Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 409, 410, 411 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

You're right - that deserves a beer. Nice VW, and history.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Arrow I ordered yet anouther parts supply from my favoured VW parts company. This will be about my 8th parts package that I’ve placed and received during the past winter and spring. With most orders being between
$ 150 and $ 200 CDN, I only have one more order to place. I’ve kept all of my receipts for the history file I’m creating for my super, so I’m really not upset at spending the money as it is an investment in the long run. All the parts ordered should address all areas of my 74 super beetle, and then the real fun begins !
What did YOU do with your VW today ?

Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I found or rescued a plastic center console for VW. They’ve been making these things forever and this one was free. It had some fake look wood grain inserts that were tape, shit canned that.

Looking at these you notice how flimsy they are so I got an idea. I built up the underside using a couple spray coats of rubberized undercoating. This helped strengthen the otherwise flimsy console. I shot it with semi gloss black. It goes well with that custom shifter.😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Idea I must definetly pick a can or two of this black rubber paint up. There are almost countless ways to use this product in an air cooled VW, perhaps even being a successful product for eradicating our home planet of the cussed death foam ? Wouldn't that be a worthy project if it proved to be THE cure ?
Even using it to temporarily seal up a seem that is lettind
water into ones Beetle would be justified. Your awsome looking centre console is surely helped in it's new trend ot not sliding around, and the textured look really works for me.
Regarding your shifter shaft, I really like the hand created look. It looks as if it could be a product of a group who are dedicated to eliminating Earth from weapons, with this being a repurposed silencer ! I can certainly dig that notion Mr Zundfogle

A seperate thought is that you are embracing Colin Chapmans favoured way of making a car go faster. In any event it rocks from my perspective !!
Cheers,
Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

That shifter is actually a mixture of VW parts. It’s a sport shifter which was available at dealership. The rubber boot is type 3 and the T handle is B&M for some American applications. Maybe it’s rat Rod inspired 😀
CzyKats44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cleaned up the wheels and polished some chrome.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

CzyKats44 wrote:
Cleaned up the wheels and polished some chrome.

Did your redone wheel really look like the one still on the car? If so, you did an excellent job. What tools did you use- sandblasting, then sandable primer/filler and silver spray paint? Or manual tools such as wire wheel angle grinder, various sandpaper grits, etc.?
CzyKats44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Did your redone wheel really look like the one still on the car?...

The one on the car is indicative of what the other three looked like. All manual with a wire wheel, fine wire cup and sandpaper by hand (carefully with 100 then 500 and 1000). All 4 had most of the paint gone with some surface rust but nothing exfoliated or pitted bad. The spare came out great because that was minimal work primarily under the weights ... but it still has a bias ply on it Shocked

The caps were just manually hit with dawn and 1, 00, and 0000 steel wool then polished with blue magic.

They looked so shitty on the car primarily because of filth and grease stains. I'm pleased with how they came out. Took a few hours but I won't have to worry about them for the foreseeable future. Just need some tires that aren't from the 80s.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Recently, I once again replaced all the hoses and fuel filter going to and from the fuel tank on my 1974 Super Beetle. This time, I used Belmetric German braided Flennor 5mm ID hose, and the same in 4 mm for all the vapor hoses. New smell of gas gone once again.

Yesterday, however, I filled up the tank and damn if I didn’t smell the gas when I got home and parked in the hot-ass garage. But the smell was coming from the back of the car. Jacked her up and sure enough, the hose from the tunnel to the metal tube that goes through the firewall was leaking a drop every few seconds. It wasn’t the entire hose, just the three inches from the tunnel tube to the fuel filter. Replaced it, and the fuel filter, with the same Belmetric stuff I had, and all is well.

Man, that ethanol sure eats up the rubber inside the hose. The filter was black with it. I should have looked sooner, but I have a fuel filter directly under the tank and didn’t worry about the one by the transmission. With this new Flennor stuff, I won’t worry about it for a long time. It can take 85% ethanol, and we only have 10% here in California.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Found a burnt bulb in speedometer. Didn't have any good spares, so I used the burnt bulb casing and made an LED replacement.

Incandescent (LEFT) and LED (RIGHT)

Rounded up another burnt bulb casing and made another for the left side.

Full LED

And dimmable too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The two hose clamps I had used on the VW exhaust here broke, Mrs. Cusser found one in the horse arena (potentially sharp and dangerous to the horse (she drags the harrow with the VW).

These were used to secure the muffler to the header, so vibration over time wouldn't break the muffler. So I bent a U-bolt I had here, made a bracket/retainer for that, and used that, feels good.

I also saw a big rubber stopper sealing the rear tin had bounced out, and got cut by the pulley, so I tapped that back in.

And the VW front end is squeaking, but not when I jack up and turn the steering wheel; so I need to get a grease gun up here and grease the front end, and start with that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I've been busy getting all greased up. Removed the torsion springs to find that the previous owner had installed them arse-about-face with some of the springs actually sticking out... so I cleaned them up and reinstalled them properly.

Also wrestled with the upper and lower balljoints (I'd forgotten how much I hate replacing these) and put new brakes shoes and cylinders on the front.

All the structural stuff is getting close to done and I'll be moving on to sorting out the bodywork next and reinstalling the tank. Not sure if I'll go the rustoleum route or not yet... thinking battleship grey (RAL7024) is what I'll go for...

Cool
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today, I ordered a new clutch cable (only one strand left holding it together!), clutch bowden tube (cause of the frayed cable), two pedal pads (haven't had any since I replaced the pedal assembly years ago), and a new voltage regulator for the alternator, as it intermittently overcharges badly while driving.

I ordered everything from aircooled.net. I also have some back-ordered parts from them from back in April. Hopefully those will be available soon, too.

I also hope John and everyone else from aircooled.net is doing okay. I have emailed them a couple times about the back-ordered parts, but did not receive a response. Hoping it's just because they are busy and not something more serious!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started gauge install.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

When I ordered the clutch cable and bowden tube the other day, I finally remembered that intermittently the AL82 internal voltage regulator sticks and overcharges the crap out of the battery (think 18+ volts), so I ordered a new regulator from ACN also. Since I can't drive the car with no clutch cable, I took the alternator out today:

Then disassembled the alternator, cleaned the brushes and commutator (they weren't really in bad shape), and inspected the bearings (they are good).

Now I wait for parts. If USPS actually delivers mail this Friday, I should have parts!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I should add to the above post, the alternator repair is the FIRST time that having dual carbs has made something easier. Laughing

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
sodium11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

What did I do to my Bug today? Well it wasn't today but last week I picked up my first 1970 Vert and towed it 300 miles home behind a Mk7 Golf TDI (first time I've towed anything that far or big so that was fun.) And this week I was able to tag and title it so the fun can begin. Overall the car's in great shape, the paint's bad but very solid. I'll be disassembling it in the winter to soda-blast it for paint prep, and addressing the small hole by the battery, as well as fixing what was cut in the dash to fit a modern radio. The near future will be front disk brakes cuz man, I'd forgotten how terrible all drum brakes can be. My goal is to get it as stock as possible, and thanks to the fine folks here I've already got a repairable 8-track radio I'm working on and the correct steering wheel on the way (at some point someone put in a later one)

My name's Scott, and I'd like you to meet my to-be-named friend:

sodium11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today my new-to-me steering wheel came in, so I installed it Very Happy

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

On my 1970 sedan, had a squeak in front while turning the steering wheel when wheels were on the ground, coming from driver side.

I lubed the front end; no change, but needed the lube job.

I noticed that the inner driver side tie rod end was loose, ordering a replacement.

I jacked up the front and sprayed aerosol lithium grease into the two driver side ball joints, the outer driver tie rod end, and the top of the shock absorber at the bushings.

Noise is gone now; so if it returns I'll need to isolate which of those 4 possibilities is making the noise. I don't really have the capability or desire to do the ball joints myself....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 409, 410, 411 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 410 of 449

Jump to: