Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a horn ring again, and how I fixed it :-) Steering wheel
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: I have a horn ring again, and how I fixed it :-) Steering wheel Reply with quote

For hears I've been driving with no horn ring, just the little brass contact pin ( 113.951.549 ) which I could push with my thumb when needed, as the screw holes in the steering wheel were stripped.

Well, I FINALLY ordered some belts for my Unimat lathe, and decided to attack this.

I turned brass stock to about 5mm in diameter, and drilled all the way through, then tapped to 3.5x.6mm. Had a taper tap and a bottoming, but the part was just a bit too long for the tap to go all the way through, so I tapped from both sides.

The holes these thread into go all the way to the back side (front?) of the steering wheel and take the three screws that retain the self-cancelling ring. The washers on these screws are some sort of rather thick plastic, but were entirely too brittle to re-use.

I drilled the threaded holes in the steering wheel for an interference fit with the threaded inserts, and made the length of my pieces so that they were a few millimeters short of the face of the wheel.

Pressed the inserts into the wheel, and put the cancelling ring screws back, replacing the old washers with two #6 stamped nylon washers under the head of each. Found out that the cancelling ring tends to shift a bit, and short to the screw shank and/or insert (causing the horn to stay and, and precipitating a mad dash to pull the fuse), so pulled the screws again, and put about 1/8" long heat shrink on the shankl of each screw, under the head; problem resolved.

Installed the horn ring, and everything works BEAUTIFULLY! I no longer have to destroy my thumb when I need the horn Smile

Happy day!

Sept. '59 build, 1960 model year, 100% stock
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a horn ring again, and how I fixed it :-) Steering wheel Reply with quote

My 64 has the same issue. Stripped threads. Do you have any more images of your work? I was hoping to simply install threaded inserts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: I have a horn ring again, and how I fixed it :-) Steering wheel Reply with quote

That's what I did, made threaded inserts. I just hadn't realized that the screws in the back are in the same drilling as the horn ring screws. This makes it super-easy, as the back screws retain the threaded inserts.
I didn't take more pics, though I wish i had.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: