Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission axle boot plate difference
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

Hello.
I just recently noticed these differences of diameter and height on boot plate, I have been told there was early and later design... Maybe to avoid leak?
Does someone know when it changed approximately?
Thank you
Yan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

… looking in my 10/1957 VW parts book - shows that retainer, you referenced as part number 111 501 141, qty. 2 AND an under sized one 111 501 143 - no ch. number break mentioned - listed are 2 retainer gaskets > a 0.3 and 0.1mm... all found on page 5-3, illustration 17, numbers 4,3,2... An * appears = used on type 2 also.

Nothing is mentioned in Car of the Century, by JT GARWOOD ( I looked in 1945 through 1950)- z

i'd say, just a running change ...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

Hello, OK it's well referenced with 2 differents parts so.
I'm curious to know why...
Nobody knows more about?
Thanks
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

okay, I'm spit balling here...but is the difference possibly to indicate that one is used for early trasaxles that do not have the plastic "flower" between the transaxle and the bell of the axle tubes?
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

I didn't think about that, that could be the reason yes
The larger one came from a transmission with that plastic flower
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

Does that mean that you can use the 'plastic flower' on an earlier transmission, if you use the later, taller, cover? I ask this because I've just taken an earlier box apart, and because of swarf (from worn out bearing?), or whatever in the oil, the surface of the mag alloy casing, upon which the axle tube pivots, is badly scored, and maybe using the 'plastic flower' could make it usable again?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

The non flower transaxle is not machined to accept the flower buffer. the flower won't fit the ID of the axle hole
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission axle boot plate difference Reply with quote

From what I'm finding as I go along with various gearboxes, is that the plastic daisey doesn't seem to have been fitted to split case boxes, including the 3 synchro, although I'm sure I have such a box (stored elsewhere, & I will compare later) with them fitted.

I've just noticed in my Scientific Publications, 'All Cars Up To January 1960' Workshop Manual, that it says that the plastic shims were introduced in September 1958.

As you say, the ID of the shaft opening is smaller on the 3 synchro, and no doubt earlier boxes, but if the case we machined out slightly to accept them, would there be problems fitting the original metal covers covers, with a need to use the later ones?

The reason I'm keen to find out, is because the original case from the oval has heavy scoring (lined grooves) in one area, and once polished out as well as possible, the use of the plastic spacer would prevent future acting of steel upon the mag alloy.

I'm sure this has all been done somewhere in the deep & distant past, and especially when trying to keep a vehicle as a matching numbers car.
Below are pictures of a 3 synchro box with new 'daisey' resting on the original ID hole.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: