Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Alex’s First Drive

Link

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Alex’s First Drive

Link

FANTASTIC, congrats from germany. LOWLIGHT FOR EVER, yeahhhhhhhh Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Ah but who was more nervous, Michael or Alex? Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

[quote="udo dreisoerner"]
Trylon wrote:

FANTASTIC, congrats from germany. LOWLIGHT FOR EVER, yeahhhhhhhh Cool

Thanks Udo! They are pretty special aren’t they?
However late I am, I am happy to be at the party!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Ah but who was more nervous, Michael or Alex? Laughing

I debated cutting the sound and putting in The Ride of the Valkyries…
But I realized my dialogue was more dramatic.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

So we have been informed by the Aussie Trimmer that we have installed the humps and middle mat too far back. This seems to contradict the advice we were given to make sure that the middle mat seam meet folded down rear seat carpet precisely. (By the way, this precise meeting of seams seemed to be confirmed by the glue line of the last middle carpet installed there.). In any case, Kev’s advice will bring the curve of the middle mat down and get it off the humps. Of course, now the middle mat seam will fall under the carpet of the rear seat. I am getting the impression that we misunderstood the advice…

In any case, we are not pulling this up and redoing it — we are under a deadline people. For another day…
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
So we have been informed by the Aussie Trimmer that we have installed the humps and middle mat too far back. This seems to contradict the advice we were given to make sure that the middle mat seam meet folded down rear seat carpet precisely. (By the way, this precise meeting of seams seemed to be confirmed by the glue line of the last middle carpet installed there.). In any case, Kev’s advice will bring the curve of the middle mat down and get it off the humps. Of course, now the middle mat seam will fall under the carpet of the rear seat. I am getting the impression that we misunderstood the advice…

In any case, we are not pulling this up and redoing it — we are under a deadline people. For another day…

Wow,
Maybe by dumb luck I installed my correctly Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Finished wiring!

Link

Dash lights working as well. As do the wipers.
Interestingly, the self parking on the wipers was at best intermittent with the table top power supply but works consistently with the car battery. Seems the load has to be stronger to stop it in its tracks— otherwise is just keeps moving past the shut off.

Got a new battery (same model as what was in it).
Tested generator— check.
Found missing wire on voltage regulator, tested — check.

We are ready for the road. Now let’s make the interior ready for display.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Carpet looks nice. Where did you get it from? I forget.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Carpet looks nice. Where did you get it from? I forget.

The Aussie Trimer! https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=76750

We have decided to address the problems with our installation tomorrow.
I guess that qualifies as another day.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

You are moving right along! I am way behind you. Glad that you are having such great results and your carpet looks great. Can't wait to see it glued down.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc

Last edited by Marcdeb on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
You are moving right along! I am way behind you. Glad to you having such great results and your carpet looks great. Can't wait to see it glued down.

No need to wait — its glued (well all but the front side little pieces!
The problem is that some of it is glued down incorrectly so we are going to have to lift it and try again.

Still no luck with the offspring interns?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
You are moving right along! I am way behind you. Glad to you having such great results and your carpet looks great. Can't wait to see it glued down.

The problem is that some of it is glued down incorrectly so we are going to have to lift it and try again.

Still no luck with the offspring interns?

Haha. No, they show no interest, maybe when it's on the road??? We''ll see. The plan is to finish putting the exterior together and get it inspected. Then put some miles on it before snow. Maybe I'll see some interest after they see me driving into their driveways. I predict some of the neighbors will ask them about it and that may prod them a bit??? The interior can wait. We're leaving for vacation next week so not much will get down the next 2 weeks.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Any advice after your first try? What not to do?? What works best? Is peeling it back up a complicated situation? I would have thought it would not come back up very easily?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Any advice after your first try? What not to do?? What works best? Is peeling it back up a complicated situation? I would have thought it would not come back up very easily?

Well, we are using 3m 77 with a good even coat on both surfaces. Tacky almost immediately. Seems to hold quite well. I think the felt underlay is on unless we scrape it up but we are finding that we can lift the actual carpet (along with some of the top layer of felt) and respray it to good effect. Obviously is would be better not to but we are noobs and this is our learner car.

The Aussie Trimer has a recommended order for his set but I am not sure that all sets have the same pieces. I can post the diagram if you are interested. But it’s basically back to front with the middle mat after the humps, followed by the rear seat arm rests. He said we should have darted the felt on the humps but we did not know this and had already put it down. The felt is thin enough that the small lumps do not show through the carpet. You also need to be sure to leave a gap for the side cards to fit down into (i.e. don’t push the hump felt and carpet flush up against the car sides)

Our main problem was trying to understand what the heck the advice was that everyone was giving us on The Samba. We understood it to mean match the piping of the mat to the piping of the flattened rear seat. This does not square with Kev’s advice, because, according to Kev, we have put the middle mat too far back. It should go where its curves logically take it so that they do not ride up on the humps. This will likely put it close to the edge near the rear seat and the rear seat flap will overlap it. Guess that is an easy way to get a clean line across the back. You also have to figure in when and where you are going to glue the vinyl piece that finishes the rear seat between the top and bottom. Seems it should be glued down along the back edge behind the rear seat before the felt and middle mat.

The little rear seat armrest pieces hang over if you simply butt them up against the humps in the rear so to have it go right to the front edge, it seems that they will need to go under the hump carpets and the humps will give the clean piping edge.

Is what I have just said factory? Who knows. But I think it will do for our purposes. Your mileage may vary.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on

Last edited by Trylon on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Sounds like many parts I've put on recently. After I'm done, I seem to think "Wow, that would be a lot easier the second time around!"

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Sounds like many parts I've put on recently. After I'm done, I seem to think "Wow, that would be a lot easier the second time around!"

Or even the third!

Btw: added one more thing to watch out for in the description — You also need to be sure to leave a gap for the side cards to fit down into (i.e. don’t push the hump felt and carpet flush up against the car sides).
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Hope you did not yet glue down the narrow carpet pieces outboard of the rear seat- you need to first fit the vinyl pieces that cover the painted metal, which extend approx. an inch outboard of the ledge for when the rear seatback is folded down. Then the new carpet fits over that.

Here you can see the vinyl pieces (otahuhu's gallery) on his lowlight-

This is a much later Ghia and is not using the original factory-style smooth vinyl for that area, but shows the fitment well (Legacy's gallery).

Ghias4ever unrestored '59:

Finally, the vinyl pieces on a slightly later Ghia from your very own carpet supplier's gallery (The aussie Trimmer)-

Last edited by Rome on Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hope you did not yet glue down the narrow carpet pieces outboard of the rear seat- you need to first fit the vinyl pieces that cover the painted metal, which extend approx. an inch outboard of the ledge for when the rear seatback is folded down. Then the new carpet fits over that.

Here you can see the vinyl pieces (otahuhu's gallery) on his lowlight-

This is a much later Ghia and is not using the original factory-style smooth vinyl for that area, but shows the fitment well (Legacy's gallery).

Ghias4ever unrestored '59:

Thanks for the pictures Rome! Happily the “arm rests” have yet to be glued— we will refit the middle mat and then tackle the vinyl before we do.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 248 of 358

Jump to: