Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Isnt that going to cook you out? Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Isnt that going to cook you out? Twisted Evil

More than likely. Smile
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I carefully cut a hole in the spare tire cover and used the hose and vent from the kit to put it all together.

That vent you have next to the driver's seat would be better suited for the fresh air return, not heat. It's gonna get hot up front, but cold in rear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I carefully cut a hole in the spare tire cover and used the hose and vent from the kit to put it all together.

That vent you have next to the driver's seat would be better suited for the fresh air return, not heat. It's gonna get hot up front, but cold in rear.

I considered what you did there - looks great. I hesitated due to not wanting to cut up my cover and not being sure if the thin board would get too hot. How's it working out for you. 2kw or 5kw?
Thank you.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

5kw heater. No problem with the cover getting hot.

It was able to keep the interior at about 70 F when it was in the 30's on the mountain in late February. This was on the lowest setting. The top was down.

Next time a small USB fan will be used to circulate air inside for better distribution of the warm air. The back of the bus was cooler than the center section.

The smaller tank freed up some room for the pump and storage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Check in boys and girls. How is Chinese heat working out? I used my Eberspacher a couple times already in my bus over the last month and its only in the low 50's here in San Diego.

Plus/Minuses and personal experiences. I'm also curious how many have bought a spare since they are still cheap to purchase - relatively. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Check in boys and girls. How is Chinese heat working out? I used my Eberspacher a couple times already in my bus over the last month and its only in the low 50's here in San Diego.

Plus/Minuses and personal experiences. I'm also curious how many have bought a spare since they are still cheap to purchase - relatively. Cool

We love our $99, 5kwh in the tintop. In 35 degree weather, kept the inside of the bus 65-70 degrees, all day, for about $1.50 in diesel. We do dog shows so many hours sitting around cold barns. Having a heated bus is a game changer.
On our second year of trouble free usage.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm raising my hand!
I bought the same heater as the OP. TSEIPOAOI, lot easier to say "cheap Chinese diesel heater"
I installed on the floor of my 73 microbus, drivers side , in front of the rear wheel well.Exhausts out the left side by the rear jack point. I put the fuel tank on the left wall behind the drivers seat. I have a jump seat there made out of a milk crate and office chair. Can't even see the tank, and I stow my table top behind there too. I have the pump fastened to the bus frame. I've thought of getting the right size plastic container with a snap on lid to fit the pump inside. Would protect pump, and perhaps muffle some sound. Pumps, of course, aren't really loud, but they do tick.
The heater works great! Always fires right up, remote control up and down, on and off. If I turn it on right after I fire up the bus engine, by the time my Webers stop coughing (actually only about a minute @ 20*f ) , and drive a few blocks, I feel warmth before the bus heat.
Never do I smell any diesel inside the bus. And the heater never really smokes at all at the exhaust. The little muffler doesn't so much make it quieter, but lowers the pitch of the exhaust.
I have seen on Thesamba where folks plumb their heaters into the stock system. I think what I would do is turn around the the heater tree under the bus, that diverts to rear seats and walk through.( I have those blocked off now.) And be able to plug the ccdh hose into the rear seat heater outlet on the floor. Would help keep windshield clear on those fridgid drives. Or else a longer hose from the ccdh so a passenger can hold it to the windshield.
My battery is good, but at @ 0*f, it did not have the juice to fire up the heater, bus engine off. Just fired up bus, and all good. I would want two batteries if I was camping in the cold, I think.
No reason not to get one, if you are thinking about it.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

We had an Eberspacher for a few years and it was great, but we put a bigger motor in the back and had to rip out the Eberspacher. No room with dual carbs in an early Bay. Ordered a 2kw heater and received a 5kw as was the case a few years ago. 5kw is supposed to be too big for a bus and by now we should have had a problem with smoking and excess carbon but not yet.

The diesel tank is behind the driver's seat. You might think "why!?!" but diesel isn't even close to as flammable as gas.

Link

Routing the lines and hoses was no big deal. The heat is FUCKING AMAZING.

If we could've kept the Eberspacher, we would have, but there's just no room with dual Dellortos in the back.

Warmly yours,

D/A/N

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I don't know. Think If I lit some gas in my wifes dishes on the kitchen counter, Id be dead meat. Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Two thumbs up for my CCDPH!

We just got back from the first drive since October. Turned the heater on about 10 minutes before leaving, and we had a cozy drive. The only problem I experienced was trying to remember how to turn it on! Razz

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I was off/on the fence about these CDH’s. I didn’t want a inside install due to fuel tank odors/spills, cabinet space take up, floor holes drilling, warmer months having it sit taking space and wanted a portable unit for other reasons outside of camping. So I opted for the 5kw All In One Style units.

Unit sits outside the Bus, used battery clamps to hook to my aux deep cell battery. I then bought longer hoses then what came with the unit. I then made a Window access adapter for the hose to hook up. Just is a simple 3/4” plywood with a 3” hole in it that vent sits in. . I cut/ recessed the lower part of the panel to slightly recess over the window. I then added some old poptop seal to the remaining three sides. The display cord is long enough also to run in thru the window too. I run mine in the HZ mode anyway but still.

I also just made a basic cover to go over the unit for the super rainy weather as I don’t trust the weather factor of the red base. It’s just a plastic tub. Unhook the fresh combustion filter from red case and attach to outside of this tub. Long term plan is to put all the components and burner inside a Pelican Case to eliminate the water inttusion possibility. That will be sometime this summer.

Did some test runs in my garage on a 20 degree day. Did very well. I may make another plate long run and tie the fresh air cold intake hose up to it all for recirc factor.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Thats one wat to do it for sure Laughing

Nice clean adaptation. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Looks like a suicide setup must be the thought of people walking by😉
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I like your outside the"BOX" idea. I have a 71 with a type 1 motor. My idea is to plug the hose into one or both (with a wye) heat exchangers does that sound sound?
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I installed the CCDPH under my jump seat. I've run it during a few camping trips now, always on the lowest setting in Alpine Mode. Keeps the bus at about 24C (75F) when it's about 30F outside. It's the 5KW unit. I ran it this weekend at Joshua Tree. We had a light dusting of snow during the night but I was toasty.

Note the snow on the cooler.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

That is the same place where i put mine, i wonder i your heater can draw enough air when eveything is closed up?
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
That is the same place where i put mine, i wonder i your heater can draw enough air when eveything is closed up?

I have a gap along the bottom of the front edge of the seat cushion and I remove one of the plywood covers so there is plenty of flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone is running their heater off a power station like this one?

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/portable-505wh-power-station-with-500w-inverter/p/MB3768

I've been contemplating one of these for fridge / laptop etc, quite attracted to the idea of not always lugging around another battery and having everything built into a box I can also use if we get an extreme weather event / power outage in the house...
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
Wondering if anyone is running their heater off a power station like this one?

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/portable-505wh-power-station-with-500w-inverter/p/MB3768

I've been contemplating one of these for fridge / laptop etc, quite attracted to the idea of not always lugging around another battery and having everything built into a box I can also use if we get an extreme weather event / power outage in the house...

I was thinking of the same thing for our camper, instead of a dedicated leisure battery.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: