Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Hello,
Our 76 came with the Westy interior but missing the swing-out table leg and table in the rear. After 12 months, we finally stumbled upon a genuine Westy swing-out table leg and bracket. I made my own table-top and excitedly fitted the new leg and table. Everything worked great.
Imagine my 'horror' when we went to make the bed for the first time and realized that the table leg has to be removed to allow the bed to fully unfold -what! At first I thought maybe we had the wrong leg - but, no, it's correct. I find it somewhat stunning that the designers would be OK with that. Where are you supposed to put the table on a rainy night, in a cramped camper, with the bed down? I 100% expected the bed to 'just miss' the table leg on fold out.
Seems a very strange design but does explain the amount of buses for sale with missing legs/tables. If no workaround, I can definitely see me removing the table and leg and leaving it at home. Any fixes other than hacking away at the seat bench corner?
Thanks.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Yep. Same on my '78. Also a reason I don't take the table on many camping trips, unless weather predictions make it appear that we'll want to eat inside the Bus.

You're right-- that does seem like an odd oversight by the Germans.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Yep. Same on my '78. Also a reason I don't take the table on many camping trips, unless weather predictions make it appear that we'll want to eat inside the Bus.

You're right-- that does seem like an odd oversight by the Germans.

Thanks. If I knew, I'd probably been less enthusiastic on my search for a leg. Smile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

It is nice to have from time to time. Like if camping and it might be rainy or is cold. Or working from home and your wife is also working from home and you have a small space and you can't have her overhear things because you're a therapist working over Zoom... Ha ha

But, yes, you do have to be somewhat creative on moving things around if it's rainy and the Bus is full. Sometimes I'll stash it under the Bus to get it out of the way.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

77 Westy here. For some reason, my bed fully lowers with the leg in place but it puts a bit of stress on it that I don't like. Back pressure on my seat mounts and a pressure on the kitchen block.

Someone here had a table leg adapter that slid into the jack point mount that I thought was neat as the table outside is an appealing option. Not sure if it is an after market production piece or a one off but Id like that piece at some point.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
77 Westy here. For some reason, my bed fully lowers with the leg in place but it puts a bit of stress on it that I don't like. Back pressure on my seat mounts and a pressure on the kitchen block.

Someone here had a table leg adapter that slid into the jack point mount that I thought was neat as the table outside is an appealing option. Not sure if it is an after market production piece or a one off but Id like that piece at some point.

Hated that F’ing table in the 76. That’s why I like the flip up table in my 72 so much. And my 85 Vanagon Weekender. It flips and and down. No need for setting up and storing.
Perhaps I missed something on proper table set up and storage with the 76. Doesn’t matter now, I sold the bus to a friend. I do have that table leg gimmick that fits into the jack point. Meh, for me. But I love the idea for others and it works great. Did “Ez Gruv” make those awhile back? I’ll be selling that one of these days. Another reason why I like the 72. The little spice rack table flips up and gives you an outside cooking station. Most people hate early bay camp interior lay out. It’s my favorite.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

I have an outside-the-Bus table leg set up. For some reason, I seem to believe it was a prototype. I would have bought it from someone on the old Buskatiers listserve in the early 2000s. I've used it a few times in the Bus, and also adapted it to work in a boat we had. It's kind of neat to have.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

My expectations were heightened because we had a 1982 Vanagon with a similar swing table. I dont recall removing the table to make the bed in that camper. Though that was some 30 yrs ago. Smile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Yes, I think the Germans realized and corrected the one design flaw in the Late Bay Westy layout when they designed the Vanagon Westys. Very Happy

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

my '79 has the same table. it's a big table, even without using the leaf.

even when you are not folding out the bed, it is always in the way. constantly having to move it to get into the icebox, sit in the back seat, access storage locker, side closet, etc.

it, however, really ties the room together.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Yes!! EZ Gruv. It’s the coolest thing going for that stupid table.

EZ Gruv wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=576723

<Patent Pending>

No need to reinvent the wheel...and using your jack to level the bus while camping is crazy.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

I moved the mount and leg to the front - behind the passenger seat so it can be used when the seat is turned, plus swing outside, and now the bed can go down without removing it.

To be honest though, I still find it to be more of a pain than I think it's worth. I may end up removing it completely.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Put a late model table setup in Crusher (76), even though it will have the early model westy interior and the flip up table against the wall. Can never have enough table space when camping, (or living in, as my daughter will be doing).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was just the mock up. The floor is now repaired.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

^^ Yes, that is where I moved mine to, but kept the original height so I could use it when the passenger seat rotates. Problem is that it's a bit high when swung outside and in the way. I have a small folding table I use outside so honestly I don't find this set up all that great.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382

Last edited by Globespotter on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

BusterBrown wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

vw76westy wrote:

i fixed that problem by removing the staples & pulling the seat covers back
getting a clear access to the wood on seat,
then using a hole saw i cut a notch in the wood,(you can also use a jig saw to do this )
restapled covers,you cant tell or feel that there is a notch in the wood
to accomadate table leg

& now when i extend out the bed
the covers & foam get pushed in a little but no need to remove table leg Cool Cool

note: do not cut the foam,notch just the wood & only the 2 inches or so needed for the table leg

as a matter of fact, if you look closly at the pics i posted you can see
the covers indented alittle in that spot

Here you go! Thanks to vw76westy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

How about that! I was thinking of this yesterday after commenting on the thread.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Here you go! Thanks to vw76westy

Interesting. I just have to get around the sacrilege of carving up my Westy bed. For sure, it is a remedy though. Thanks!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

brilliant idea!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

I use the OG table and have a outside table as well.
I stash the big table in the driver seat area at night.
The outside table is mounted on my homemade jump seat.

Just a regular guy
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you have to remove the Westy table leg to use the bed? Reply with quote

Damn German engineers! They all think tables are for sitting at and beds are for laying down in! what a bunch of idiots! Go figure. Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: