Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing door lock mechanism
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a good video online of how to get out my door locking mechanism on my 69 bug convertible. Just trying to figure out if it's a nightmare job or simple. Any info would be appreciated. When I close the door the "u" shaped piece won't click shut and hold the door closed.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

If you're talking about the handle itself with the lock in it, there is a phillips head screw in the edge of the door, most likely behind the door seal. Remove that, and push the handle towards the front of the car. Then take out the rear of the handle first, then the front. The locking mechanism can then be taken out of the handle by removing a pin. You can drill out the end of the peined over pin, and replace with a spring pin. The "U" shaped piece you're talking about is, I believe, connected to the locking mechanism by a rod. I think that "U" shaped piece is spring loaded to click closed, so the spring may have broken or come lose?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

No not the handle but the locking mechanism thats inside the door. The one part sticks out to grab the bar when you shut the door.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

It's not that bad to take them out. Obviously, you need to remove the interior trim panel.

I did mine a couple summers ago, although my window regulators were really sticky, too, so I removed the window regulators to clean them and lube them. I did all of it at the same time.

I believe, if I remember correctly, you have to remove the window run channel in the rear of the door to get the lock out. I think there is a 10mm bolt on the bottom, and then there is a metal spring slide clip on the top. Remove the 10mm and then pull down on the run channel and it should come out. You also need to remove the little lock knob from the top of the door; it just unscrews.

When you get it out, spend some time with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush to remove all the old grease and dirt, then get some good penetrating oil (not WD40). My favorite is GM Heat Valve Lubricant (part number 88862628), but PB Blaster will also work. Spray every moving part you can see, and try to work all of the moving parts back and forth. Some may require a pocket screwdriver or a small pick tool. There is one pawl in particular you should probably be focused on. It is the pawl that latches the lock.

Once everything is moving freely, clean all the penetrating oil up with brake cleaner again, then apply some grease to all of those same moving parts. Or, another GM product I like is Super Lube, part number 12346241. It is in a spray can. I would use the nozzle straw so you can pinpoint the application. After spraying out a liquid, it turns into a lightweight silicone grease.

Once satisfied, put it back together. It is important to make sure the plastic vapor barrier gets put back on. If it doesn't, the trim panel will experience water damage and will start to curl.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At one time I know I took a bunch of pictures when I did this, but the one above is the only one I could find. If I come across them, I will post them up.

EDIT: I found the pics. Give me a few and I'll write it up.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

My car is a 1984 Mexican Beetle. Most of it should be the same as yours, but there may be minor differences.

First you have to remove the interior door trim panel.

Pop the plastic cover off the window crank handle and remove the Phillip's screw. Then pull the handle off.

Remove the door pull handle next. There are two Phillip's screws holding it on.

Remove the escutcheon from behind the unlatch handle.

Remove the Phillip's screw from the bezel, then work the bezel off.

Now get a trim tool to remove all the retainers holding the trim panel to the door. It doesn't have to be just like the one pictured, just something thin and strong enough to release the clips.

Remove the lock knob by unscrewing it.

If yours has not disintegrated, remove the foam from around the unlatch handle. The actuator rod is probably going through a hole in the side if it.

Remove the fasteners for the unlatch handle. Mine are 10mm, but yours might be Phillip's screws. Once free from the door, gently let the handle hang from the rod.

In my previous post about the window run channel, I was wrong about the fastener, it is a Phillip's screw.

Now, I tried to take a decent picture of the spring clip at the top of the run channel. The rear window felt has been removed. This photo is of the clip before removal:

And this one is after I have pulled downward on the channel to release the clip. Take a note on what it looks like before, so you know where it goes when you put it back together.

Several inches above where the run channel screw was located, is another Phillip's screw to remove.

Now, on the side of the door, you need to pull the door seal away from the latch area to expose more fasteners.

These two screws are for the latch:

This one is for the outside door handle. In the picture, two above, you can see this screw is a flat head, but that is the wrong screw in my door. Yours will be a Phillip's in that location.

Then, remove the outside door handle. Move the handle forward, then pull the rear of the handle out away from the door.

You will then push the latch into the "closed" position to get it out through the hole in the side of the door.

Then, pull the assembly out of the door. Be careful not to bend the rod that goes up to the lock knob when removing the assembly.

Now you have it out! The next two are spraying the lock assembly with the aforementioned GM Penetrant. I didn't get any pictures of all the moving parts, but just study it and you'll see how it works, and what needs to move and be freed up.

Scrubbing with a toothbrush:

Then, after a brake cleaner bath, greasing everything. I was out of Super Lube at the time, so I filled a medicine syringe with bearing grease so I could squirt it into small places. The rest I brushed on with an acid brush:

That's it! Read backwards to re-assemble.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, this is very helpful. I appreciate the effort to repost all of that.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

Why is your door seal where it is? Does it seal better there than the normal location? I will be installing mine soon, so looking for a better way.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

It’s normally in the normal place. It needs to be repositioned to access the door latch screws.

Here is how it normally looks:

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

I am still stuck trying to remove my door lock mechanism. Even though Paul gave me all sorts of info, once I got into it I realized that the convertible setup is quite different. If anyone can help who has experience with the convertible door that would be great. I have most of it apart but can't figure out how to get the rear glass guide out to get at the lock mechanism. Not sure if I have to remove the glass as well, hopefully not. The rear guide also has a bolt that appears to be attached that goes through the door metal making it near impossible to slide out even if it is free.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

I apologize. I overlooked that you have a convertible. I never had a convertible door apart.

Maybe Cusser has had his apart and can help.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
I apologize. I overlooked that you have a convertible. I never had a convertible door apart.

Maybe Cusser has had his apart and can help.

Unfortunately, I cannot help, as I've not had the door apart on my 1971 convertible, except for the door panel, to clean and grease the regulator.

However, I currently have an issue with my driver door window, have to manually help it up. So I'd like to learn more about this as well. I understand new window regulators are no longer available for convertibles, and not sure if I'd be able to fix mine or just live with it this way. Yes, the window is down 99% of the time I drive it. I looked with flashlight and mirror, does not look to me like any of the gear teeth are stripped or missing....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot help, as I've not had the door apart on my 1971 convertible, except for the door panel, to clean and grease the regulator.

However, I currently have an issue with my driver door window, have to manually help it up. So I'd like to learn more about this as well. I understand new window regulators are no longer available for convertibles, and not sure if I'd be able to fix mine or just live with it this way. Yes, the window is down 99% of the time I drive it. I looked with flashlight and mirror, does not look to me like any of the gear teeth are stripped or missing....

Is yours just becoming stiff to operate? That's what my windows were doing. Cleaning and lubricating everything has it working well again. I might have pictures of that, too.

Hopefully for the OP, someone with a convertible that has had the locks out will be along.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing door lock mechanism Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
Is yours just becoming stiff to operate? That's what my windows were doing. Cleaning and lubricating everything has it working well again.

No, that's why I cleaned and lubed in the past. Seems like the gears are slipping. I've lubed everything I could access.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: