Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:
Just took off the thunderer ranger r101 tires 195r15c 8 ply off the front of my 64 bus that had pressure at 30 and it was like white knuckle driving. put on my other prospector suv tires 205 75 15 load 1609. I think its much better.
https://simpletire.com/brands/thunderer-tires/rang...Zip=49501. I think the rangers are just too heavy a tire for a split bus. At pressures above 30 it seems not all the tread even contacts the road. Was afraid to run them with less than 30. Havnt run across anyone else using them and or pressures under 30 just to get them to be stable...........68 front end with new ball joints, center pin, drag link, tie rods ok, steering box rebuilt.

I'm running the T-Rangers on my 1966 Sundial. 30 psi front 34 psi rear, Bilstein
shock and Addco swaybars fron and rear. These tires are white knuckle driving, especialy at freeway speeds. (65 mph).

I'm thinking this tire is too heavy for the bus. The drive feels "skatey", as if the tire is not in full contact with the road. I had a set of Hercules tires in a slightly different size and the drive tracked straight, didn't get blown around and handled well. Should have kept them.

I'm now looking at the Grabber ATX tire. Same height, in the 1600 lb range rather than the T-Ranger on the 2000 lb range. Now I'm thinking the bus doesn't weigh enough to make a good connection, tire to road.

What's the latest opinion on the Grabbers? 205-75-15
BTW- I'll have a set of T-Rangers with about 200 miles on them for sale soon.
$200 p/u in San Diego.

dgsaz

maybe your tire pressure is too high? i would give that a shot. something in the 20s up front and maybe 30 in the back. try it as low as you can go without the tire sidewall bulging too much at the bottom. buses were built for bias ply tires. much more compliant than a radial

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

https://www.performanceplustire.com/products/ts:tiresizeshort-lt195-70-15:ty:Tire/

Tire Size
LT195/70R15 104/102R 8 Ply
Manufacturer Part Number: WSC25
See Other Fitments
Tire Specifications
Speed Rating [?] : R
Sidewall Style [?] : Black Side Wall
Load Index : 104/102
Section Width : 195
Diameter : 15
Construction : 8 Ply Rated
Tire Construction : Radial
Speed Rating : 106 mph[/img]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
https://www.performanceplustire.com/products/ts:tiresizeshort-lt195-70-15:ty:Tire/

Tire Size
LT195/70R15 104/102R 8 Ply
Manufacturer Part Number: WSC25
See Other Fitments
Tire Specifications
Speed Rating [?] : R
Sidewall Style [?] : Black Side Wall
Load Index : 104/102
Section Width : 195
Diameter : 15
Construction : 8 Ply Rated
Tire Construction : Radial
Speed Rating : 106 mph[/img]

Almost the same specs as the T-Ranger. Are you running these? What psi?

dgsaz
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

Almost the same specs as the T-Ranger. Are you running these? What psi?

dgsaz

I am not, I just found the listing. Not easy to find this size in LT rated tires.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
dgsaz wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:
Just took off the thunderer ranger r101 tires 195r15c 8 ply off the front of my 64 bus that had pressure at 30 and it was like white knuckle driving. put on my other prospector suv tires 205 75 15 load 1609. I think its much better.
https://simpletire.com/brands/thunderer-tires/rang...Zip=49501. I think the rangers are just too heavy a tire for a split bus. At pressures above 30 it seems not all the tread even contacts the road. Was afraid to run them with less than 30. Havnt run across anyone else using them and or pressures under 30 just to get them to be stable...........68 front end with new ball joints, center pin, drag link, tie rods ok, steering box rebuilt.
I'm running the T-Rangers on my 1966 Sundial. 30 psi front 34 psi rear, Bilstein
shock and Addco swaybars fron and rear. These tires are white knuckle driving, especialy at freeway speeds. (65 mph).

I'm thinking this tire is too heavy for the bus. The drive feels "skatey", as if the tire is not in full contact with the road. I had a set of Hercules tires in a slightly different size and the drive tracked straight, didn't get blown around and handled well. Should have kept them.

I'm now looking at the Grabber ATX tire. Same height, in the 1600 lb range rather than the T-Ranger on the 2000 lb range. Now I'm thinking the bus doesn't weigh enough to make a good connection, tire to road.

$200 p/u in San Diego.

dgsaz
maybe your tire pressure is too high? i would give that a shot. something in the 20s up front and maybe 30 in the back. try it as low as you can go without the tire sidewall bulging too much at the bottom. buses were built for bias ply tires. much more compliant than a radial

I have driven my Achilles 195R15s (same specs as the thunderer rangers) for hours on end at 75mph. I have had them up to at least 82mph, and probably 85-86mph, and they feel solid as hell. I run them at 35psi. I have basically the same specs tires on five different buses and they all feel great. I run old boge shocks, and a stock bus sway bar, and all my steering is tight.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
mandraks wrote:
dgsaz wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:

$200 p/u in San Diego.

dgsaz

I have driven my Achilles 195R15s (same specs as the thunderer rangers) for hours on end at 75mph. I have had them up to at least 82mph, and probably 85-86mph, and they feel solid as hell. I run them at 35psi. I have basically the same specs tires on five different buses and they all feel great. I run old boge shocks, and a stock bus sway bar, and all my steering is tight.

Obviously your parachute system worked after the bus free fell from being pushed out the back of an airplane at 30,000 feet? Smile
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Lind wrote:

Obviously your parachute system worked after the bus free fell from being pushed out the back of an airplane at 30,000 feet? Smile
nope, just a Porsche engine. Real speeds, with the GPS.

In the '80s, bugorama in sacramento advertised the fastest bus in the world, and they lifted a split panelvan up with a helicopter and dropped it. Seriously.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:

having the same experience with the achilles tire. They seem to "hunt" way too much compared with the 10+ year old michellins ..
The bus has rebuilt spindles and I plan on doing the center pin , so the front end is not perfect but the difference was night & day when I switched to the achilles.

I'm considering going to something else. I have a set of vancos on 14" for another bus build that I may try on this bus (its a 67' that I have 15" wheels ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:
Lind wrote:

nope, just a Porsche engine. Real speeds, with the GPS.

In the '80s, bugorama in sacramento advertised the fastest bus in the world, and they lifted a split panelvan up with a helicopter and dropped it. Seriously.

When they did that publicity stunt, I was pissed, and placed them at the top of my "do NOT shop at" list!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scarceller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I just found this tire, it's a 195R15 that's 8 ply commercial rated at 2000lb

Triangle TR645 195R15C Load D 8 Ply Commercial

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303945337320

Super strong stiff sidewall.

Thoughts?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

scarceller wrote:
I just found this tire, it's a 195R15 that's 8 ply commercial rated at 2000lb

Triangle TR645 195R15C Load D 8 Ply Commercial

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303945337320

Super strong stiff sidewall.

Thoughts?

I would think they would be just fine.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Mixing Tires

I'm not a big fan of A/T tires on the front of a bus. I would prefer to run a C or D rated truck tire on the front and an all terrain tire on the rear for traction.

Dirt road, not off road. I could run the BFG A/T or the Grabber A/T. Is there an issue with mixing tires? These tires are 250 lbs load rated less than the fronts.

I have always thought highway tread was best on pavement with regards to tire/road contact and handling in general. Long held belief (from my Uncle John who had a retread shop)

Have things changed and a/t tires are fine on the front, on 2WD. Obviously the a/t tires look cool. Does it still make a difference?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Mixing Tires

I'm not a big fan of A/T tires on the front of a bus. I would prefer to run a C or D rated truck tire on the front and an all terrain tire on the rear for traction.

Dirt road, not off road. I could run the BFG A/T or the Grabber A/T. Is there an issue with mixing tires? These tires are 250 lbs load rated less than the fronts.

I have always thought highway tread was best on pavement with regards to tire/road contact and handling in general. Long held belief (from my Uncle John who had a retread shop)

Have things changed and a/t tires are fine on the front, on 2WD. Obviously the a/t tires look cool. Does it still make a difference?

I guess you can try anything you want. But, you would do well to do a very good job of feeling out your handling characteristics in a variety of circumstances.
The front of all T1's and T2's have vastly less weight than the rears. The easiest way to get balanced handling is to use tires the same size, then lower the inflation pressure in the front to even up the contact patch. Having all 4 tires the same certainly makes it easier to control the variables. Not to mention, adding in the spare tire to the equation.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Interesting idea about contact patch vs tire pressures, but how do you measure contact patch?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Interesting idea about contact patch vs tire pressures, but how do you measure contact patch?

Oh, I'm VERY scientific: I read the owner's manual. Part about tire inflation.
I've driven near a million miles in these cars, more Vanagons than the early ones, but a goodly number of miles in 1970, 1969 double cab, 1971 Dormie, 1973, 1978 CEII.
Every one of these I could feel if one of my rear tires was low about as soon as I got to highway speed.
I'm in Iowa. Windy here!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

chalk. line of chalk across the tire. drive it straight. see how it scrubs the chalk off. change the pressure, repeat until you like your contact patch
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I think finger printing ink would be better than chalk to get a full contact patch picture. I assume you could figure it out also, assuming tires and wheels are all same size on 4 wheels, by knowing the weight diff front to rear and adjusting that way. I always run less pressure in the front anyway
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2539357

discuss Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:

discuss Smile
I absolutely love the look of these tires. I have not yet bought a set to test their handling and longevity, but I plan to. They are a bit more than twice the price of the other radials that fit buses, but they look way better, and they look better than the Firestone bias plys, which have a low load rating and tend to wear pretty fast.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

discuss Smile
I absolutely love the look of these tires. I have not yet bought a set to test their handling and longevity, but I plan to. They are a bit more than twice the price of the other radials that fit buses, but they look way better, and they look better than the Firestone bias plys, which have a low load rating and tend to wear pretty fast.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

agree on all counts. price is real high to be sure , but if i had a high dollar pressed bumper bus I'd be all over these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: