Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement spring style antenna for late bay?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find the 'spring style' antenna for my '77? I don't know if these were OEM or a dealer option, but I feel like I've seen this style of antenna on many other older vehicles, so I figure it's got to be a pretty universal item. I think I just don't know what keywords to look for.

I think it's a two piece whip (not sure if it telescopes or not), which has a sprung base at the bottom. And the sprung base attaches to the mount with a small set screw.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (NotchBoy's beautiful '77 pictured)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought a repro antenna from Bus Depot a couple months back, and it was just the cheapest, flimsiest piece of shit. A cheap hollow antenna crimped onto a chintzy plastic base. Since I already have this very nice solid metal base attached to my Bus, I figure it's worth trying to find the antenna that fits it.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044US401/Replacement-Side-Mount-Antenna.html

I put one of these on my 68.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044US401/Replacement-Side-Mount-Antenna.html

I put one of these on my 68.

That looks like the ticket. I knew I just wasn't looking up the right thing.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Hell, for $12, im gonna get one. And I have the OG one still installed. Its bent and rusty, so might as well go new

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

On my 79 I have the original yet. When looking to replace the 68 one I found that at Crutchfield. Works great. Glad I could help.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

I had a spiral wound antenna with an extra flexible area at the bottom that lasted me longer than any other automotive antenna I have ever had. Would love to find another.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

thanks for the link to the Crutchfield antenna. for $12 i might buy 2.

looks to be the same mounting base as the one on my '79, but has the 'spring' in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link - just bought one. I've had so many broken off my bus over the years when parked in downtown Portland - not sure why it was so tempting to reach out and bust the antenna off. Rolling Eyes

The current one is pretty wobbly, so something sturdy is way better.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

For those who bought it, how is the product?
I just received mine from Banggood and it is a piece of crap…
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
For those who bought it, how is the product?
I just received mine from Banggood and it is a piece of crap…

It hasn't arrived yet.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Okay, so the antenna arrived.

It's surprisingly well made, actually. The whip and spring are really high quality, the base is plastic but it's pretty well molded.

The problem is that the antenna attaches to the base with a screw thread, not a set screw like the old style. Meaning it will not work with your vintage metal antenna bracket.

I mean, I guess you could take the old bracket off and try to cut threads on it with a die, but that sounds too much like work to me. Plus, my old mounting post was pretty corroded.

So, you have to change the bracket too, which isn't that big of a deal.

All in all, for $12 I don't think you can go wrong.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

I finally decided to put the Wolfsburg West one as it looks familiar to yours. But it doesn’t feel heavy or strong, although it is the best I’ve found so far.
I wished there was a nice and strong one with all metal, that doesn’t make any noise when you touch the antenna and stays tight. Oh well, one day perhaps.

Enjoy your music!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

It may or may not help...but the best overall antenna's....are made by Hirschmann.

look for them by name. Lots of NOS and vintage out there.

The modern version is available for teh 1977 bus at Autohuaz AZ...but lots of stuff out there if you can find a part #. Ray
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring style antenna for late bay? Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

I finally decided to put the Wolfsburg West one as it looks familiar to yours. But it doesn’t feel heavy or strong, although it is the best I’ve found so far.
I wished there was a nice and strong one with all metal, that doesn’t make any noise when you touch the antenna and stays tight. Oh well, one day perhaps.

Enjoy your music!

This one from Crutchfield is leaps and bounds above the piece of garbage from BusDepot.

It seemed to tighten up very well, but just for some added security I added high strength loctite to the threads on the mount where the whip attaches.

Ironically, I do not use the radio. My radio has been gutted as the shell for a bluetooth speaker of sorts.

This is 100% for aesthetics.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: