silver.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings/topside-paint/

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

I deleted the antenna and use a plug in/in dash antenna with mixed results. The powerful radio stations work fine but weaker signals are spotty. Losing a water ingress directly above the fuse panel was worth more to me than listening to smaller radio stations.
I also deleted the rear wiper, emblem holes and all the utility cutouts in the drivers side (Westy). I did all of the as a total redo/respray. The idea was to eliminate water ingress. My fridge is DC only and I fill the water tank from the inside.
I had the same questions regarding the top and painted it white FWIW.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
I deleted the antenna...

But it is so handy for hanging a trash bag.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
I deleted the antenna and use a plug in/in dash antenna with mixed results. The powerful radio stations work fine but weaker signals are spotty. Losing a water ingress directly above the fuse panel was worth more to me than listening to smaller radio stations.
I also deleted the rear wiper, emblem holes and all the utility cutouts in the drivers side (Westy). I did all of the as a total redo/respray. The idea was to eliminate water ingress. My fridge is DC only and I fill the water tank from the inside.
I had the same questions regarding the top and painted it white FWIW.

All good ideas. I might miss the rear wiper occasionally but probably not really, esp. if I ever get around to installing the rear cam "mirror".

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

I love my radio - but did delete the rear wiper in favour of a simple rubber plug. I never used it anyway.

Looks tidy.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

These are just my opinions, but that's what you asked for...

- Antenna. Yeah, I would be REAL tempted to fill that if I was doing a paint job on my van. There's just too many other options for tunes.

- Roof. I love the look of Westies with color-matched tops and flash silver is probably reflective enough to not cause issues with sun/heat. If I ever painted my pop top I would probably keep the red color on the sides but paint the horizontal surface white like school busses and UPS trucks do nowadays.

- Rear wiper. I'm definitely a weirdo on this one. There's just something about using a rear wiper on my van and hatchbacks that brings me joy. Especially if it's wiping a nice smooth arc through the dust that collected there while off-roading. Also, it's one of just a few things that screams "Vanagon GL" Laughing I would never give that up.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

Bordeaux Red top here.

I painted the top white,
and it resulted in about 40 degree
cooler. Left the sides red,
and you really can't tell the top
is white unless the top is popped.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
Bordeaux Red top here.

I painted the top white,
and it resulted in about 40 degree
cooler
. Left the sides red,
and you really can't tell the top
is white unless the top is popped.

That much!? Wow, this might have jumped WAY up on my list of things to eventually do sometime when I'm bored and have $ burning holes in my pockets.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

Yes.

And, it is an inexpensive task.

Paint prep is essential here,
I sanded then wiped with solvent
prior to rattle can painting.

Still holding up fine after 4 years.

ALSO, adding a cargo box and kayak to shade
the top has helped keep solar gain manageable.

dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

The Westy tops for the US market flash silver vans were Nutriabeige, most the rest of world were White (L90D is as good as any). Tops are usually painted using single stage slightly flattened. Try not to remove the molded texture (IMO).
Are you planning to use the original bumper color or color coding? Buth look good when coupled with the raised portion painted black. Again IMO.
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
The Westy tops for the US market flash silver vans were Nutriabeige, most the rest of world were White (L90D is as good as any). Tops are usually painted using single stage slightly flattened. Try not to remove the molded texture (IMO).
Are you planning to use the original bumper color or color coding? Buth look good when coupled with the raised portion painted black. Again IMO.

I did not know it was a Nutriabeige, is there a color code for this?
Yes, I want to keep the original top texture as much as possible.

Have not decided on bumpers yet. It came with chrome ones. Its an 87, I think they were originally chrome.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

Google "vw nutriabeige color code" L575.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop color / antenna Reply with quote

I'm definitely a fan of the color matched top. Mine was painted with color/clear coat and I didn't lose any of the texture. Has stayed shiny for more than 10 years.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: