Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep an eye on your catalytic converter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I did have a scrapper tell me the Vanagon cat wasn't worth anything more than regular steel.

Exactly.

They have a hit list of what is wanted. A Vanagon is not on that list.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
That the thief was willing to travel to some remote parking lot on a remote mountainside and crawl around in the snow to get at it demonstrates the level of desperation some will go to.

I don't think it's desperate at all. It's smart because there's way less chance of being caught.

I don't know of any cat thefts where I live but I worry about theft in general whenever I'm camping. My typical weekend consists of driving to some primitive camp spot then leaving to hike/bike for the day. Anyone can break into my van in seconds.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

There is quite a bit less media in the vanagon cats, probably more worth the effort to focus on other makes/models.
I have heard a few prius driving by with open exhaust due to cat theft.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
There is quite a bit less media in the vanagon cats, probably more worth the effort to focus on other makes/models.
I have heard a few prius driving by with open exhaust due to cat theft.

"Hearing a Prius" is kind off an oxymoron.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Vanagon cats are worth $20 to scrappers. They have bigger fish to fry.
travelteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Went to start mine up today after not driving for a couple weeks. We have a big camp trip scheduled to leave early tomorrow morning. The catalytic converter was cut out. 🤬🤬🤬 Yep, I’m told it’s worth about $20 in recycling. They cut the O2 sensor wire as well.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
An easy target is all they need, so although I haven't heard of any Vanagons being hit, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

They tried to get mine at our old place. They did succeed in getting the one from the Honda Pilot next door and when I checked mine I found Sawzall tracks but the converter was still there. I did have to have that slice welded up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

I wonder what role this rear brush protection cage at GoWesty could have in a setup to discourage these:

This article is from here: https://www.gowesty.com/product/bumpers-body-protection/24991/rear-brush-guard-for-syncro?v=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

campism wrote:
CanStan wrote:
An easy target is all they need, so although I haven't heard of any Vanagons being hit, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

They tried to get mine at our old place. They did succeed in getting the one from the Honda Pilot next door and when I checked mine I found Sawzall tracks but the converter was still there. I did have to have that slice welded up.

So obviously the scenario exists that they were scared away while cutting out the cat. However, I prefer to believe in the far more hilarious scenario that they were cutting the cat out and then decided, "Nah, this POS isn't worth a second cut. Let's get out of here."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Pipe is easy to cut. When they got to the flange side, it isn’t so easy, so they bailed.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

If I catch one of these #uckers doing this to my westy they would be missing some important fingers that sawall is amazing at cutting flesh to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

and you'll spend more time in jail and bail than the offending criminal.
not to mention legal fee$$$$
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and you'll spend more time in jail and bail than the offending criminal.
not to mention legal fee$$$$

I feel this pain a lot. But realize you cant physically injurse someone to retaliate against a theft.
It's been a cat and mouse game much of my life. Seems the bad guys/thiefs are always meth users.
They've been trying to steal non ferrous metal car parts, copper house plumbing, copper house wire most of my life.
Pretty much least competent criminals, tho.
One guy broke into my little shop and took the crankcase to my brother's 1967 911. Numbers matching.
I put out t reward of $200 and made special effort to show the newspaper print ad to the yokel that I thought did it. Sure enough, he found it. got his $200.
Then bragged up his good fortune to some buddies. Who I also gave a reward to. And got the perp 5 years for 2nd offense. And got restitution. While I was out at the metal salvage place looking for more of my parts, I also bought a perfect early split case VW tranny By the pound, I think about $20.
Scrap yard owner says he realizes half the stuff is stolen. Great business model, huh?
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

We live in a really low crime neighborhood of dense residential housing, and yet we've had two cat thefts from Gen2 Prius within a block of us. One happened literally right in front of our house. I ended up replacing that cat and installing a shield. It was a precision heist that must've only taken a minute at most.

The shield rivets in place, so it probably is your best defense against all but the most determined thieves.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
We live in a really low crime neighborhood of dense residential housing, and yet we've had two cat thefts from Gen2 Prius within a block of us. One happened literally right in front of our house. I ended up replacing that cat and installing a shield. It was a precision heist that must've only taken a minute at most.

The shield rivets in place, so it probably is your best defense against all but the most determined thieves.

Just before we sold our Condo in Lacey (2 miles from Zeigeist) last month they took a couple cats from our neighborhood. The neighborhood bulletin didn’t specify type of cars.

Last week in my work parking lot my co worker had his ripped off his 05 Prius. During business hours and parked right in front of the business albeit 50 yards away. They even took time to cut a 2x4 to chock the tires. The poor kid just bought the car a week earlier and had planned on getting at Cat Cage installed. If you could see my parking lot you’d realize how bold these thieves are. Just crazy.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Hence why they need to "fall" on the sawsall during there attempted escape, and injure or kill themselves

on the same vain as, the child raper, that falls down the stairs and breaks his neck, at the one level police station, no need for an expensive trial now, just a cheap body bag.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Link

It’s actually sad. I think I’m more pissed at the people who buy the metal knowing it’s been stolen, creating a market for this sort of thing.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

Link

This is a big issue in many countries. Geez.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

As maddeningly annoying as this kind of thing is, I don't think it warrants the death penalty. All things in perspective.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep an eye on your catalytic converter Reply with quote

It’s rare that I have wished a car jack to fail on someone before.

Interesting, the first clip asserts these cats head to China due to new strict regulations there. .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: