Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

bajabones wrote:

I say you sell your rig & buy a syncro now
You are wasting time trying to convert
You can spend that time on your new syncro,
make it a 3 knob, motor swap, wheels, rear disk brakes and so on
you get tired of it sell it

The (rust free, carefully modded, mostly original paint, well-loved, 2nd owner, low-miles) devil you know is often better than the devil you don't. Dumping my van and purchasing a syncro could be considered a rational conclusion, but I'm not convinced that it would be cheaper or less time consuming than modifying what I have (assumes that I'm not doing the swap myself). A Syncro full-camper in good shape is ~$45k, even with an original engine, and I doubt I'd get $30k for a 1.9L even as sweet as it may be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

I forsee the syncro market dividing. People will demand born syncros once the value starts to take off, not a conversion.

Just look at the muscle car and vintage Corvette market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

The question is what do you want? Love doesn't deal with evidence and facts. I just whacked a huge hole in the engine deck because I wanted to. I'm about to put a power window in the DS rear fixed window spot. I'm about to cut the roof out of my tin top from the B pillar all the way back to the AC evaporator unit with little plans of what to do next. No high top or pop top.

Because I want to.

A Syncro, if in demand will bring a good price whether it is grey market for not. If certified by a reliable mechanic, that's all the next owner needs to know. The next owner has only one question. Can I realize my dreams in this vehicle or not?

Go for it.

Duncan
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
My confusion. Thought the goal was to convert a 2wd to syncro drivetrain in steps starting with the transaxle. I’m out. Arrow

That was the exact thinking: I know I want to make some upgrades, but would like to manage the risk of putting money into a path that might dead end (specifically, improvements to a 2wd drivetrain that might get replaced with a 4wd drive one).

If vanagons, as a platform, weren't so long in the tooth I'd 100% invest in a full conversion (I love my van), but I'm reticent to put $20-40k (drivetrain + engine) into something that already suffers from certain parts being unavailable, and from generally being a nearly 40yo vehicle. I'd rather go partway and see how it feels, then only continue farther down the path if necessary (meanwhile biding my time with fingers crossed for something modern that meets my space + functionality constraints to come onto the market - An ID Buzz pop top with 400mi of range would do nicely...).

Without a complete syncro donor, I don't see it happening. I could not believe how many unique parts were used from the donor. Also paying a shop to do the conversion when you have a donor is a $10K to $20K project just in labor.

Also, its easy to start a project. It's getting a project across the finish line that is the challenge. Knowing how projects go, I was not brave enough to convert our fully sorted 82 camper. I opted to purchase another non running camper for the project. This way, if life got in the way, we could still go camping.

Well, I got it across the finish line and now we own 2 campers. The syncro has no character compared to our 82. So, I should have been brave enough to chop up our 82.

I think other than the syncro fever, some type of differential other than the stock open differential in your 4 speed, some knobby tires, and maybe a lift and you'd be plenty good for many trails.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I forsee the syncro market dividing. People will demand born syncros once the value starts to take off, not a conversion.

Of course. And a completely stock minty fresh low mileage version of ANY Vanagon model will command a premium over any modded version, even if the mods are nice.

That is one thing my van has going for it. The body is trash so I have no worries about messing up the value. Anything I do is an improvement over where it was!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

But who actually drives those collector cars much less off road?

If I wanted the capability of a syncro I'd be fine with a conversion. I'd want to use it, not look at it (OK I'd do that too).

But as Mark said, a lifted 2wd with knobby AT tires and a Peloquin will get you many places. And that is the route I am taking with my West Coast Westy.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

That's what I've been saying. Might be more cost effective to start with a better engine and some other prerunner type upgrades before dumping $yncro money into the project. With a 2wd you can upgrade to a much more powerful engine without worrying about trashing an expensive Syncro transmission (still waiting for someone with deep pockets to finance a new Syncro transaxle Pray ).
With a 2wd setup you can always upgrade to a 5 speed Subaru transmission.

The main difference I found with all season driving and forest service roads is the Syncro handles snow/ice/rain MUCH better than 2wd and of course can get itself out of tough spots better, but the 2wd Vanagon is pretty capable.
The Syncro AWD is great for all weather travels and will handle really bad roads, but you have to weigh the costs.

I love my Syncro, and will never go back to 2wd, but I also have a lot of money invested into mine (and I bought it fairly cheap). It's now to the point where I worry about leaving it at trailheads overnight and keep a close eye on it all the time.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

The main difference I found with all season driving and forest service roads is the Syncro handles snow/ice/rain MUCH better than 2wd and of course can get itself out of tough spots better, but the 2wd Vanagon is pretty capable.
The Syncro AWD is great for all weather travels and will handle really bad roads, but you have to weigh the costs.

I will say that adding a Peloquin to a 2wd makes the snow issue amazingly better unless it is really deep. Gravel and sand too. Not as good as a syncro of course but way better than the open diff stock trans.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

Looks like Go Westy sells syncro transmissions

https://www.gowesty.com/product/manual/4281/rebuilt-syncro-transaxle-with-locking-differential
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

That has to be exchange.
And based upon a rebuildable core.

And not a "core" that has welded its shafts to the gears and has to be cut open with a sawzall. Shocked
I heard of this recently....
another syncro trans bites the dust.
The quantity went down, demand up, and street-price, up (by one increment).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
That has to be exchange.

And not a "core" that has welded its shafts to the gears and has to be cut open with a sawzall. Shocked

Yep, no new Syncro transmissions since that batch of S.A. ones sold out years ago.

We really need someone willing to invest in the development of a all new Syncro transaxle. With a matching mount it could also be sold to the 2wd Vanagon crowd as an enhancement even without a front diff (locker, granny gear).
The VW sand rail folks might also be interested in a 4x4 transaxle and other applications of a rear engine 4x4 setup. Of course a newer front diff might also be needed in the future as Syncro front diffs disappear.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Sodo wrote:
That has to be exchange.

Yep, no new Syncro transmissions since that batch of S.A. ones sold out years ago.

We really need someone willing to invest in the development of a all new Syncro transaxle. With a matching mount it could also be sold to the 2wd Vanagon crowd as an enhancement even without a front diff (locker, granny gear).
The VW sand rail folks might also be interested in a 4x4 transaxle and other applications of a rear engine 4x4 setup. Of course a newer front diff might also be needed in the future as Syncro front diffs disappear.

It's coming. They changed the name. Now the driveline is called hybrid electric. ⚡
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that's a coming option. Still a bit of range anxiety when thinking all electric when off-road camping and long road trips to out of the way areas.
And it's a major reworking of the drivetrain to try and do a hybrid.
A straight forward Syncro transmission replacement still has it's place.

WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

Accidentally hit post twice... See next post.

Last edited by WTGPhoben on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

In case anyone was interested what I finally came up with, I did make a call and have a self-review of the results...

Ultimately I decided that the uncertainty about how long before a viable modern [electric] replacement for the Vanagon comes along was too great to target a full syncro conversion (the downtime for a vehicle I use all the time was also not very attractive), but I do care about reliability (I have one of the early transmissions that are prone to exploding unexpectedly in the 125k mi range), and I did want more capability. I decided to do a rebuild and a locking TBD with some modified gearing on my 4spd (I was told upgrading to 5spd was cost prohibitive so I didn't really inquire any further)

Final Details:
Tire Height: 27.0 (215/65r16)
Ring&Pinion: 5.43 (much smaller than stock)
1st: 3.78 (stock)
2nd: 2.06 (stock)
3rd: 1.14 (taller)
4th: 0.78 (taller still)

The goal here was to get a little more steep + low traction terrain capability while retaining my ability to go fast on the highway.

In practical terms the gearing above gave me 1st gear that's noticeably lower than a bone stock van (original wheels and gearing). This is great for stop and go traffic and the van will grind up a terrifyingly steep slope (30%?) without hesitation. The lower final drive also makes 2nd gear usable in more rugged conditions. 3rd gear ends up netting a little taller than stock with my wheels and fourth a little taller still, allowing both to be good highway gears that take me to 51.9 and 75.9 mph @4000 RPM respectively.

The locker was a last-minute add when I realized that it wasn't a whole lot more expensive to do (+$1400 installed, IIRC, and I happened to end up with an AAN bellhousing on my exchange, so it's a tiny bit like a syncro...), though I doubt I'll use it much.

Overall I'm happy with the result. The TBD is very noticeable in "everyday" situations I encounter like backing out of my driveway onto a street that's ~23% or climbing twisty dirt roads. The gaps between gears do require that the engine be revved, 2-3 is basically redline to middle of the green zone on the tach, but I'd do that anyway simply because I tend to drive pretty fast. My only real complaint is that around town I need a lot more double clutching in 1 and 2 to make sure I match revs than I did with the old gearing.

Anyway, hope this is helpful info for someone!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild 2wd to Syncro transmission? Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
and a locking TBD

A Peloquin only locks & releases, it does not "bias torque".
I started to call my Peloquin a TDB (= They Don't Bias) once I understood how it works. Wink
But terminology is neither here nor there, it's a great mod for a Vanagon transaxle.

Try to avoid lugging with that wide-ratio box. I bet its nice to have that lower first gear for off-road.

Thanks for the follow-up!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: