Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line disconnected. Need advice.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

So after trying everything to get my bug running again. I took the Fuel pump off and the hard fuel line going into it was super loose. I went under the car and it is disconnected from the braided line.

I have no idea how this happened but is there a clamp or something missing that I need to replace to hold the metal line inside the braided line?

Thanks for any advice.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

I think you just solved your starvation problem.

No need to use clamps on the suction side--they cause the braided lines to crack prematurely at the clamps.

Suggestion: Get the paper Bentley manual if you don't already have it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

… sounds like you need a good, original VW repair manual - your car used a rubber braded line from the fuel tank to an in-line gas filter and then to a metal line in the engine compartment - that went to the fuel pump - i'd trace that line, from beginning to end - install new fuel hose - tighten all securing hose-clamps and recheck the threaded connections on the fuel pump and carb - do all that, and you will have done it all...

… hope this is not you're main ride - have fun - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch. I have a few manuals but need the good Bentley one. The ones
I have aren’t specific for 57 so it doesn’t always help. It’s not my main ride. Just trying to get her running again for a car show mid August. Thanks everyone!!
poopdevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

Is the cloth covered fuel hose 5mm? Sorry, just trying to get the correct size. Mine is pretty beat up looking. Smile
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

Yes 5mm.

If you had fuel in the tank but it wasn't pouring out of the disconnected hard line then you must have a blockage somewhere.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

To my knowledge and observation, VW never used an inline fuel filter on the supply line at the rear of the carburetor cars.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
To my knowledge and observation, VW never used an inline fuel filter on the supply line at the rear of the carburetor cars.

… perhaps the-folly is correct and very observant - but everyone, I know installs an in-line fuel filter - just guessing, that over the years (since 1957)this car has an in-line filter added...
Anyway, check the complete fuel-line system - make sure, you have fresh gasoline and you won't have to think 'bout all this again - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Anyway, check the complete fuel-line system - z

^this. remember there is another flexible hose between the fuel tank/tap and the metal line at the front of the car

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

Actually.... Check out the "K13" document here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletin_index.php

Lots more really cool stuff in them there files!!!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

K 13 above refers to a seldom used and today pretty uber rare accessory. for extreme conditions where "cans and drums" are transported (presumably under the bonnet?).

That K 13 reference is from November 1964 not an oval era accessory.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line disconnected. Need advice. Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
K 13 above refers to a seldom used and today pretty uber rare accessory. for extreme conditions where "cans and drums" are transported (presumably under the bonnet?).

That K 13 reference is from November 1964 not an oval era accessory.

"Never" is a very long time.

Have seen oval era or earlier VW factory literature showing the filter used. Will see if I can find it....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: