Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under storage rifle case?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

I have been reading post about under van storage. I like the cutout container, but I don't really want to cut into my floor at the moment. I'm wondering if a pelican or similar rifle case would fit? That space behind the door is so nice and long/deep I would love to take advantage and rid my interior of a sliding container of tools/parts/fluids.

A bunch of strong neodymium magnets would be really cool way of snapping it up there. But most likely bungy cords to start. If it even fits...just wondering if anyone has done it before I go get dirty with my tape measure.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

I don't really understand what you're talking/asking about. You want to store a rifle under your van? That sounds insanely insecure, both in terms of the rifle's mechanical safety and the potential for theft.
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

sorry, not a rifle. Just a rifle case with tools in it.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

You're going to need all the magnets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

I feel like a pack of these https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Neodymium-Magnets-Do...2ARZO?th=1 epoxied on the case and frame would do the trick. But would have to see, would suck to loose a hard case of tools.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

If you have your spare tire on an external carrier, the tire tray is an awesome place to put a container to store fluids, spare parts, etc. There're several threads with info about it.

Going back to your original question, I don't like the idea of using the rifle case in that location because it's difficult to open/remove without spilling everything out.

I've seen folks build a tray with angle iron, mesh wire (or similar) and hinges to enclose the space between the rails on the side and then using Pelican boxes or other containers to store fluids, etc (easier to attach to the tray using rope, wire, etc).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Selsk wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

I feel like a pack of these https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Neodymium-Magnets-Do...2ARZO?th=1 epoxied on the case and frame would do the trick. But would have to see, would suck to loose a hard case of tools.

You need to account for the g forces on a shock load when uou hit a pithole or similar. Maybe several g of force exerted.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

there's so VERY few truly waterproof storage boxes, especially when length is involved vs square. it's all about the sealing-to-latch pressure interface and the longer you go, the more latches you need.

there's few things worse than an ALMOST water-tight box...let's moisture in and never out. things rust rilly fast. military 'rocket boxes' are good but their width doesn't fit between the structural rails. it's a horrible envrionment to try to seal with an openable box.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

I've seen the floor cut out box. I like that way better than having stuff outside the body shell.
Maybe because I'm a welder and could use a little rust cut out of the floor anyway.
If I were to attach a storage box I'd do it with bolts. I've used the magnets to attach things but magnets work best when they touch metal to metal with more than a couple layers of paint, no undercoating.
That said, it's probably worth experimenting with. Who knows you might need to detach that box with a pry bar ?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Who knows you might need to detach that box with a pry bar ?

With the proper amount of magnets, yes, a crowbar.
I wouldn't glue a shiny nickel plated magnet to a plastic case and put my tools hanging on that.
They need to be the washer-type, with a countersunk screw.

I put a 2gallon gas can in that area under the slider.
I built a cradle for it that holds the weight with steel.
Have to lift it up a little and slide forward to drop the rear out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Here's the thread: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Man that fuel tank looks amazing, nice job fabricating.

I'm going to try a prototype with a small pelican case I have. Basically a big Hide-A-Key box.

These look pretty cool too:
https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Rectangular-Magne...&psc=1
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
there's so VERY few truly waterproof storage boxes, especially when length is involved vs square. it's all about the sealing-to-latch pressure interface and the longer you go, the more latches you need.

there's few things worse than an ALMOST water-tight box...let's moisture in and never out. things rust rilly fast. military 'rocket boxes' are good but their width doesn't fit between the structural rails. it's a horrible envrionment to try to seal with an openable box.

Pelican cases are pretty good. Plus, I am in California...I think I have driven the van 2 times in the rain. The van isn't my primary vehicle. It would be cool to have some oil & fluids, cleaning stuff, jumper cables etc.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

These posts have examples of storage in this area:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497051

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711071

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649165

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650456
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Selsk wrote:
That space behind the door is so nice and long/deep I would love to take advantage...

Did you mean "below" the door?

If so, I'm kind of liking the idea of a rifle-sized pelican case. I imagine fastening the lid of the case to the floor of the van with bolts with the hinges facing the center of the van. As long as the sturdy clasps were accessible, they could be undone and the bottom of the case would swing down to get at the contents. Contents would shift a bit as the case swung down, but sounds workable.

Something like this photoshop mock-up:

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Thought I'd update this thread with another storage box idea.

My last, temporary storage box didn't do so well. Perhaps I should have taken the hint the last time I had to duct tape it back together.

But I liked the dimensions. This RIGID 22" tool box was $31 at HD. It's allegedly water-resistant, meaning you can't totally submerge it but it should be fine with road spray. It has a silicone seal around the rim and clamps down tight.

Various hoses, clamps, splices, cap, rotor, wires, fuel pump, CV joint & boot, v-belt pulleys. all the sensitive stuff in plastic bags.

It has a spring-loaded handle on the front so it's easy to pull out of the clamshell, too.

It doesn't use up all the space, but it should work for my needs.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

That looks great Joe, especially like the little compartments.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

If you need a rifle case full of tools, you're maintenance is shabby or youre takingtoo much stuff. Just my opinion . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
If you need a rifle case full of tools, you're maintenance is shabby or youre takingtoo much stuff. Just my opinion . . .

It's a tool box full of parts, based on mechanical failures I've experienced in the past. Probably it's more for peace of mind than anything, but burned up pulley bearings, ruptured hoses, and shitty ignition parts have put me on the side of the road here and there in the past, so I prefer to be prepared.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

I feel naked without tools. I use them on other buses more than my own.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Under storage rifle case? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I feel naked without tools. I use them on other buses more than my own.... Cool

Same with some parts. I remember when Pam and Jeremy fried their ignition switch at Syncro Solstice one year. They asked if anybody had a spare and around ten people ran up with a new ones in hand. Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: