Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Hi all.
My 1st car was a beetle 1303L. Unfortunately i lost that car due to a car accident. Years past, made a family, kids, family car etc. I was looking to buy a Karmann Ghia which was my dream since i was 18yo but due to the current economical situation isnt possible (prices went up as well).
I came across a VW Beetle '67. Havent see it in 1st person yet but i have already deposit an advanced payment.
I would like to have your opinion the following:
1. Rear left light is broken. Can i match others year light?
2. Front left horn grill is missing. Can i match others year grill?
3. Window crank seems broken. Can i match others year crank?
4. Interior looks original (not sure tho). Car should had been oringal black with red interior?
5. Radio opening looks cutted? Original radio i can fit in? Original radio opening dimensions?
6. Co driver dashboard handle looks cutted. Can i match others year handle?

Floor Pans looks ok. But i am wondering if they are ok should i just proceed with a good paint and fix some rust areas here and there or i should better take everything off and restore everything?

I am looking to keep the car stock, except some good wheels, steering whels and a bit lower (slammed) car. I dont know if in case of changing the original color with one of the rest VW colors of 67 year colors, will this lower the car's value?

Please show me the right way Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Kalimera Nikos,
nice Beetle, we used to have a very similar 1966 in black.

1. Rear left light is broken. Can i match others year light?
Yes, lights from 5/61 until 7/67 (European econonmy Beetle until 7/73) will fit.

2. Front left horn grill is missing. Can i match others year grill?
Yes grilles from 1953 until 7/67 (European economy Beetle until 7/72) will fit.

3. Window crank seems broken. Can i match others year crank?
The crank is a one year item because of the black knob. I can only guess that an earlier crank would fit. You then have to change the knobīs colour.

4. Interior looks original (not sure tho). Car should had been oringal black with red interior?
Yes, cool combination.

5. Radio opening looks cutted? Original radio i can fit in? Original radio opening dimensions?
Original radio is smaller that the cut opening. Weld it back or try to fabricate an a auxiliary frame.

6. Co driver dashboard handle looks cutted. Can i match others year handle?
I can only guess this is a one year item, the earlier handles were white and the later flatter and wider.

There is a great thread for the 1967 one year only stuff:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Kalimera Alex
Welli just check the car in person and daaaamn...
Fenders look awfull, not sure if they can be repaired or its better to replace them.
Front hood same story.
0anels, need to be replaced as well.
Radio is cutted and bended inside.
It seems that driver side front fender had an accident on the pastbecause the bumber base is damaged and rotated to the center of the car by 10-15 degrees or something.
Not aure if i should proceed with it or not....
Will i find sheet metal for all of these?
Oh man...
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Don't know what VW bug's are going for in Greece, but I don't see one inch of that car that dose not need some kind of repair, the engine looks like it has not run in many years. unless it is very cheap I think I would look around, it's prob. better to pay extra for one in better shape, BUT, I don't live in Greece. good luck what ever you do.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Leoniums wrote:
Fenders look awfull, not sure if they can be repaired or its better to replace them.
Front hood same story.
0anels, need to be replaced as well.

In a way you are lucky. The US-spec '67 Beetle was the first year for vertical faced headlights like those used in later model Beetles, but these were mounted in '66-earlier style fenders. This made the '67 Beetle front fenders 1-year only fenders. But your Euro-spec '67 had the '66 carry over fenders. There are pics of early '67 Beetles in Europe with '66 front fenders. This makes it easier for you to find either OE Germany '66-earlier fenders or aftermarket '66-earlier fenders and still have the correct style fenders. If your were in the US you would need to find '67-only front fenders.

Here is a link to Wolfsburg West page on sheetmetal. You can see there are lots of replacement panels. Many that you may need. But you should try to make use of as much OE metal as you can and only replace the rusted parts. Much of the aftermarket metal is thinner than the OE part it replaces.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_s...cfm?type=1

Front hood and apron are the same as earlier year Beetles so again '66-earlier is the same. Not too hard to find used or new aftermarket sheetmetal.

The rear engine deck lid and rear apron are also 1-year only items, but yours look okay. Neither is made aftermarket. Salvage what you can.

Leoniums wrote:
Radio is cutted and bended inside.

LimeBug makes a weld in panel to fix radio holes. You would need to cut out the opening and weld in this patch panel:
https://www.limebug.com/product/view/1052/t1-58-beetle-dash-radio-repair-panel-section#temp

Leoniums wrote:
It seems that driver side front fender had an accident on the pastbecause the bumber base is damaged and rotated to the center of the car by 10-15 degrees or something.

The tire well and front fender well can be replaced with aftermarket sheetmetal for '67-earlier Beetles. They are the same.

Leoniums wrote:
Not aure if i should proceed with it or not....
Will i find sheet metal for all of these?

If you want to restore it to be a clean street car with little sign of damage you will need to weld in some new sheetmetal and buy replacement panels (used or new). But you seem to have all the critical 1-year only parts.

The black dash knobs for the headlights and wipers are also 1-year only, but you have them. The fuel gauge appears to have been replaced, but this was the same gauge used in earlier years so good used mechanical gauges and cable sending units can still be found.

Confirm if the engine is an H-case and the serial# of the engine is approximately correct for the VIN. Check here for the last VIN# and the engine# for each production month. Determine if they are reasonably close. If you have the original engine it could increase the value of the car.

I would suggest pulling up the carpet (or ask for pics) and look at the floor pans and heater channels. These will likely need to be replaced if they are original. Also the package tray under the rear window is another place that can rust through, take a close look there. There are aftermarket replacements for all of these but they will quickly add up and make the restoration very expensive.

I recently bought a '67 Beetle in similar condition. I only paid around $1500 (USD) for it. After getting it home I am discovering more and more rust that will need to be cut out and replaced. But I didn't start the project to make a profit. I've always wanted a '67 and couldn't pass up the opportunity. It will likely cost me $$$ over the next couple years to get it back on the road. I plan to separate the body/chassis and fix all the rusted metal. Treat all of the exposed metal with a rust inhibitor so the car will last another 50yrs. Strip all the paint and repaint it a nice color. Unfortunately my car doesn't have the original engine so I can never hope to get it back to an all original state.

If you are only buying the car with the hope of selling it for a profit... I would suggest you walk away and find one that requires less work. But if you don't mind the huge effort needed to restore a car so you have a working classic that you can safely drive around... from your pics this is a pretty good example of a survivor. If you don't mind the look, you might consider fixing all the required items (structural and safety) and just drive it "as is" and be proud you have a 50yr old car that looks its age. Smile
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Not sure whats original and whats not on this car.
What can be saved and what not.
Here is a link with more pics of it.... Hope can give some more help.
https://we.tl/t-ipWqETj3Lf

I tried to check as much as possible, i am not a pro but since i had a beetle on the past (passed many months on each kind of repair shops) i have some knowledge of what to check 1st.
VIN number seems to be 117276134 (?) not sure for the last digit though..
but engine number seems to be D 061325 or 061725...
Car label in the front is all washed out... grinding or something.... cant see a thing..
I am not going to resell it. If i restore it i will pass it to my boys.
And for sure i am not just looking to drive it without knowing that the car isnt as it should.
I am just afraid for that 1 year parts only. I am afraid that i wont be able to find sheet metal parts to match its factory setup. Nothing else. And one good thing is that i am working on sheet metal construction company, working with sheet metal parts almost 20 years now, so i can easily redesigned some small parts for it.
--------------------
So according your posts it seems that i wont face any problem on finding parts for it.
Should i take everything apart on my garage, sandblasted, order all parts and then find a repair shop?
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
and be proud you have a 50yr old car that looks its age. Smile

So
Tire well: Can use '66 and earlier
Front Fenders: Can use '66 and earlier
Front Hood: Can use '66 and earlier
Front Apron: Can use ''66 and earlier
Rear Engine Deck lid: 1 year only
Rear Apron: 1 year only
Heat Channels:
Rockers etc:
Floor Panels: 1958-1970 are the same?
Front Quarter Panels: ?
Rear Quarter Panels: ?
Doors?
Rear hood:?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Heat Channels: up to '68 are the same.
Rockers etc: The rocker panel below the door is part of the heater channel. The heater channel actually bridges the bottom of the door pillars together. You can buy them as a complete assembly or as separate components of the heater channel (front leg, bottom panel and rocker panel).
The running boards which sit outside the doors between the front/rear fenders are separate parts. They are the same physical size for all Beetles, but the trim may be different width.

Floor Panels: 1958-1970 are the same? Yes. You may want to search for the thick floor pans.
Front Quarter Panels: ? I couldn't find new metal for the entire front quarter panels. There are lower front quarter repair panels where they rust out in the fender wells, but not the entire quarter panel.
Rear Quarter Panels: ? Same. Lower patch panels where they rust out at the bottom and fender well patch panels.
Doors? '67 only, but I think it is only because of the handles/components. The door shell may be the same as the '66. I'm not certain.
Rear hood:? Did you mean engine deck lid? It is '67 only.

Here's another link to body sheet metal replacement panels for the '67:
https://www.mtmfg.com/vw/3283/1947-1967-Sheet-Metal-#sheet-metal

Don't think you cannot find OE '67 VW sheet metal. '67 was one of the most popular model years and there are groups that focus only on '67 parts: http://1967beetle.com/
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Leoniums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Happy New Year and a safe year as well!
So i probably made a bad decision and proceed with the purchase.
So soon i will start dismantling the car and i would like to ask which companies have good replace sheet metal parts in EU? So i can start making a list?
Can someone please identify me some good brands who are known for a good quality replacement parts?
Thank you in advance
vwcrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Restoration Reply with quote

Nikos,

Any updates since you purchased the 67?

-joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: