Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop Installation Problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterfraenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

Hi there, I know there are already a couple forums covering stuff like this but they are pretty old and just hoping to get some MUCH needed advice. Well I’m working on 76 Westfalia “Cindy” and I had just installed the canvas on to the poptop, had to give it a couple of go’s but eventually got it to line up and staple on decently. Yesterday, had some buddies over and installed the poptop to the bus again and the canvas hanging down looked pretty good and it definitely seemed like i was going to have enough length around, which made me feel pretty good, reaffirming that i did it (at least mostly) correct so far (First Picture). So today I get to installing those screws to the bottom of the canvas finishing the job, and everything is lining up pretty well and installing pretty good, and looking pretty good. I finish the front and the a little bit of each side, but i thought might as well do the back first and then just tackle the sides, kind of taking a corners first approach. Well I get the back and try to fit it along the track and truly it just seems like there’s no way it’s going on without ripping (view photos). I got the canvas from the previous owner, so it’s not like I can go to Bus Depot (canvas is from there) and say hey, ordered this from you guys and it’s not fitting. I’ve had the bus 9 months and god knows how long the previous owner had it and didn’t do anything with it. This whole process has just been a long, absolute nightmare. Guess it’s what you get when you’re a 16 year old kid with big dreams, starting this project when I was 15 before I could even drive. But any advice? Same thing happen to anyone else and figure it out? Better yet, any veterans of these beasts of a problem who have installed a canvas or two in the past, in Phoenix, AZ willing to help? Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

Hello,
Cool dream for a 16 year old... and a nice bus to start with.
You could try removing the plywood (bed platform), get that out of your way. That looks to be your issue, just watch it on the reinstall. Looking good so far.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

Since you're in Phoenix, you should look up the Arizona Bus Club. I bet those guys have plenty of local experience and would be willing to assist.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

Unscrew the side portions you have already done. Then do the rear while stretching/pulling the fabric towards the corners before securing each screw. Also slightly lower the top down some and prop it up with a painters pole. This loosens and allows the fabric more give to secure your screws/the canvas. Then do the sides last while also pulling/stretching the fabric towards the back Before each screw.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

how'd it go i have the same top / problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. ended up cutting the aluminum mounting trim, and making it fit. not the best option, but the only one i could see.

see my build, i touch on the subject:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=220

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

Put the top down a few inches , hold it in place with 1x2 or similar. Then stretch the tent into place.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

I too used the BD three window canvas. Removing the bed deck will certainely help, but in order to do that, I belive the headbanger comes out as well to access bed deck screws. Not sure as all my interior was removed when I did mine.

The best advice I can offer is what it took for my install. Your front looks like it can be pulled tighter around the corner. As you come around the corner and head down the sides, pull the material as hard as you can aft before putting in each screw. Go one screw at a time from each side and work towards the back. Dont worry, you wont tear it. Have a buddy pull and hold it while you screw it down.

When you get to the rear corner, it will still look like you will be short, but by picking up just an 1/8” on each side screw will add up to an extra 1” in the corner. Pull hard as before, and you will be surprised at how much it “gives”.

This is mine immediately after screwing the back corners down.

I could have gotten mine tighter I believe. Was content with it after the effort it took to get it done however. I had to rescrew my sides 2 times as I didnt pull nearly hard enough to afford the material I needed in the back the first times.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

That is one of the worse jobs I've ever done on my bus. Here's what worked for me. Do the back first, just a few screws to keep it down and I think I left them a little bit loose. Then come up to the front and get a couple of the front screws in. Then corners then sides. Then tighten everything down. Also a little ratcheting screwdriver will help in the corners, I couldn't get a normal screwdriver to stand straight up and not have the handle be right into my canvas. Something like this link: https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Ratcheting-Scr...&psc=1
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

on my economy model bus depot canvas- i started out stapling the top (left it on the bus) with about 1/2 over lap- when i began screwing in the bottom, the rear was never going to stretch/reach- i noticed the main problem was between the rear bottom and the front top, the stretch was very apparent- so i removed all the staples used an overlap at the top the absolute smallest distance that my stapler would reach, which ended up being about 1/4 an inch- when i went to put in the bottom, by the hair of my chinny chin chin i was able to get the aluminum strip in, but i marked on the bus and the strip the pre-existing screw hole location, cut away the plastic where ever possible over the screw hole and used a punch to locate the screw hole thru the canvas before installing- i started with the rear aluminum strip, then the front and sides last
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

not an installation problem- zipper problem- busted side zipper with fewer than 10 zups on it= cheap pus depot chit dont fall for the economy sales pitch- you really do get what you pay for- now i can look forward to safety pin closure for a while
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Installation Problems Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
not an installation problem- zipper problem- busted side zipper with fewer than 10 zups on it= cheap pus depot chit dont fall for the economy sales pitch- you really do get what you pay for- now i can look forward to safety pin closure for a while

Sorry to hear. That’s standard for their budget line canvas due to the cheap zipper quality. I see it sometimes sooner then later on them. Usually it’s the front windows that do it the most due to the Velcro sides and top zipper. And also the side zippers just because of the quality of them. I personally recommend the ACME BRANDED CANVASES that Wolfsburg and West Coast Metric sell. Better zippers, no Velcro, and bigger windows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: