Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Nice, that is cool how the front suspension fits through the fuel tank hole

Yes it is a very nice design where the shock tower is tucked up under the hood. There are some cutting of the body where the cross member bolted to the old beam. I'll need to clearance the fenders more but they are glass anyhoo.

I'll keep updating this thread with more progress as it happens.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Here is the latest status of the Baja Bug. I have the beginnings of the Roll cage mocked up. I do not like how the A-Pilar tubes are kicked in... I'll soon be replacing them with better contoured bends to be snug with A-Pilar. You can really see what I mean in the last picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My plan is to get some wire long enough to mockup the correct angles of the A-Pilar bends and transfer to tubing. It's a good start, more to come soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I am not using the heater channel as I'd like to be able to remove body without chopping cage but do appreciate the concepts.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Made some really good progress in the last couple days. I was able to re-engineer the A-Pilar Cage supports. This moved them outboard by about 6 inches on each side. Also, received my 5x5 Rear IRS from Pacific Customs and have them installed. Next, I need to fab up a temporary supports for the 14" Fox DSC's so the rear can stand on it's own. I say temporary because I do not have the Mendeola 2D and shafts to properly cycle the suspension, I wont be able to permanently mount until those components are in place. (someone correct me if I am mistaken here...)

I did cycle the arms to get an idea of what is possible. I am showing full droop to compression at 29"'s. I'll be happy with 16" - 20" with the Mendeola and shafts in place.

So far its been a really fun project and I am looking forward to spending a lot more money! Shocked

Before and after 5x5 install

5x5 installation complete

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looking good. What rear caliper did you go with? Looks like a good fit.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Looking good. What rear caliper did you go with? Looks like a good fit.

JAMAR ProX 4-piston all the way around. Everything seems to have gone together really well.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Body mocked up again to start working on the rear Cage and come up with a temp mounting location for the Coilovers until I source a Mendeola 2d.

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Those rims look awesome.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Those rims look awesome.

Thanks! about 1600.00 awesome haha
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Get that Spendeola trans in and CV shafts. Then cycle the CVs BEFORE you start on the shocks. The CVs will be the travel limits. With VW hubs, you may get 18-20" of final rear travel.

Now you'll need to replace those rear fenders with aluminum ones or at least some of the high flat top fiberglass ones. Those flat back fenders have become kinda scarce. I have a pair out back. But one doesn't see them very often any more.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Get that Spendeola trans in and CV shafts. Then cycle the CVs BEFORE you start on the shocks. The CVs will be the travel limits. With VW hubs, you may get 18-20" of final rear travel.

Now you'll need to replace those rear fenders with aluminum ones or at least some of the high flat top fiberglass ones. Those flat back fenders have become kinda scarce. I have a pair out back. But one doesn't see them very often any more.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Mendeola 4E in my buggy. I think I am going to pull it out and use it to mock up the suspension while I source Mendeola 2D. The 4E case is exactly the same as the 2D so should be a good option.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Update:

Was having trouble sleeping at night thinking about the B-Pilar and how inboard the Leg was. I decided to cut it out and move outboard to join other chassis tubes:

Here you can see the rosette using 1 3/8n inside 1 5/8:

Started conceptualizing the upper shock tower supports that tie in to the A-Pilar. I should have the drivers side in tomorrow:

Mocked up the driver and passenger door caging. Unfortunately the Beard seats I have are not going to work. I am ordering PRP 19" wide seats which should also allow me to have room for cutting brake mounted between:

Hope someone is enjoying watching, I sure am having a good time building this, it's like therapy.

Mike

P.S. Check my items for sale in the classifies... Beard Seats, Fake CenterLine wheels, and a type one trans.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I'm following, keep the updates flowing! I bought Chad's A-Arm kit too and just started removing the beam on my baja last weekend.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
I'm following, keep the updates flowing! I bought Chad's A-Arm kit too and just started removing the beam on my baja last weekend.

Nice! Chad is a good dude to work with. Very responsive to my initial questions. Let me know when/if you start a thread? I'll follow and maybe we can bounce ideas.

What are you running for rear?

Mike
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I have an old build thread link in my signature but it's been a while since I've been on here. I need to update it because I've made a ton of updates to the car.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Initial Design I came up with for the font A-Arm Support. After speaking with Chad from NicholsFab and Evan (one of the first to use the J-Arms design from Nichols Fab) they both agreed it was overkill.

So I went back to the proverbial drawing board and watered the design down to this. Notice the down tubes from the A-Pillar support. These go down to the base of the bottom of bulkhead. I may still x-brace the top area. One remaining item is to bring tubes down to the Chassis support protruding though bottom of firewall. I hope to have these done tomorrow. And one last mention is the tube connectors which will allow me to decouple the front cage enough to remove the body from chassis.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Some better shots of the down tubes connecting to the chassis tubing.

I removed springs to recycle the suspension and made sure the down tubes were not interfering with a-arm geometry. From droop to where tires are hitting the fender well I am showing 19" of travel, of course I need to clear the fender/wells but I still have about 2" of shock travel until full bump. I imagine I'll limit it at 19-20".

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looking good. All my Baja's had either the vw steering box or a rack. My thing has electric power steering plus the rack. Absolutely love it. It would go good with what your building. I believe they have 3 levels of power to choose from.

Love seeing the progress and pictures.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Looking good. All my Baja's had either the vw steering box or a rack. My thing has electric power steering plus the rack. Absolutely love it. It would go good with what your building. I believe they have 3 levels of power to choose from.

Love seeing the progress and pictures.

Thanks for watching. I have considered the electric power assist but not sire if I am going that route yet. I think I have the room for it just above the bulkhead.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: