Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restauration of 71 411 wagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abel, Sorry to hear about your decision to sell the 411. You have been an inspiration to me with the way you are able to fix the rust parts of your car. I truly like that you are continuing fixing until it is sold. Hopefully the next buyer will appreciate the work you have done.

Cheers,
Walter
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Truly, you’re a hell of a metalsmith.

Chris
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Thank you all guys for your kind words. I really appreciate them as I know that I will regret getting rid of the car. After a few months lurking around this forum before I decided to join it, I realized how special the 411/412s.
I will still be here, posting more progress on the car until is sold,
cheers,
Abel
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Maybe you will change your mind. Sorry to see you go. Just keep plugging away at it.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Sad

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

I am open to reasonable offers on the car and can work out a deal with anybody from this forum
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

...just out of curiosity, which would be some appropriate engine conversions for 411/412 cars?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Abelclasico wrote:
...just out of curiosity, which would be some appropriate engine conversions for 411/412 cars?

I have seen very few engine swaps...only a couple of Porsche 911 6cyl conversios, the one below is called "The Nordstadt Express".

If you are looking for a moderate hp increase say up to 120 reliable hp a 2.0 to 2.2 Type 4 engine build would be the easiest way.
The Porsche 914 2.0 had as stock 100hp (euro spec) and is basically the same engine core as what you have...even the D-jet is wery close...that engine will, with minor mods, "drop right in".

Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

As for engine mods....You need to drive one of these cars first....with the stock engine....in correct tune.

This was a 2300 lb car in wagon form. About 2200 bs in two door coupe form.

The top end on both ...the coupe with the four speed and the wagon with automatic (us equipment)....was about 96 mph. I have done that in mine.

That makes it top end....the fastest stock aircooled "VW" built. The automatic will do the same top end but is a little slower off the line and about as fast 45-65 times. The automatic has the final drive to match the 4 speed manual. A quick mod is to put in a bus 010 torque converter to allow spinning up the engine into a better torque range off the line.

The 0-60 times....well the book says about 12-13 seconds. But...just with better fuel tuning and ignition on the 1.7L after you drop the head gasket and shim to get it to 8.4:1....you can easily get that to 10 seconds 0-60. Been there.

Put in a better cam, do a little more fuel tuning and massaging of the exhaust....with the 4 speed (I have not driven an auto in this spec)...you can easily do 8-9 seconds 0-60. Thats with the 1.7L....and a max of 100hp (which can be done)....an average of 90-93 hp.

With the light weight and the final drive gearing these cars had .....which is actually better than the 914....if you can get an honest 100hp....these cars can easily keep up with Golf and Jetta mk1 and 2.

As I noted...it can be reliably done with D-jet. I have done 102hp with a 1.7L. The gist is that thats a lot of tuning and tweaks.

If you are not stuck on D-jet....you can do it more easily by keeping he stock runners, plenum, TB...and using aftermarket injection system.

Or...keeping the same lower end and the same "tuning it out" frame of mind....put in a high compression 1.8L. Have the heads done by Len at HAM INC....with the 914 plug angle, 42 x 36 valves, aftermarket injection...stock distributor with black box.....and to be dead simple you could install a Vintage speed muffler....and there is no reason you will cannot hit 100-105hp with proper tuning.

Even with the automatic....with a decent torque converter ....there is no reason this could not be a quick car at nearly modern equivalent to a mid-size modern four cylinder.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. The reason I am asking is that, seeing the amount of space in the front and back of the car, it would be the ideal candidate for an electric conversion. Just wondering if that has been done before.
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Moving forward, or rather backward, I repaired some small rust spots on the rear hatch. Instead of welding small patches, I thought it would be better to just cut an entire section and repair it all together.

Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

Nice going and, I think you are right, best to weld in an entire new section. Even though it's more work, that way you are going to have a better result. Mine looks like that (the 'before' picture that is).
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

New reduced price
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2457929
Willing to negotiate as I need to free up some space by the end of July,
thanks,
Abel
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Restauration of 71 411 wagon Reply with quote

I am now selling the last 411 bits that I have, in case anybody missed them on the classifieds section
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2478143
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2478144

thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: