Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

This is something Ive been thinking about for a few months based on some engineering and fan design research papers I came across awhile back.

One of them here:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijrm/2011/537824/

Another one here:

http://www.j-mst.org/on_line/admin/files/13-j2010-689_2267-2276_.pdf

In addition to seeing the obvious improvements on the type 1 engine with a venturi, as well as Porsche, I thought I would try and see what I could do on the Type 4 engine.

The type 4 fan has somewhat of a venturi built into the design of the fan and pulley itself. Not much of one, but there is something. Ive also talked with a few others who have looked into different fan designs, running the fan at higher RPMs etc. A lot of $$$ work and not much measured benefit.

So I got to thinking of how I could make something relatively cheap that could possibly help increase the efficiency of the fan we all have and are stuck with.

Here is what myself (and a yet to be named vendor) have come up with (keep in mind this is the very first rough prototype):

The ring is more centered than it looks in this pic...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is shown mounted (obviously) on a little fitment rig off of my bus. What I am thinking for future revisions is incorporating a stainless steel mesh over the intake, possibly reducing the outer radius so one can still check timing, and revising the mounting tabs a little bit. Maybe get it made out of clear plastic?

I will be testing in the next couple of weeks...Moving the ring closer and further away from the fan and measuring differences.

Mainly for right now I will be measuring oil temps on a fixed driving loop with recorded ambients, etc. No ring, ring, different spacing of the ring, etc.

I am welcome to any (constructive) feedback anyone has regarding design or improvements that they would like to see on further revisions.

And for the record before anyone jumps down my throat and says this is stupid and VW was smart, its not going to do anything, etc...Just keep it to yourself. I dont really care. There is basically no money tied up in this, and I like doing it.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

^damn right! have fun, and enjoy the scientific method. Data makes me hard, too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

It may or may not improve.....but it will change. This will be interesting!

I know from testing there is a noticable amount of change when you change the position of the fan inward or outward relative to the shroud. Whether the operative change was opening or closing up of the gap in front or rear between fan and shroud or the position of the blades relative to the opening for air to enter the shroud....or changing the entry angle of the air to the fan.....I dont know. It was back in 1999.

A couple of things to wrap your head around just to think about.
One of the biggest air velocity increasers on these fans.....is the flat floor. At that contacts the floor surface is accelerated and slung toward the fins by centricugal force. So if one were wanting to increase that effect.....you might have a venturi dumping toward the center.

On the other hand.....that same effect may cause further air entry issues.....so it may help to have the air rounding the edge of the venturi, changing angle and entering the blades in a more straight on fashion.

This will be interesting if nothing else!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

were it me, I'd be sure it fits the bottom tin, and I would add a dome on the floor of the fan. Just make sure it can't come loose, welds breaks etc and sling into the fins. Venturi rings do increase flow by reducing turbulence.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
were it me, I'd be sure it fits the bottom tin, and I would add a dome on the floor of the fan. Just make sure it can't come loose, welds breaks etc and sling into the fins. Venturi rings do increase flow by reducing turbulence.

A dome for the fan is also in my thoughts. I spent a little bit of time with some free 3D modeling software to try and design one, and walked away pretty frustrated.

Maybe someone else here wants to take on that job? I dont see a great place to securely attach the cone though. You could make it so the fan hub bolts go through the bottom plate of the cone possibly. But then it would need to be made out of metal. Plastic would be too weak.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

Have you tried a type I venturi ring?

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

They reduce ENTRY turbulence. It will remain to be seen whether the distance from the venturi to the vanes after the air traverses the venturi whether it then causes any turbulence. I hope it works.

A dome would also be interesting. If you take a look at header spikes where the four pipes join...and think of that in reverse for this.....how far it protrudes outward through the ring could either restrict or accelerate the incoming air.

But....a dome would also give surface area to the flat floor of the fan....which is more spinning surface to accelerate he air. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:

They reduce ENTRY turbulence. It will remain to be seen whether the distance from the venturi to the vanes after the air traverses the venturi whether it then causes any turbulence. I hope it works.

A dome would also be interesting. If you take a look at header spikes where the four pipes join...and think of that in reverse for this.....how far it protrudes outward through the ring could either restrict or accelerate the incoming air.

But....a dome would also give surface area to the flat floor of the fan....which is more spinning surface to accelerate he air. Ray

I worked very closely Ray with a mentor who flowed winning formula and Indy heads for a living. Unless the inlet area is reduced or restricted, the venturi ring will reduce turbulence. VW already made the equal of a ring on the lower 1/3 of the bus tin. The question is whether adding one on the top will restrict the area or improve it. The engine door is not far away and reducing that area may make things worse. I don't know.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

Nice.

Love this kind of stuff.

I'd question the viability of using oil temp to measure success.
Oil temp unfortunately only has a sort of tangential relationship to head temps..
Perhaps you could install a CHT (or four? Smile ) ?

You might see differences between cylinders WRT cooling..?
It's known that the factory fan setup does favor some cylinders over tohers.

If no CHT, then an IR temp gun, used in a controlled manner would certainly help.

While not exactly related to the subject at hand,
Ever see this? -->
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=63829

What’s That Noise?!?
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Nice.

Love this kind of stuff.

I'd question the viability of using oil temp to measure success.
Oil temp unfortunately only has a sort of tangential relationship to head temps..
Perhaps you could install a CHT (or four? Smile ) ?

You might see differences between cylinders WRT cooling..?
It's known that the factory fan setup does favor some cylinders over tohers.

If no CHT, then an IR temp gun, used in a controlled manner would certainly help.

While not exactly related to the subject at hand,
Ever see this? -->
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=63829

I have a CHT on #3.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

Ok. Here is the ring finally installed in my bus:

Good clearance all the way around and not close to the belt or anything else. Im going to take some progressively longer shakedown runs just to make sure everything is good to go before doing some comparison testing.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

is the dome at the center of the fan off balance/center? looks like it in the pics. sorry if it was addressed elsewhere on the page..
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

It certainly looks pretty! I may have missed it but how do you plan on measuring performance differences? It seems like you'd need to have the fan housing off with the fan attached to an electric motor with some sort of cfm measuring tool on the outlets in order to measure the differences reliably.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

make room for a timing scale in the next one. Looks good. I'd expect a 3% to 5% increase in CFM - just a gut feeling.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

@RalphWiggam any updates on this project? Smile
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
@RalphWiggam any updates on this project? Smile

Good point. Haven't been driving the bus much lately because I'm working from home and it has been raining almost everyday.

I'll try and toss it on this weekend and get some long highway runs in. Should be plenty hot these days to see if it makes a difference. I'll collect some data
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

Update on this...Im all ready to collect some data, but a key piece just decided to flake out on me....my VDO CHT gauge.

I still have my oil temp guage, but I feel like I need a working accurate CHT gauge to know if this venturi ring provides any benefit.

It appears to be the gauge itself and not the sender or the wire so Im going to see what I can do to find some thing else.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

If you can wait a few weeks for me to get home, I’ll donate my Dakota Digital CHT gauge to the cause.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

I wonder if you could sub an Ohm meter in place of the gauge for now?, the readings will likely not make much sense, but you'd have a baseline to see if they change with the ring installed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Prototype Venturi Ring Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder if you could sub an Ohm meter in place of the gauge for now?, the readings will likely not make much sense, but you'd have a baseline to see if they change with the ring installed.

probably a sensitive volt meter since the signal is voltage from a bi-metal sender. One will notice that the head temp reads even after the engine is switched off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: