Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Standard walk-through build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

That white on green is a beautiful combination - looks lovely..
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That white on green is a beautiful combination - looks lovely..

Thanks, that outside shot does not do a good job showing the color. The top is a blue white but the photo does make it look much more white. Lets see if having a contrast of printer paper next to it helps?

What is funny is when I first painted the inside we were like, oh crap, it is way too blue. Then you add the turkis and it totally changes how blue the white looks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Colors look great, I've seen a few restored buses in Turkis/Blue-White where the Blue-White is much too mint green.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Nubby wrote:
What size motor are you running?

Sorry, just saw this. It is a 1600cc dual port motor.

Funny thing about the motor. I bought a 1971 bus for $300 with this motor that had a $2650 engine rebuilt with a new case, heads, P/C back in 1996 then sat. Came with the receipts...

I stripped the entire bus and sold the remains for $300 thinking, wow! $300 for a stripped bay window? Then it went up for $1900 and sold in a day. I was out of the market for too long I guess...

Oh well, motor seems to run really well. Started right up, just changed the oil with VR1 racing for the zink.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

So obviously a personal preference but I am very happy with my license plate mounting. I dont like how the normal mounting blocks the lower V trim. Clearly the best look is no front plate. I have custom black plates on order but the DMV says that take 6 months!!! Ouch

Oh, I adjusted the bumper after looking at my photo so the passenger side is level.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

And I installed the sunroof, since this photo the screws and rear chrome clamps/

6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

What a great build! I can't wait to see the final product. Congrats on your accomplishments thus far!

It is what it is
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Still a million things to do but it is nice to finally drive it around town. This will get me motivated to push through the details. So much fun to drive one again!!!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Sweet, driving it will definitely get you even more motivated.

I just noticed it's a 2 pop-out Bus. Interesting as that seems to be less common these days for what has survived.
I'm surprised you didn't add more popputs along the way.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Everett, regarding the pop-outs. It is more that I don't really care for pop outs (more work), the safari and sunroof is enough. That and restoring pop outs is a pain. But 6 pop outs do look better IMO...

I am almost done making the interior. TMI seat covers and made the door panels. Everyone who sees the bus loves the happy colors!

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Figured I would update this to save my own info on making the interior door panels since I have looked it up a few times.

TMI Vinyl = Como Green 324 , Phoshor 330 buy at Jbugs. Lowest price I have fond and have been free shipping. http://www.jbugs.com/product/Y-VINTAGE.html

4 yards of the 324 and 3 of the 330 will do a walk through complete minus the luggage area and spare tire cover.

Matt Miller Piping. Not the same color or size as TMI. however, it is 100% identical to the factory piping. I think it was $5 per yard.

Glue: DAP Weldwood Contact Cement Top & Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray Grade 1 GALLON (Please don't use a spray can glue, no matter what anybody says, please...)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAP-Weldwood-Contact-Ceme...SwZQRYfq~T

Trim = Wolfsburg West along with door panel screws. Plus Masonite from local hardware store.

I use a Porter Cable model US58T2 22 gauge upholster staple gun for this and basically any upholster stapling including my boat. I like stainless staples but on the inside of a bus non-stainless will be fine.

To spray the DAP contact cement a $10 Harbor Freight HVLP gun works just fine. Just leave glue in it and it will last for several days without cleaning and then toss it when done... or clean it if you care. You can spend nearly as much in solvent as you do a new gun.

One hint for the WW door panel screw kit is go to Ace and get some washers that fit inside the aluminum "cones". It is easy to find a size that wont show but will take the load against the vinyl so the aluminum washers in the WW door panel screw kit wont cut into the vinyl. Then you can tighten the screws as much as you want without worrying about cutting the vinyl like a cookie cutter does.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Those panels look fantastic. Nice job!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Great job! Man, I wish I was motivated to finish my bus. Keep up the great work, I'm sure you are inspiring someone here. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Have not done much, we dive it around town. Finally converted the bay window middle seat and upholstered it.

Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Really nice job.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Wowza! Impressive. I'm digging the matching seatbelts.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

too bad you're selling.

Didn't see the whole thread; got belly pans?

Ya, odd you didn't add more popout windows.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
too bad you're selling.

Didn't see the whole thread; got belly pans?

Ya, odd you didn't add more popout windows.

yes: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Standard walk-through build Reply with quote

Sold, off to the next home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: