Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$375 each for both my '54 and '55 parts car.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

Most I have paid, and it was not easy, was $6K for an all original velvet green 68 westy. It was worth it, but I am a cheap f$^%&#er.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$8200 in 2012, 1967 DC, complete minus bumpers, bus wheels and wiper motor and all the replacement metal. Not a great buy, not a bad buy IMO.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$650 for a '69 Westy in 1989

$250 for a '73 Westy in 1994

$150 for a '74 Westy in 1996

Free for a '77 Bus in 1998 (really traded for engine work)

$600 for a '78 Westy in 1999

$500 for a '71 Westy in 2006

$1300 for a '71 Single Cab in 2008

All were very rusty except the '71 Westy...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

I will admit, I’m now spending more for rotten/parted shit than I would have for the same vehicle 30-40 years ago when it was in running/driving condition. Confused

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$16000 for my 54 Karmann Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

15K for my 73 Thing ten years ago. The Thing is was totally restored to stock, the guy I bought it from had over 30K in it, got in too deep on a 356 restoration and had to sell off a couple of VW's. We talk on occasion, and he says that selling the Thing was the stupidest Thing he ever did, and would be glad to buy it back. Too little to late I'm afraid. At todays prices, it was a good buy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

you're all lucky you're not in the uk - lots of rusty crap for £5k to £6k cause "it's rat look innit mate" and "don't need an MOT mate" to which my answer normally is "it's not rat look it's a rusty pile of crap & no you don't need an MOT but you do still have to comply with construction and use regs........)

looked at '65 cal look beetle that was up for £6k with no engine - looked great but the body was 1" off the floorpan on one side and the tank had been raised on 1" channel section for some reason. that plus the welding that looked like pigeon crap was enough for me to walk

over here currently you're looking at £8k to £10k for a reasonable car with stock (ish) motor - i miss the days when half that got you a cal look car that had been professionally (well known body shop) restored, with a built (well known builder) engine and a good (well known trimmer) interior - shouldn't have sold it.......
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I will admit, I’m now spending more for rotten/parted shit than I would have for the same vehicle 30-40 years ago when it was in running/driving condition. Confused

I hear ya..
Just purchased a rotted out convertible super beetle-flat windshield '72-for $750

nearly stripped out carcass with torn up seats, no engine.

Mainly because I need the one good german rear fender it had on it. (rear fenders have dried up locally)

Body is straight though, has a clear title, and a transmission, and a nice top frame.
I might get lucky and break even off it or perhaps the SB convertible market will blossom again soon
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

Most I've paid is 4k for one. Not including restoration costs.

I did sell my 58 sedan last year for $39k.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:

Damn. Nice car man!

lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
lawn ninja wrote:

Damn. Nice car man!

Thanks I appreciate it, I had a good time building that one.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$3200 for my '78 Convertible in the 90's
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

$1450 for an incomplete, but running '67 westy in 2004. Bought locally on ebay and drove it home the same day the auction ended. Had to sell a '77 bus ($750) and a '93 mazda protege ($750) to afford it.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

the most was $4000 for my '69 westy in....uh. 96 maybe? and that was "shiny but rusty" priced. (and was literally everything I had).

added up recently what I spent on my '66 to get it (it was a trade of parts/labor). under $1k in '98. up to about 18-20k spent on it (I know I'm missing some data, but I've got $17877.40 accounted for so far) by 2021.

the other two busses I've bought were $50 ('75) and $500 ('66). the $500 one is still running around somewhere (Yo Adrian!), the other two are long dead.
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

same here. last full parts car i needed was when i was building my 70 bus. paid 600 for it and it was a bit of a turd.

it was just easier to do that than get all the little pieces i needed. i have however just about broken even on it, or at least within 100 bux.

back in the day it would have been a 100 parts car at best but stuff really dried up around here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

Someone should start a thread called "whats the least you paid for your acvw". Probably get a lot of 50 and 100 buck cars in there.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Someone should start a thread called "whats the least you paid for your acvw". Probably get a lot of 50 and 100 buck cars in there.

Yep. I have gotten a few for free, traded firewood for one, and traded an antique rifle (not worth much) for a bus.

I am guessing there would be some good stories in that thread.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

My Thing just got beat out by this 68 Squareback. I paid $11,000, but its very clean.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the most you've spent purchasing an air cooled vw Reply with quote

Honestly $11K shocked me for a second because I'm stuck in the days when Squarebacks were cheap but I looked at your pics and that thing is super clean.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: