Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

if the cylinders had stoped firing/running they will pull oil up so...it may or may not have bad rings. were they properly torqued?were they still torqued when pulled down? never use sily cone for the head gadget. check everything!!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

I’d pull that clear apart and go through it.

Unless you know what’s in there, you don’t.

Check for a spread center main first.

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I’d pull that clear apart and go through it.

Unless you know what’s in there, you don’t.

Check for a spread center main first.

Absolutely!

And...I still want to know what the configuration is. He stated its a 1.7L in his first post.

Those are 1.8L heads. The cylinder bore in the 1.8L heads is 4.14"-ish

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 1.7L head has a cylinder bore of 3.93"-sh

If the previous owner were inexperienced enough (or dumb enough)...to put 1.8L heads on a 1.7L engine core...resulting in an ~ 0.210" difference....about 0.105" all around gap.....which WILL leak both oil and compression......a sloppy or inexperienced person might readily see the "logic" of trying to stuff a ring of RTV around the rim of each jug.

Don't laugh to hard...I have seen one type 4 engine from GEX this way and have met one person many year ago that thought they could get away with doing this (1.8 heads on a 1.7L engine).

So yes....looking at the RTV alone (even if it turns out to be a complete 1.8L)....I would tear it down looking for other landmines ....and even more so if it turns out to be a 1.7L core with 90mm cylinders...that the PO threw 1.8L heads on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies. I will try answer all the questions.
I have taken more pictures tonight but I haven't got much time due to work until the weekend...Anyway.

1. It is a 1800cc and NOT 1700cc. I have based my first post on the documentation I had with the van but in reality when measuring the bore it is 93mm (see picture) so if I am correct this equals to a 1800cc -> right heads are on it then. Apologies for the confusion.

2. There was "fresh oil" when I opened but I am wondering if it doesn't come from the fact that the engine was moved a lot when removing it and lifting it up on my bench ? I did not drive with the van so not sure if it was burning oil.

3. Yes it is black RTV silicone on the sealing surface ! Not sure why this was put there...I have started to scrape it off slightly to see underneath if there was any damage. (see picture)

4. Yes there is flaky deposit on the valve.

5. I have checked the cylinders studs and they are tight.

6. I will check the piston rings. The previous owner told me they have been replaced but looking at this they might not have been or not been fitted properly...

7. Yes everything was torqued as per manual on the head.

As I said, I will check the piston rings and cylinders in detail and post more pictures but clearly what has been done is really bad...Some cylinders are damaged on the outside wings.

Thanks. Cheers

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Wow!

Oily!

So yes.....its a 1.8L. Was there silicone RTV under and on the sealing rings or just around the outside of the cylinder bore?

One can only assume or speculate that someone assembled this engine...had "0" oil control and lots of oil seepage...and then took heads off and gooped it up thinking that would stop the leaking.

It would be interesting to see the cylinder bores and rings. Yep..tear it down completely. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

There was RTV only on the outside of the cylinder bore.
Inside just those shims.
Yes, I am wondering if its worth buying a new kit. I have found a kit piston & barrels for £300 on Heritage...

Thanks.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

PaoloT2 wrote:
Inside just those shims.
Yes, I am wondering if its worth buying a new kit. I have found a kit piston & barrels for £300 on Heritage...

Thanks.

Possibly. Its worth it first just to CAREFULLY tear it all down. You may find that the pistons other than oily carbon are maybe in very good shape but the rings just never seated properly. IF they are in good shape and the skirts measure properly and no scoring...have a proper hone done, get new rings and use them

You may find the main bearings in excellent shape. If so...use them again if they measure right.

Also with the issues that stock type 4 cams have with age and mileage you need to tear it down and inspect and probably replace it.

Even the heads do not look "bad". Tear them down and check everything. You can always buy new parts after you find out what is going on.

Ray
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Before you remove the cylinders put a straight edge across them .verify if you have an issue with the flatness of the case/cylinders or if the heads were just loose because of the silicon .

Last edited by Wreck on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
PaoloT2 wrote:
Inside just those shims.

Thanks.

Possibly. Its worth it first just to CAREFULLY tear it all down. You may find that the pistons other than oily carbon are maybe in very good shape but the rings just never seated properly. IF they are in good shape and the skirts measure properly and no scoring...have a proper hone done, get new rings and use them

You may find the main bearings in excellent shape. If so...use them again if they measure right.

Also with the issues that stock type 4 cams have with age and mileage you need to tear it down and inspect and probably replace it.

Even the heads do not look "bad". Tear them down and check everything. You can always buy new parts after you find out what is going on.

Ray

You are saying I should also open the engine block completely as well ? I haven't been that far before...

What are the cams issues with high mileage type 4 ?

Thank you.
PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Before you remove the cylinders put a straight edge across them .verify if you have an issue with the flatness of the case/cylinders or if the heads were just lose because of the silicon .

Will do. Thank you.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Type 4 gasket kits come with two sets of shimming rings. That service bulletin prescribed putting the larger shims under the barrel, and forgo the "head gasket" shims. It also talks of cutting notches in the rods for better oiling...but that's another story (not worth exploring in this case). I'm a convinced head-lapper, too.

The brown valve is a good color, but it's the only "dry" one. There are serious oil issues. If you can only change 1 part, I'd change the exhaust valves. The heads probably want a going-over. The easiest thing to check is probably valve guide wear. If it's wrong, there's no avoiding rebuilding the heads.

What was the blowback like through the breather?

Are there any fuel issues which could be affecting sealing?

I have to agree with the cam, sorta type4 Achille's heal, it's probably out of spec. You can see a lot of cam stuff through the holes, without opening the case. Start there.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

[quote="FreeBug"]Type 4 gasket kits come with two sets of shimming rings. That service bulletin prescribed putting the larger shims under the barrel, and forgo the "head gasket" shims. It also talks of cutting notches in the rods for better oiling...but that's another story (not worth exploring in this case). I'm a convinced head-lapper[quote=“FreeBug”]

It does specify the thick spacer, but I wouldn’t put the recommended barrel spacer in. You want that deck tighter. With that thick spacer they want you to add, your squish/quench SUCKS, and it is a less the ideal burn, and the engine runs hotter. Tighten that deck and bump the compression slightly as a result, and it will actually run a bit cooler. Counterintuitive, I know, but data doesn’t lie. That big deck is no good. Shoot for 0.030”… or 0.040” to be safe if you had a worn engine or are not confident in your measuring tools/skills. I would never put a T4 together with more than 0.040” deck.

Notching the rod journals for oiling the pistons is a good, free, and easy mod to do.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Before you remove the cylinders put a straight edge across them .verify if you have an issue with the flatness of the case/cylinders or if the heads were just loose because of the silicon .

This is good advice. If they cylinders wiggled around on you when taking the heads off, you can gently seat them on the case again with some small tubing cut to length, and thread the nuts on the studs against the tube finger tight. Do not use a wrench, or you can easy crack a cooling fin on the cylinder. Just finger tight to pull them up to the case.

The later cases had notches machined out inside the case between the cylinder bores for windage. Those cases are more prone to sagging in the deck because of this removed material between the bores. Earlier 1.7 cases which were not machined out in that area are more ridged and generally hold a flat deck better long term. Later cases are also thinner above the cylinders, with smaller and thinner gussets inside the case to support the top of the cylinders

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Tear it clear down if just to get it cleaned up..! Shocked
These motors cool all over, not just by the fins.
If it's covered in an insulating blanket of oil sludge it won't live.
Even if the lower end is fine, at least you'll be able to trust it.

FWIW, the link in my sig might be helpful...

What’s That Noise?!?
PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have managed to work a bit more on the engine today.
I have started to clean one of the head and it doesn't look too bad to be honest.
Definitely flat as well as barrels. Good News.

The piston rings are definitely new but it looks like the oil ring was overlapping...
I have taken some pictures for you to see.

Hopefully I can get further tomorrow but I need to buy a proper tool for the valve removal and for the deck measurement.

The shim in the heads are measuring 0,75mm x 2 and the shims under the barrels 0,20mm.
Does it sound correct to you ? Do you know what I would be looking at approx to get the correct deck height ?

I have posted some pictures as well.

Thank you.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

This image tells me that it was a later case. Notice the notch between the barrels inside the case at center right in the photograph… I would be surprised if it was still flat after 40 years of use. How exactly did you determine flatness/parallelism or the cylinders at the head end when installed in the case?

PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

I have followed Wreck advice and used a ruler as shown in his picture to check flatness at the cylinder barrels top when in the case.

What does the notch mean exactly please ?

Thanks.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Was it visual, or did you try and slide shim stock or a thin 0.001 - 0.002 feeler gauge between the straight edge and cylinders near where the cylinders are close together?

If it is in fact flat, you probably have a good core engine for a rebuild. Cool Cool

That notch was machined in later cases so that there was more room for air to move back and forth between the 1/3 and the 2/4 cylinders while the engine was running. Why VW thought it was necessary to have more room for windage is a bit of a mystery since early cases do just fine even with big bore 103mm /105mm cylinders. Machining that material away removed a fair amount of meat between the cylinders, and is one big reason why later cases are more likely to sag in the center.

PaoloT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

No I haven't tried with a shim. I will try if possible.
Do you agree with the oil rings overlapping ?

Thanks.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing cylinder heads VW Type 4 engine Reply with quote

Best to try with a shim. You may not easily be able to see if there is a gap. I say 0.002” or more of a gap is worthy of decking the case. It’s not easy to see 0.002” just by eye. In my experience, eyeballing it will only tell you if it’s really out of whack or not.

I wouldn’t worry about the way your oil ring pieces are lined up. As long as all three parts are there it will function fine so long as everything is in good shape. Given the wet cylinders, I question that second part. If it’s not a worn valve guide, either the ring lands on the pistons are shot, end gape of the rings is too large (thus low ring tension), or the cylinders are worn…possibly out of round.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: