Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
David Raistrick wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

As with the Celebrity, not much need for high performance pads on an old bus.

no, but having a performance market means you have more options when you find you need to adjust your front/rear brake balance (as I experienced with fully functional stock rear brakes locking up long before the fronts would, when cold or wet) by changing compounds. Being able to looking at dyno charts for brake pads and choose a pad change based on the charts is really helpful. It's still trial and error, but it helps!

Wouldn't it be better to install an adjustable proportioning valve?

assuming that the fronts DO lock up eventually, maybe a wider tire in the rear would maximize the braking performance? practically guarantees that your rears never lock up before the fronts do.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Drove it around Hickam and Ford Island, O’ahu, doing a little shakedown.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Front disc Brakes on the '66 Singlecab, kit from Brian @ Type E Motorsports, all said & done $1,225, installed, VERY happy w/ them !!

<'63 Sad I'd like to do that to my '62 at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
crukab wrote:
Front disc Brakes on the '66 Singlecab, kit from Brian @ Type E Motorsports, all said & done $1,225, installed, VERY happy w/ them !!

<'63 Sad I'd like to do that to my '62 at some point.

Spindle sawp.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
David Raistrick wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

As with the Celebrity, not much need for high performance pads on an old bus.

no, but having a performance market means you have more options when you find you need to adjust your front/rear brake balance (as I experienced with fully functional stock rear brakes locking up long before the fronts would, when cold or wet) by changing compounds. Being able to looking at dyno charts for brake pads and choose a pad change based on the charts is really helpful. It's still trial and error, but it helps!

Wouldn't it be better to install an adjustable proportioning valve?

not always - you have to balance the grip at different temperatures, not just the pressures. in my case, if I'd use a proportioning valve, I'd have had to virtually eliminate all rear brake pressure, and ended up heavy in the front when the pads were hot, and would have still had no effective brakes when they were cold and wet..... the issue was really with the pad compound (which I could tell immediately when I looked at the brake dyno graphs for the compound and compared it to other options)
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

two days ago I replaced my pedestal mats and front floor mat with new WW rubber. and slathered the remains of the metal under both with some POR15 as a stopgap until I get around to metal replacement.....
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Did a shakedown around Pearl and replaced the fuel petcock, as the seals had failed almost stranding me on the road. Checked dizzy points and adjusted carb.

Also made a list of things to do down the road: re-center steering wheel, check transaxle fluid levels, bleed and adjust brakes (as needed), replace exterior door handles, and a few other minor gremlins. All in all, fun to drive and see the locals light up seeing one of the Primo trucks still cruising…

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Picked a fine day to drive cross country! Rolling Eyes

But then…

David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

fuel line hardline complete - tank outlet to bulkhead, to filter.

new axle boots on - the febi split boots are still made in germany and still branded volkswagen. of course, one of them only had 3 of the 6 screws....

reinstalled the engine, adjusted the valves while it was out - after 6 years, looks like my silicone valve cover gaskets are leaking (dont know WHEN they started, since it's been off the road since 5/2018).

removed the butty's bits throttle cable pulley - it didn't make anything better. on _my_ bus there was no position that it didn't either hit the trans or cause the cable to drag on the top of the tube. so slid my 25 year old piece of hose back over the cable.

and had to remove the throttle pedal shaft boot. it caused too much binding with the butty's bits throttle linkage and the throttle wouldn't close all the way. I might try installing it upside down. (or maybe upside down is the right way?)

but then came the fun: some blind money wandered into the shop and hooked up one of the only 4 wires connected to the engine wrong. put the switched 12v on the wrong side of the coil. then tried to start it.

yeah, one very smoke-released pertronix dead.

so swapped on my spare dist I carry around - which is an svda, which doesnt work great with an h30/31, but it was there....and of course, it doesnt time the same. so 7.5btdc, and while I was setting it static I managed to fire one of the cylinders as I was rotating it around. That was a bit freaky.

then a few more cranks of the key and.....all stop. no power.

#$%#@$%@#$%#$ brand new bosch s6 AGM battery went from 12.7v to 6v. (had the timing light with volt meter attached).

filed a report with the seller - rockauto - and of course their software rejects it. "Since the part was not intended to be installed on the vehicle you purchased it for, we cannot accept a return of the part."

sigh. now I remember why I hate rockauto. it's been >10 years since my last order.....and yeah.

we'll see what a paypal dispute has to say. or I'll have to chase bosch's warranty more directly (which I'm sure will redirect to the retailer...)

with that I gave up. Ordered a spare 205T distr, and a new pertronix. and a new fan belt while I was in there.

Gonna have to find yet another new battery. I'll probably put this tiny tractor battery I have sitting here from the new tractor (switched to AGM immediately) for the meantime.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Been buying from Rock Auto for over a decade, with zero issues that weren't my fault (fat finger ordering). But I only go to them for stuff that isn't readily available locally, or there happens to be a huge cost savings.

I can't imagine buying a car battery online, when I can just go to the FLAPS down the street. But that battery should not have given up so easily. No chance of charging it back up? You may have tried, but didn't mention it.

On another note, the best axle boots most of us have found are the EMPI brand accordion boots. They look different (Kustom Kolors!), but they hold up. Unless something has changed, the German FEBI boots will probably split in short order.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
But that battery should not have given up so easily. No chance of charging it back up? You may have tried, but didn't mention it.

I charged it overnight - up to 12.0v. applied key (dash lights, pertronix) and....voltage dropped to 2v. It's roached.

cdennisg wrote:

On another note, the best axle boots most of us have found are the EMPI brand accordion boots. They look different (Kustom Kolors!), but they hold up. Unless something has changed, the German FEBI boots will probably split in short order.

Huh. I guess things change - I used to use the empi colored boots, but would only get a year or so out of them. but that was <2001.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
But that battery should not have given up so easily. No chance of charging it back up? You may have tried, but didn't mention it.

I charged it overnight - up to 12.0v. applied key (dash lights, pertronix) and....voltage dropped to 2v. It's roached.

cdennisg wrote:

Huh. I guess things change - I used to use the empi colored boots, but would only get a year or so out of them. but that was <2001.

Yep, that battery is done for. Probably faulty from day 1.

I use the black EMPI boots, and have great luck with them over the last 15-20 years or so. Don't have any rolling right now (no swing axle cars currently) but if and when I need to replace boots again, I will use the EMPI stuff for this application. The same can't be said for just about anything else they produce/sell.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I use the black EMPI boots, and have great luck with them over the last 15-20 years or so. Don't have any rolling right now (no swing axle cars currently) but if and when I need to replace boots again, I will use the EMPI stuff for this application. The same can't be said for just about anything else they produce/sell.

thanks for the heads up - and yeah, empi parts are more miss than hit. I think the last pair of empi swing axle boots I bough had to have been from NOPI....

in other news:

started installing a replacement turn signal switch. I gave up on ever finding one with a silver beige knob...so black it is. amusing, they didn't even bother to chrome the arm. This one's an EIS part.

While I'm in there - I realized it's a perfect time to continue my 12v conversion and swap my home-made baywindow conversion (69 bay flasher switch, 69 bay module, custom interface harness, 66 knob) for the original flasher switch and WW 12v module. Took me an hour to find the switch, I haven't seen it since probably '99. But I did find the original wiper switch, wiper harness, and knob while I was at it. Switch is frozen, so I'll have to get a new one. And some day install the NOS 12v 66 wiper motor.

Pulled the steering wheel, then removed the original frozen column lock - I reinstalled it after the brazil column lock seized and I installed an EMPI regular switch. Sad Ordered a non-locking-column support ring, since I never had one so that'll go on when it goes back together. Installed the column-to-floor seal that I've had for like 20+ years that I never got around to installing.

oh - and did get it started with the SVDA and the tiny group 51 tractor battery. (it actually clamps half decent under the strap). AFTER I realized I had the fuel pump hooked up backwards, of course.

oh and: my oil pressure switch is bad. fiddle with it, and it'll ground sometimes. the fact that the spade moves is a good sign it's dead. BUT....grounding the wire still doesn't trigger the OP light. So whatever is causing it to be intermittent isn't just the switch. Sigh.

Discovered these last night - where have they been all my life?!? Being able to hook up heater hoses without burning them up on headers! (and not having to fab my own, which has been on my todo list for years)

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/heater-hose-fitting-csp-255-165-csp-27591a.html
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

and bosch's warranty department is denying the claim because rockauto is not authorized to sell their products. This is known to Bosch, and they're aware that RA claims otherwise. Oh yay. So moral of the story: Don't buy from RockAuto. 3 orders in the last 11 years, 100% of them have been miserable failures. (I waited 10 years between the 1st and 2nd... and the 2nd only cost me $10 in wrong parts, which they actually DID refund once I proved they'd listed the fit incorrectly).
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

today -

finished wiring up the stock turn signal/flasher relay/flasher switch (with 12v WW flasher relay) to replace my 1998 version using baywindow parts. and replacing my stock turn signal switch with one that appears to be from EIS. first time in a really long time that I've had the stock switch in place! EIS switch needed some wires shortened, some wires longer... by all appearances it seems to be the same switch that WW and everyone else sells for the 66.

installed my bad wiper switch (need to find a good one) in it's hole, too, since it's the ground point for the high beam switch. Still need to find something magic to fill in the old mower ignition switch hole that's been wearing the baywindow flasher switch.....

installed a pair of CSP heater hose hook up pipes - hard stainless steel running past the headers (..well, vintagespeed), then transitioning to stock paper tubes.

and reinstalled my 205T distributor with a new un-roached pertronix. haven't fired it back up yet.

David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
Andrew wrote:
David Raistrick wrote:
Fabed a new metal fuel line to go through the bulkhead fitting. I never got around to this when I first did it....it's there now!

I like this idea a LOT. I think I might have to do this... Think

Bob Hoover's idea.

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/vw-tulz-part-six.html

Search for "bulkhead" about halfway down the page. (bob, thanks for putting the sermons back online!)

Following up on this post from 2008 - in recent weeks I redid this. it was still rubber line from the stock straight-down tank outlet, around the starter to join the metal line. Less rubber, but still means a motor drop to replace it sanely.

Now it's a hard line from the tank, through the firewall, to a shutoff valve, then serviceable soft line (that might change to hard line, but the valve I like has a nipple), and replaceable element fuel filter.

This is made up of

6mm brake line (PVF coated from the FLAPS - old piece lasted from 08 to '21, including a fire, in perfect health)

6mm compression fitting - Compression Fitting for Steel Tubing Straight Connector for 6mm Tube OD 5269K291 https://www.mcmaster.com/5269K291/

Empi Vw Type 1 Bug, Ghia, Gas Tank Outlet Pipe Kit With Strainer 95-2006 - this is 5.9mm. have to cut the flare off.

Motorcycle Gas Tank Petcock - 1/4" NPT Zinc Plated Petcock for 1/4" Fuel Line https://www.ebay.com/itm/172277225418 - I picked this version because of the easy open/close action (and it's "down" "to the rear" to open, so it doesnt vibrate closed). it's similar to the one I've used since '98 that was just fit to sections of rubber line. A lot of valves are pretty damn stiff.

Compression Fitting for Steel Tubing Straight Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPTF Female 52215K425 https://www.mcmaster.com/52215K425/

The 1/4 fitting worked fine on the 6mm tube (couldn't find a 1/4 NPT to 6mm..), and I probably could have used it for the tap to line. The 6mm fittings would NOT work with 1/4" brake line.

The bulkhead fitting is just a piece of threaded lamp rod, nuts, washers.

The filter assembly is a ACDelco/GM GF62 that uses FG157 filters. it's mounted as low as it will go and still be able to remove the can/filter without dumping fuel out. Add a couple of 1/4 NPT barbed fittings to taste and a quick bracket. (it's actually bolted w nylocks - the screws were for positioning. It took me a long time to find a filter assembly that flowed in the direction I wanted, had replaceable filters, npt in/out, and wasn't made of plastic. I might have settled for a glass bowl (I'd definitely prefer it to be visible). I haven't actually run it with this yet - it doesn't gravity feed well with only 2 gallons of fuel in it, but I'll let you know in the next few days if the stock-style pump adequately sucks fuel.... (it should. they pull from the tank's in beetles after all!).

NOTE that this pictured line assembly is NOT correct, this was the failed version - it didn't clear the starter when it was bolted up. The new version has to swing forward first.

iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Put the side gate up and returned the fence posts to my friend, then dropped off the light to be recycled. It ran strong as usual and got a lot of "thumbs up" and honks by car/trucks passing me.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

'65's rear brakes were needing attention. Cleanup and new slaves.

Drums were ok to scuff.

New shoes come smaller than 250mm diameter (9.84") so arcing is necessary to get full shoe contact.

No one local does arcing any more so I do them myself by placing 1/2 diameter of drum with sandpaper.

Hand sanding goes fast.

Shoes all done ready to finish assembly. My drums are both turned oversize.

Here is the fit after hand arcing.

All back together with the lining a little thinner in the centers.

Because my drums are turned extreme far the e-brake adjustment follows suit.

New hoses too today with bleed tomorrow.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
New shoes come smaller than 250mm diameter (9.84") so arcing is necessary to get full shoe contact.

No one local does arcing any more so I do them myself by placing 1/2 diameter of drum with sandpaper.

man I feel lazy after seeing that - I've never even thought to check it. Might have to pull my drums back off and check since I haven't gotten them on the road yet.

TIL.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thats cool BarryL.

David Raistrick wrote:
BarryL wrote:

man I feel lazy after seeing that - I've never even thought to check it. Might have to pull my drums back off and check since I haven't gotten them on the road yet.

TIL.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 657 of 680

Jump to: