Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

Today I replaced the speedometer cable and decided to finally fix the speedometer, a long while ago the needle got stuck. I disassembled it, cleaned and lubricated with vaseline every piece of it, including the tiny head of the needle (don't know if that was a bad thing). Now the speedometer moves freely, but reads a speed below the actual one, about 20 km/h under what I'm really travelling at. What may cause that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

My car is a 1966 beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

Tire size has a huge affect on what you are reading on the speedometer.

What size front tires are you running?

I'm not sure it helps ya. But just run with the traffic and you should be good to go.

Police around here. Don't really pull you over. Unless you're way over the speed limit. Well maybe 10MPH/Km over might get you a ticket.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

Tires are 5.60 x 15
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Tire size has a huge affect on what you are reading on the speedometer.

What size front tires are you running?

I'm not sure it helps ya. But just run with the traffic and you should be good to go.

Police around here. Don't really pull you over. Unless you're way over the speed limit. Well maybe 10MPH/Km over might get you a ticket.

I don't care about the police, I just want my thing to work good, I know it can't be exact, but can be way better.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

I have found the speedometers on both of my VWs is fairly accurate up to around 45-50 and then progressively get less accurate. At around 65/70 they are off by as much as 8mph or more. I just use a Speedo app on my phone if I want an accurate speed.

I’m not a Speedo restoration expert but not sure vasoline is the best choice. Maybe I’m wrong but seems really thick for such an application.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reading inacurate, below the real speed. Reply with quote

if you had the needle off the shaft were you aware that there is a preload spring? you might not have noticed the shaft turn slightly and therefore the needle is on the wrong splines.
also agree with sharp64, my first thought was vaseline is too 'sticky'. see this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327535&

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: