Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campsite water filler
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

So I’ve had this idea for a while but never got around to trying it out until now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

Is that a hanging water bag intended for a gravity filter set up. That is one way to fill up the water. Other then setting it up, looks effortless.

I have gone through several different methods for doing this. On my last trip I brought along a 6 gallon "Jerry can" style water jug, cause I needed the extra water capacity for a long desert trip. The can had its own spout that fill the van easily.

My fail safe is to used a flexible cutting board rolled up into a funnel so that I could pour water in from a 1 gallon type jug.

I often carry a collapsible water jug. These come with their own nozzle. Very slow to fill while holding the jug up in the air. Better to just use the cutting board funnel, remove the nozzle from the jug and pour it in.
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

Basically, yeah. It's a drybag I had with me. Leaks a little around the bottom but not enough to really matter. I just filled it and hung it on the ladder with a piece of tubing going into the van. Walked away and did some other stuff while it filled itself. Pretty easy!
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

I've not been anywhere that I needed to filter the water but I often camp in places where there's no water available at all. I carry a couple of 3 gallon water jugs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KA2LOS) with spouts. I can pour directly into the water tank with that. Imo 6 gallon jugs are too big to carry far. For sites with water taps, I've got a hose and a 'water bandit' which will let me attach the host to any tap, though you have to have a good grip to keep it sealed (https://www.amazon.com/DistiKem-Camco-22484-Water-Bandit/dp/B0101IDRVO)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

sgirard wrote:
Basically, yeah. It's a drybag I had with me. Leaks a little around the bottom but not enough to really matter. I just filled it and hung it on the ladder with a piece of tubing going into the van. Walked away and did some other stuff while it filled itself. Pretty easy!

"Dry bag" sure looks wet to me. Smile

I use one of these for my gravity filter set. Seems perfect for what you have. I'd even skip the ladder and throw it on the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089QK98YJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

When I was in Moab. I brought this and filled it up at the grocery store paid filtered water dispenser, and city park water spigot. Camped for 5 days. 4 people. Gallon per person per day.

https://www.amazon.com/igloo-corporation-42154-Gal...mp;sr=8-17
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

Thanks guys for giving me the idea of what to do with this thing ... It's a 2.5 gal solar shower bag that we always carry in the van.
[/img]
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Campsite water filler Reply with quote

I do very similar. I have a 10L Ortlieb watersack and use a short tube (15cm) connected to the standard ortlieb tap to go into the tank. I hang the bag from the tailgate strut while its filling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: