Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

really think the end is near for a lot of us
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

this act in a half? useless and a violation of what makes this country so great.

meh...

the coal rollers are just fools. i mean it's just gross negligence imho.

i see electric cars being a option for some...and it could make sense in heavily packed areas.

but...

those who gobble the goo of Muskrat lend a blind eye to the fact he's probably burned more fuel going for a ride 33,000 feet in the air than all of his cars would have over their lifespan had they been ICE powered. where is the EPA on that? his clientele should be up in arms, no?

same deal with penis rocket guy....how environmentally friendly is his company that will literally deliver 10 paperclips to you each day for all eternity as long as you keep buying them? lets not forget the 6 foot strip of shipping air bags in the box they came with

again, i like clean air and water as much as the next guy but there is zero common sense in any of this.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
In the ‘60s & ‘70s, these same climatologists were predicting a global cooling & were trying to devise ways of melting the ice caps. We have gone from being doomed by global cooling, to being doomed by global warming. And since none of their predictions have come true, it’s now called climate change. Rolling Eyes Do you know what the cause for global cooling was? The internal combustion engine.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html?m=1

Just one of California’s wild fires emits more pollutants than all of the cars in the US & those wild fires burned for decades or more at a time before human intervention.

The problem is that we are actually seeing the modeling predictions for warming- aka 'climate change'- come true. The only issue with the models is that they were way off in predicting how fast. Seems there's an extremely good chance that the hell they are predicting for 2070 to 2100 could be here this decade.

Sure, there were a lot of wrong predictions in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that seem silly to us now, but for sixty years we have known that something was going wrong with our climate. The reason the modeling and predictions are more accurate now than they were then is that we have learned a lot and also made advancements if forecasting, etc. after some horrific losses of life from weather events in the '60s and '70s.

Incredibly enough, the Nixon Administration was really on top of climate change. It was one of Nixon's intense interests. Scientists working with the administration then basically concluded (in the early 1970s) that we had about 50 years till the shit hit the fan if things didn't change. Guess what? Here we are.
Carter also took it very seriously. The contributions of Nixon and Carter started a worldwide movement that nearly stopped climate change in the 80s. Nearly.

https://www.livescience.com/63229-losing-earth-climate-change.html

I agree with the title of this thread, but probably in a little bit different way than it was intended.

Here is the best timeline I can find for post Carter Administration
L.A. Times wrote:

1992: President George H.W. Bush signs the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. The agreement provides the foundation for international efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to “prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system.”

1997: President Clinton agrees to cut greenhouse gases 7% below 1990 levels under the Kyoto Protocol, the first international treaty with legally binding obligations to limit emissions. The U.S. signed the agreement but was not bound by it because it was never ratified by the U.S. Senate.

2001: President George W. Bush announces the U.S. will not join the Kyoto Protocol, opposing it on the grounds that it exempted developing nations from mandatory emissions cuts.

2015: President Obama pledges to cut U.S. emissions 26% to 28% below 2005 levels by 2025 under the landmark Paris climate agreement. For the first time, nearly all countries committed to act to keep the global rise in temperatures “well below” 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) in order to avoid calamitous levels of climate change.

2017: President Trump announces the U.S. will quit the Paris agreement, in a sharp turn toward pro-fossil fuel policies and “America First” isolationism. The withdrawal does not officially take effect until near the end of his term.

2021: President Biden moves to rejoin the Paris agreement on his first day in office. This week his administration will announce a new pledge to cut emissions 50% to 52% by 2030, establishing one of the world’s most ambitious climate targets.

“It’s important to keep in mind that over the last four years, our cities and our states, our business and our workers, they stayed in,” the official said. “We kept marching toward the targets of the Paris agreement.”

Sorry, this addition to the thread may spark a political battle leading locking the thread, but let's try to remain calm.
During this whole period of time from the EPA continued it's efforts to curb pollution,
Continuing to tighten requirements for clean air and water.
And everytime gear heads, SEMA, INDUSTRY went off saying all kinds of stuff, but basically saying "we can't".
So here it is 2021, the water in the great lakes doesn't catch on fire, and the air is clear in L.A. except when Ca. burns.
We also have the fastest cars, Electric cars being nearly at the top of that food chain.
All this happened because while a quite a few where saying "we can't",
some folks just said, OK, let's get it done.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

The facts are, ICE engines are actually good and probably here to stay. Most of this political garbage is made out to be a "caring & passionate" political hack.
There are a few a holes that do stupid stuff w their cars, but for the most part we are just driving old cars. Crude is a natural resource and will never run dry, on the other "fake" hand, these e cars have a finite source of fuel at present and the "run-off" that is created by mining and seepage is proving to be killing fish, livestock and soon genetic mutations in humans. The public, or should I say media is never telling the truth (in the USA), nor are they well informed of the science. "Change" is often moved by profit not progress, the auto and truck manufacturers have made giant leaps in reducing ICE "bad" emissions 20+ years ago. The move to show CO2 is the culprit is just downright ignorance, and Not true. Just one large volcanic eruption can change the climate around the globe, it has happened many times and it will again. The history in Europe can prove this and the outcome has always been good for humans. Scientific history shows CO2 at 15x higher levels than today w/o even a road built, and the polar bears are still here. The only bad emissions are people being uninformed of facts, too lazy to find the facts, or believing a "lawyer" turned politician. I remember when Greenpeace tried to ban chlorine, and chlorine is an element on the periodic table. A head full of dreads doesn't equal to a climate degree. Any historic climate change has been and always will be decided by our sun and its cycles, not by autos, or a profit driven organization like the IPCC. The real problem is a flock of sheep can be scared off a cliff setting off a firecracker.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

And everytime gear heads, SEMA, INDUSTRY went off saying all kinds of stuff, but basically saying "we can't".

yes/no/maybe

in many motorsports fuel cells are pretty much sealed up tight...can't have them leak. other than them not running cats these guys have them tuned for max power and running pretty dam clean. if they weren't you'd see a swirling plume of crap at nascar events.

even the die hard carb guy has to admit EFI is far superior. many motorsports have adapted EFI at this point

is sema trying to protect the industry? of course they are....what lobbyist doesn't. i think they are fighting for some middle ground here.

in terms of some of the tuners (by that i mean ECU flashes) many just tweek boost/timing etc and optimize performance. i mean...even volvo offers a tune thru polestar which you can get at any dealer

i do hold issue with the removal of components with the side note that shoveling a LS6 into a 69 camaro replacing the stock engine has already made that better than the carbureted boat anchor it replaced. that engine alone runs cleaner as a whole without EVAP and cats so i don't see a real reason to add those systems in an example like that

i don't know what the answer is...and honestly i don't think anyone does.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

I'll just keep puttering around in a 62 yr old beetle or the 42 yr old bus, or the 44 yr old Benz, or the 9 yr old Jetta. I can only drive one at a time.
With the sunk materials and manufacturing energy consumed to build what I drive, I'm good with it. It's not like I'm buying a new car every few years.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

I am waiting on the timed when we will have a day for a 'purge' --- just like the movie. Lots of ammo is where I will put my money - that is a safe bet.

I'd consider sometimes the possibility that the virus is the purge on a large scale, but not as 'personal'. I almost wonder if we're experiencing ww3. However, it's not going to paralyse me, I just keep an open eye and an open enquiring mind, adapt and take care of my family as best I can. I must say that there's a lot of odd changes being made in the world. At the end of the day, we all have our own choices to make, and we should strive for a clean, free, harmonious life and leave a garden for the children.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

-A tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis

This statement is so true- happening as we speak. In their minds, if you do not agree w/ them or walk in lock-step, YOU are the enemy of the state and should be purged.

People are not paying much attention and that is exactly how they like it. Easy pickings...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Ive been thinking on this for quite a while now....so....witch end is it?? Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive been thinking on this for quite a while now....so....witch end is it?? Shocked

We’ve been Tuckered, again…

Laughing
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Crude is a natural resource and will never run dry.....
I'm not so sure I agree with this statement.

I have been following your reasons for the most part and I can't say I disagree with what your saying. (And if I have it correctly, what you are saying is that man may contribute to the global warming/environmental change but only a drop in the bucket compared to how the sun and other factors impact the environment). I think we do know that in the end the sun will win - like in a 100 billion years or whatever.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Quote:
And if I have it correctly, what you are saying is that man may contribute to the global warming/environmental change but only a drop in the bucket compared to how the sun and other factors impact the environment).

This is wrong. The seasonal ozone hole over the South Pole is one simple example of how we discovered something we were using was bad Shinola, we spent some money to work out the chemistry, banned the Shinola, and now are watching the Earth repair itself. Projections I last looked were for full repair in 2070
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

cant we just make a big blower/sucker and suck up the bad stuff and compress it in a tank so we would be kool again....the end.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
cant we just make a big blower/sucker and suck up the bad stuff and compress it in a tank so we would be kool again....the end.

The machinery to do this is called “trees”
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

The machinery to do this is called “trees”

actually, thats already a thing kinda.

the nuclear plants, when the by product is released, its not. its stored into 3 large tanks. each in stages. i forget how long. 7 days each stage i think. the bad particles and radiation decayes, and then its let out as white "clouds" through the stacks.

i also remember there was a team in Dehli who was close to making giant sir cleaner towers. this was 4ish years ago. dont know anything about it now.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

the nuclear plants, when the by product is released, its not. its stored into 3 large tanks. each in stages. i forget how long. 7 days each stage i think. the bad particles and radiation decayes, and then its let out as white "clouds" through the stacks.

?

The white clouds are steam from a separate water source to cool the radioactive water source that is used to power the generator turbines by being heated by the fission process. Radiation does not decay in 7 days or even 21 days after 3 different storage tanks.

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/radwaste.html
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

?

The white clouds are steam from a separate water source to cool the radioactive water source that is used to power the generator turbines by being heated by the fission process. Radiation does not decay in 7 days or even 21 days after 3 different storage tanks.

Don’t forget to put the garbage out on the curb Thursday morning Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

?

Well, then I've been told a lie!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb.

No an 83 year old mechanical engineer told me this IRR. Proof his memory is failing tho. Doctor literally told him he's too smart to get alsiemers lol.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: really think the end is near for a lot of us Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
YDBD wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

?

eye wood hate to see those dirt eating kids nowdays from back then....or their offsprung.

Don’t forget to put the garbage out on the curb Thursday morning Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hmm that looks like the toxic waste dump that I went to school ontop of 4 years after they had filled it and covered it up and built the DOD 678 grade school for use military brats to go to so we could develop cancer 10- 20 years lator .oh what fun we had there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: