Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler getting hot
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meggypeggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Hi

Driving a 1600 bug which has a single 30pict carb and recently put on muffler (as my old one didn’t fit as I ran dual carbs).

After a five minute drive the muffler gets that hot that I can feel the heat through the valance at the back. I swear it’s causing the paint to bubble and crack. Really concerned and wondered if it was normal? If so how do you go about protecting other areas from heat?

Car has been tuned and is running fine apart from this concern.

Thank you for your time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

My muffler runs 375 f on a day with the temp. at 88 f, everything stock, 1600 engine, after 30 min. drive, temp. taken at idle.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Make a heat shield for it or wrap it with cermic header tape. It will bubble your paint without something.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Double check your timing. If unburned fuel is burning in the exhaust, it will drastically raise the temps of the muffler. You might need to advance it a few degrees.

Also, if you're really rich, it can cause.that too.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Dumb question as I was just messing around with my own tailpipes, but your's are properly installed, correct? Thinking that if they are too far in the exhaust/heat will have no where to go and might contribute to your problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meggypeggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
Dumb question as I was just messing around with my own tailpipes, but your's are properly installed, correct? Thinking that if they are too far in the exhaust/heat will have no where to go and might contribute to your problem.

I followed the advice of someone who stated that the pipes should be in at a certain point. I’ve not shoved them in to the bottom. I will however look up to see what depth they should be in. Thank you.
Meggypeggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Make a heat shield for it or wrap it with cermic header tape. It will bubble your paint without something.

I will look for some. My concern is that it’s heating up the engine too as they are connected. Will look for some thank you.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Check timing, mixture, cooling, and all things related, but mufflers do get hot. Aftermarket rear apron?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

How can it get that hot? There is that inner second layer of metal inside the apron, wouldn't that insulate from some of the heat?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meggypeggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

I will get some heat shield for it.

Dum question sorry. Am I right in thinking I wrap the muffler or the areas that get hot around the muffler?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

You can get a piece of 6" stove pipe and cut it with tin snips and make two spacers 3/8" thick and use two hose clamps to hold it all in place. If you use header wrap that will keep the heat inside and not let it radiate. You wrap it and hold it in place with hose clamps or wire and the heat will make it bond together.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler getting hot Reply with quote

Meggypeggs,
Again, how hot is hot ? what you think as hot might be normal, you said you put on a new muffler, it's going to smell diff. for a few hours, what paint are you talking about that it's causing to bubble and crack ? on the muffler or on the car ? you need to get a therm. temp. gun, they are not too exp. and to compare with another bug or someone here on the forum, everyone has a diff. opinion on what is too hot,.
If you car is running like it should, I would just drive it. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: