Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI Fuel Tank Questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

I am replacing the gas tank on my 70 FI Fastback.

I have disassembled the fuel supply fitting, the parts are shown in the photo. No one seems to stock the gasket where the pipe flange is sealed to the fitting at the bottom of the tank. What is a suitable replacement for the flat gasket in the middle of the photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

Can get them with the screen as a kit.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D209%2D147%2DAWS

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

Just dont use the screen. Put an external strainer (outside the fuel tank) on it. The tank sock filter is a pain in the ass if it ever clogs.....and thats pretty common.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, the CIP web site only describes the kit as a fit for the 'TYPE 3 62', I have a 70 FI tank.

Do we think that this will fit and seal correctly since its the wrong application?

Thanks

Glen
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

a set of harbor freight punches, and a sheet of fuel compatible gasket material would make a new one in a couple minutes.

I tapped my tank outlet for a 1/4" NPT fitting

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

You could try this.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3288.htm

Adapt the VW threaded end with an AN6 adapter with a viton seal. Then use an an6 to hose barb or plumb it with rubber/stainless braided line and AN 6 fittings on the ends.

It will also let you plumb in a fuel shutoff or external filter. I try and use AN fittings as much as possible.

If you use an external filter; 100Micron before the pump and 10-45 micron after depending on carbs or FI.

Last edited by Scorpion1110 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, the CIP web site only describes the kit as a fit for the 'TYPE 3 62', I have a 70 FI tank.

Do we think that this will fit and seal correctly since its the wrong application?

Thanks

Glen

I have a strong feeling that CIP ran out of space in the header description to include the '73'. The other models listed pretty much include all years of production. It would be too strange for the part to be so universal, but only fit one year of the Type 3.

Additionally, these screens/washers look very similar to what is used on vintage BMW motorcycle tanks. Pretty sure my '71 r75/5 uses the same one.
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Fuel Tank Questions Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the FI Gas tank with the an6 conversion fitting. It's got a Viton seal and I used a bit of liquid Teflon on the tank threads. Never use sealant on AN threads.

It's an6 and has a swivel 90 fitting with a 5/16th hose barb. The return port is closed with a 5/16th hose and a shoulder bolt with FI clamp.

It's not original but it's seldom seen and it eliminates a leak point. I also got rid of the sock as I am running a pre-pump filter and a pre-carbs filter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: