Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original windshield or tire? Maybe DOT can help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Original windshield or tire? Maybe DOT can help! Reply with quote

Is your tire or glass original? You may be able to tell by if it has a DOT number or not. As a note, I did the below research to try to answer a question about whether a 67 windshield was original.

Here is some historical information which may tell you.

* The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) was established by the Department of Transportation Act of Congress on October 15, 1966, and began operation on April 1, 1967
    * A standardized 10-digit Tire Identification Number (often called a DOT number) was mandated by the United States Department of Transportation in 1971
    * DOT numbers for auto glass glazing were required to be effective April 1, 1973

I'm going to add to this confusion a little - if it's mandated by a date, manufacturers must have been doing it before that date. For the glass, the specification for the glass was codified in FMVSS Part 205, which originally took effect on 1 Jan 1968 - so everyone would have been putting them on before that point.

DOT glass manufacturer codes were assigned in 1968 (One reference I found noted that the earliest note of a DOT mark on Camaros glass was in January 1969)

So, If you don't have a DOT number on your glass, it was before April 1, 1973. If you *do* have a DOT number, it *could* be any time after 1 January 1968.
Likewise, if your tire does not have a DOT code on it, it can not be any younger than 1971 (and, I'm sure you know, shouldn't be driven on!)

I now know that any original windshield for my 67 Beetle would *not* have a DOT code.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Research:
http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2013/10/date-coding-car-window-glass.html[/list]
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia

Last edited by harrymarlin on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:55 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Original windshield or tire? Reply with quote

Good Info

Thanks
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Original windshield or tire? Reply with quote

Yeah, I like stuff like this
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Original windshield or tire? Maybe DOT can help! Reply with quote

Geez... I drove my '39 Ford corn bin find on Ford script tires from the 1940's!!!!

But I never went more than 200 miles.... Cool Cool Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: