Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny questions from passersby
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Some of you are losing focus of this thread. You must remember most folks dont see a lot of typ 2's....so in essense there a bit of novelty to ave joe family.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Mary and I went to Winnipeg in 2019. The first two stops we took had some interested pedestrian coming up to us and recalling that they "had one of those too" and rolled it when they were driving drunk. I think this explains the lack of split windows in our part of Canada.

When someone tells me they camped in one when they were a kid, I always ask if it was yellow or lime green. Most of the time they are talking about a seventies Westfalia. "Yeah! It was green and it had a sliding door."
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

When I get the "Did you cut up a Bus to build that Truck" line I tell them " Yea, I used a Chainsaw, came out pretty good, don't ya think ? " Laughing Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I recently had a young girl at a coffee drive-thru excitingly asking me if I live in my van. And though it seemed a slightly offensive question, I told her, "I wish".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Maybe she had visions of going camping in one Very Happy
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I mostly get asked what year is mine. 2nd most asked question for whatever reason is "Is it the original engine?". Once i explain no and give a brief story about the bus, i try to end the conversation because i am not a social butterfly. If they are truly into VW's i'll talk to them otherwise.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Driving my lowered og paint 1965 21 window on real fuchs, safari windows and westy wood slat. An old guy pulls up next to me at a light and asks if I would take $4,000 cash for it right now. I said sure pull over at the next gas station. He does, I go flying by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Driving my lowered og paint 1965 21 window on real fuchs, safari windows and westy wood slat. An old guy pulls up next to me at a light and asks if I would take $4,000 cash for it right now. I said sure pull over at the next gas station. He does, I go flying by.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

Laughing Good one!

The last guy that yelled "I got cash-money for that, $1500 right now!", in my old single cab, at a traffic light. I told him "shit, I just gave $2000 for it yesterday! His eyes got big!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I was moving mine down an alley with my friends on rollers and tow straps; it was a shell with no windows, motor, doors, etc. Someone goes "Does it run?" from the bar at the end of the alley.

Yea...no.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

I get Greatful Dead questions all the time. I usually respond with a line from a Sloan song. I don't hate the bad, just their fans. The Snapcase and Quicksand stickers are lost on most of them.

I get the is it for sale question all the time. My wife will rattle off a a semi correct amount and they walk away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Jeez you guys are making me dread getting mine back on the road!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

Haha, nah! People are people for better or worse. At least they’re interesting enough to interact regardless of how asinine their comments might be. I get people asking me questions and taking pictures at the gas station at 5am. Fuck, let me wake up before an interrogation haha. I let kids hop it (no keys in ignition) to honk the horn haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

Haha, nah! People are people for better or worse. At least they’re interesting enough to interact regardless of how asinine their comments might be. I get people asking me questions and taking pictures at the gas station at 5am. Fuck, let me wake up before an interrogation haha. I let kids hop it (no keys in ignition) to honk the horn haha.

Yeah, that's the spirit!
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

So nobody gets this one at cruise nights-“ I bet u wish u had the little windows on top”. I feel like saying saying- I bet u wish your Cutless was a 442 DB. I told my buddies who are new to the bug seen that this would happen to me and we weren’t there 5 minutes and it happened. All I said was and there it is and walked away. My buddy who’s borderline comedian explained how rude that was.
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:
So nobody gets this one at cruise nights-“ I bet u wish u had the little windows on top”. I feel like saying saying- I bet u wish your Cutless was a 442 DB. I told my buddies who are new to the bug seen that this would happen to me and we weren’t there 5 minutes and it happened. All I said was and there it is and walked away. My buddy who’s borderline comedian explained how rude that was.
This happens all the time... " bet you wish you had one of those (insert random number between 18 and 30) window ones?" Uhhh, no.

As I have og paint buses, I also get "when are you going to paint it?" Uhhh, no.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:

I own a 1965 standard with the factory sunroof. I get people at local car shows tell me you know you could add the skylight windows and make it a 21 window and then it would be worth big money.

I also used to get the guys who tell me that my double cab almost looks like the truck bed was done at the factory. Then they proceed to tell me that Volkswagen never built a truck, but the conversion was done pretty well.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:
So nobody gets this one at cruise nights-“ I bet u wish u had the little windows on top”.

"Nah, the sun shines right in your face while you are driving, it's annoying"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Non VW peep are naive...... I get a lot of " I use to have a 69 vw" or feel in the year.
Yea yea yea...lol
Just friendly conversation.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny questions from passersby Reply with quote

Once they asked "Is it 1969?" And I said, "Um, it's currently 1989" (Which was the year at the time)

Once was in Sue's 63 23 window, which was just back on the road. We drove to run an errand, with the only glass the safari windows, the only interior the front seats, just a shiny painted shell with running gear, trim, and bumpers, no sunroof yet. First drive in over 15 years, since it was taken apart.
A guy asked "Are you going to put windows in it?" Sue was stumped by the ridiculousness of the question, so I said "It's a work in progress."
What an odd thing to ask.

Generally, whatever words they actually use, it seems they usually just mean "cool bus", so I don't think the answer is too important.
Sometimes they say dumb stuff, or make cheap offers, (as much of the above), so I just tend to say, "That's nice."

Once met someone whose family used to have a 58 westy with propane fridge.

Be a good ambassador.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: