Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove battery from 01 EV WK?????
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am trying to figure out how to remove the main battery from my 01 EV WK. I know from reading other inquiries, that there is supposed to be a 13mm bolt toward the bottom front of the battery. I can't see this bolt because there are a bunch of cables that run parallel to the battery, perhaps covering bolt. I also read the you are suppose to be able to push down on the black fuse box thing in front of the battery to remove(????) I can't move that, unless there is a hidden lock/latch I should be pressing. I've posted some photos. The metal bracket that is clearly seen.

Also, how do you remove the clamps from the battery itself? Is loosening the nut on the top of the cable clamp the way to do this? Never seen a battery connector like this.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Unscrew the 6 mm nut with a 10mm socket on the clamps a few turns. Than turn the cable clamps slightly and remove. Start with the ground / negative cable first. Move the wires away and loosen the 8mm bolt with a 13mm socket and extension for hold down clamp. Take out battery.
crazylev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Thanks Tvättbjörn.

It sounds like the cables have to be removed from battery in order to access the 13mm bolt at bottom of bracket. Do you know if I would have to disconnect all the wires that are attached to the battery clamps or can those remain in place?

I am going to replace the batter with an Interstate MT-47/H5 Group H5. This is the size recommended on Interstates site.

After install, is there anything (other than radio) that needs to be reset? I've heard something about transmission computer, and if so what is the procedure for doing that?

Thanks to all for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

You don’t have to disassemble the cables but the terminals should already be disconnected, especially with the wiring hacks going on there. This is mechanics 001
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You don’t have to disassemble the cables but the terminals should already be disconnected, especially with the wiring hacks going on there. This is mechanics 001

Correct. Just disconnect both terminal clamps. Leave all the small wires on the clamps. You need a long extension and a 13mm socket. You just have to push the lower plastic towards the battery to get the socket on.

It is usually only the radio. It may take a minute or two until your idle stabilizes again after the battery was replaced.

BTW: do not call it 13mm bolt. It is the socket size. The bolt is 8mm.

Those bolts also like to rust. If the 8 mm bolt Wink does not turn spray some good rust penetrate on it and let it sit for a while.

Make sure to get the correct battery. They also make batteries with switched terminals. Remember on what side the positive and negative terminal is.!!
crazylev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Thank you Abscate and Tvättbjörn!

I borrowed a friends 13mm socket and extender bar to reach the bolt. Has anyone replaced their battery with the Interstate I posted above? I'm just going the Lead Acid way.

JL
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

I replaced the “correct“ battery with a standard 24F from Costco. Why? Easier to find. The cable on the left (as you face the engine) was now a tad too short. I ordered a cut off switch from Amazon that had the effect of lengthening he cable enough.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

I'm removing the main battery from one of our vans today, and ran into the same "how do I get to the clamp-down bolt (that I can't even see)!?" question as the OP. No other vehicle I've owned makes it quite this awkward.

I expected this to be super-quick and simple, so my frustration level was quickly approaching angle-grinder levels. Evil or Very Mad Decided to search here instead. Wink This thread saved the day. So, a quick post to say "thanks" for the replies, and especially @Tvättbjörn's "Leave all the small wires on the clamps. You need a long extension and a 13mm socket. You just have to push the lower plastic towards the battery to get the socket on."

Glad we're all here, helping each other out. Thanks all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I replaced the “correct“ battery with a standard 24F from Costco. Why? Easier to find. The cable on the left (as you face the engine) was now a tad too short. I ordered a cut off switch from Amazon that had the effect of lengthening he cable enough.

How much different is the 24F. GOt a picture.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

When I did rotations in Chicago there were battery removal experts on every block on the South side. They covered both foreign and domestic
Phogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

WOW! Just want to add on to previous comment about how this posting saved me a ton of aggravation and probably a pretty fee for a mechanic to switch out my battery.

The photos made all the difference, along with the instruction to find the 8mm bolt and 13mm head by pushing stuff toward the battery. NEVER would have found that head, let alone the bolt as it was buried under the cables in front of my battery.

The extension is an absolute must - I was lucky to have one just long enough to access the head. It's a tight, almost blind fit.

Sincerely appreciate you guys detailing this above. Searched YOUTUBE and couldn't find a thing - this saved my a$$
handy island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

I was still confused after reading all of this. So I will add:

the 13mm bolt is indeed underneath the bundle of plastic wire wraps. Pushing them toward the battery was not effective for me. I had to wiggle my socket through the middle of the bundle and then take care not to back the bolt all the way out because it would be a challenge to re-insert it.
hightor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove battery from 01 EV WK????? Reply with quote

Last night replaced my 02's battery and this forum helped troubleshoot the obvious frustration that I felt, and so many others did at "how to get the battery out"!?! The bolt is so unexpected. Thanks for everyone's generous contribution to sharing knowledge here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: